Dr. Doolittle

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Dr. Doolittle

Post by PixarVixen » April 29th, 2006, 2:42 pm

So I'm watching Cartoon Network and I see a commercial for Dr. Doolittle 3 already out on DVD. It's funny how I never heard of it until after it came out.

It seems in this one, Dr. Doolittle's youngest daughter (Kyla Pratt) is the one doing work with the animals. Even though this movie might be cute, I'm tired of movies making extra sequels that don't need to make them.

~~=oP

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 29th, 2006, 8:23 pm

I can see why this is going straight to DVD.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » April 29th, 2006, 9:02 pm

Interestingly, Dr. Dolittle 3 was scheduled to take the DTV route, then was scheduled to go theatrical (domestic one sheet: http://tinyurl.com/aatdt), before finally getting a DTV release date once more.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 30th, 2006, 11:36 am

Nope, Mick.

Doolittle 3 (ugh!) was always intended to be a lower-budget DTV. It was, however, PROMOTED in theaters with trailers and posters.

Obviously a rare thing in the US, but we get ads for DTV releases all the time here in the UK theaters.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » April 30th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Ben, it had a February 17, 2006 release date. I promise you that Dr. Dolittle 3 was, at one time, scheduled for theaters. I know it's hard to believe, but remember that other lower-budget franchise projects, such as Dumb and Dumberer and Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights, made it to theaters.

Here's the 2006 Fox Preview, including the film:
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/news.php?id=3325

Here's further info on Dolittle 3's theatrical release:
http://www.moviehole.net/news/20060427_ ... 27306.html
Moviehole wrote:Originally, the film was set to go to theatres – and I believe it did actually did go to some – before it was quickly whisked to DVD. Most cinemas, however, didn’t end up screening it, so in this case, I’d say it’s just a matter of a lazy poster-boy who has neglected to take the poster down.
Last edited by Josh on April 30th, 2006, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 30th, 2006, 6:54 pm

I don't know how this movie was even legal.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » May 1st, 2006, 7:00 am

I shall sum up my thoughts and experiences with Dr Dolittle 3 in a poem...

I saw the ad for this DVD :shock:
And it looked bad (not surprisingly.) :lol:
Why has the film industry gone bad? :x
Poor DVD movies make me sad. :cry:
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 1st, 2006, 7:36 am

(claps)

You have such a way with words.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 2nd, 2006, 10:55 am

Thanks for clearing that up, Mick.

I do know that this was set up as a DTV...sounds like it then had a shot at the big time the way some of the Disney sequels have, but then missed out. Lion King II also got limited theatrical release, which is often forgotten.

Dumb And Dumberer and Dirty Dancing II were always intended to be theatrical films, but indeed with lower budgets that the studios expected to make back using the brand recognition.

Unfortunately, they weren't such a good idea! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 2nd, 2006, 12:20 pm

Ben wrote:I do know that this was set up as a DTV...sounds like it then had a shot at the big time the way some of the Disney sequels have, but then missed out.
Exactly! :)
Ben wrote:Dumb And Dumberer and Dirty Dancing II were always intended to be theatrical films, but indeed with lower budgets that the studios expected to make back using the brand recognition.

Yeah, I was just looking for some examples of lower-budget sequels that went theatrical. But as you noted, Dumber and Dumberer and Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights were made for theaters. Thanks for pointing that out.
Ben wrote:Thanks for clearing that up, Mick.
You're welcome, Ben. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » May 13th, 2006, 2:02 pm

The plot does look kinda cute. Im not sure what they were thinking when they made this... does dr. doolittle really need a 3rd movie? well maybe if they had eddie murphy back i might get it or go see it (if it were to make it into theaters) i also do remember seeing a poster for it when i went to the movies. would you go see it in the teaters if realeased theriatically?
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 13th, 2006, 2:39 pm

No.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » May 13th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Nope. And it wouldn't even matter if Eddie Murphy WAS in this movie.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Dr. Doolittle

Post by Daniel » October 13th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Trailer for the new movie, simply titled Dolittle:

Remember when they used real animals? :lol: (Dory and Hank even have a cameo! :P)

Aside from the accent, looks alright. The slowed down song trend is wearing thin, though...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Dr. Doolittle

Post by EricJ » October 13th, 2019, 6:29 pm

"From the studio that gave you the (overmarketed, CGI-heavy and Burton-centric) Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent!"

No, from the studio that still owned rights to the Rex Harrison version, that just happened to be BOUGHT by the studio that gave you Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent... :roll:
Daniel wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 2:32 pm
The slowed down song trend is wearing thin, though...
Well, at least it's not the Creepy-Girl or the Piano-Plinking. :lol:
We DO need to establish a five-year moratorium on "What a Wonderful World", though. (With excessive fines for using the Louis Armstrong version.)