Hoot

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Hoot

Post by Dacey » May 2nd, 2006, 7:19 pm

http://imdb.com/news/sb/2006-05-02/#film5

Of all the films out there to be called "Controversial", I never thought that the incredibly average-looking "Hoot" would be one of them. :roll:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 2nd, 2006, 7:48 pm

My brother hates this movie already.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » May 2nd, 2006, 10:15 pm

hahaha - Meg

My brother's already in love with it while I'm the one groaning at the fact that I have to take him on opening day. It has Jimmy Buffet attached to it; of course it's going to be a far left-wing, politically charged, tree-hugging, environmentalist flick aimed at brain-washing the kids who go see it. And further more, speaking of someone who has to deal with those **** owls and Jimmy Buffet's rhetoric on a regular basis... I for one will be routing for the bulldozers. >P
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » May 3rd, 2006, 1:19 am

And "Free Willy" encourages whale-napping.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » May 3rd, 2006, 3:03 am

Hmm...sounds to me like we have some nature haters on our hands.

:P :P Just kidding. I know this is gonna be lame.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » May 3rd, 2006, 7:38 am

I don't see why even the whingiest of conservatives object to environmentalism. Unless they're either beneffiting from mucking the environment or taking the Ann Coulter route (aka the "twist religion to your own liking" route :roll:), I can't see why they could object to environmentalism. I guess it's terrorism, but then if they don't want to see a film about that, I want to ask how many films featuring even the slightest of taboos or evil things that they have seen.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 3rd, 2006, 10:51 am

"Ecoterrorism". HA! If it's doing something beneficial (i.e. helping the environment) it cannot be classified as terrorism. In my mind, so called "ecoterrorists" are heroes out to save the planet from greedy polluters and/or land grabbers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 3rd, 2006, 11:20 am

God this movie looks awful.

And the blond haired kid with his shirt always off makes me want to punch him in the face.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 3rd, 2006, 3:06 pm

Macaluso wrote:And the blond haired kid with his shirt always off makes me want to punch him in the face.
I wanna see that as a comic, Mac.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » May 17th, 2006, 1:37 am

There'd better be a lot more to this movie than what the previews imply... I'm all for protecting the environment, but this makes me think of a cheesy Disney Channel-type movie that nobody ever hears of again.

And those kids... ugh. Looks like they're trying too hard to make them "hip," maybe to distract from the cheesy?

Beh. I'm probably being overcritical, but there's something that leaves me very unimpressed as far as this movie is concerned.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » May 17th, 2006, 2:10 am

I saw the movie and was thoroughly unimpressed. My brother dragged me because he wanted to see the owls but alas there was maybe a full minute of owl footage in the whole film. He was quite bummed. It was a totally environmental tale too and actually ticked me off at the personal level. This fictional town was based on the area around my home - in fact at one point they even mentioned my hometown of Ft. Myers and Lee County - where I live. This had Jimmy Buffet's hands all over it. I've squared off with him more than once as it's his fault that the entire Calusahatchee River is now a no-wake zone. And although they may be cute - those owls are total pests! They may be protected but they certainly aren't endagered - at least 50 live on my block alone. And if there is a nest you can't get within 10 yards of them let alone build or tend to your propperty. Remember that these nests can be inhabited for several years at a time. I'm all for the protection of the environment too but not at the cost of ecconomic growth and a good movie. The movie did have potential but it was lost in the political rhetoric and became secondary to the message. There was confusion in the time line, unneccessary suspensions of disbelief, as well as an overplay in the archetypes and stereotypes of our region... At the beginning of the movie they even had me convinced there was going to be a Brokeback moment between the two boys the way one was talking. *headdesk*

And for the last time people... Fort Myers, Lee County, and SW Florida are NOT on the Atlantic - We are on the Gulf Coast! Sheesh!
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"