Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » June 11th, 2006, 12:15 am

It wasn't the fact that the lip was there, so much as it contrasts so much with his blue fur. I found myself just watching it move when he talked, instead of watching his eyes like I probably should be. Maybe make the transition a little more gradual between colors? Not like it's terribly important, anyway. The animation of him skittering under trays and tables as he was escaping was amazing, and that's mostly what matters - the movement and the storytelling. If the story ends up rocking, I probably won't care about a little design detail.

I still love Monsters Inc, even though the Abominable Snowman bugs me for almost exactly the same reason. *shrug*

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Gooch » June 11th, 2006, 7:35 am

I am so jealous! We didn't play Ratatouille teaser in front of the movie here! But at least we still have One Man Band. I remember going to theater to watch The Incredibles in 2004 and for some reason they didn't play Boundin'. I was so angry that I made a few calls to the theater and finally they let my friend and I go to see The Incredibles again WITH Boundin'!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » June 11th, 2006, 9:44 am

That's very odd, especially since the trailer was supposed to be attached to the movie being a Pixar production and all.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 11th, 2006, 8:16 pm

Now David Schwimmer...I'll have to listen for him the next time I play it.
Man, that would be awesome if David Schwimmer was in it. He was like the only voice in Madagascar that didn't annoy the crap out of me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » June 11th, 2006, 11:38 pm

PixarVixen wrote:

So is Remy the blue rat's name? So far, everyone has been referring to him as Ratatouille, but I didn't think that was his real name. It if is, Brandon had a cute idea about Pixar using that as a joke throughout the whole movie and constantly mispronouncing it. Hahahaha.

~~=oP
Ha ha ha ha... :D
that would be the shiz. :lol:
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 12th, 2006, 10:57 pm

I think this film looks interesting, (very..."organic") but the rats look way too much like rats for me. Even though they're kinda like "storybook rats" which might look cute in 2d or picture books, look creepy in 3d. I feel like breaking out the RAID when I see them...

In Flushed Away at least they're more like people. I think if you're going to make an animated movie about rats, (2d but especially CGI) you should make them as little like rats as possible. IE: The Secret of Nimh.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » June 13th, 2006, 12:22 am

ShyViolet wrote:I feel like breaking out the RAID when I see them...
That's pretty cruel, SV.

JK :P

I think the rats look fine, but I still say they have characteristics similar to that of muppets. Hmm...now THAT would be interesting to do a CGI movie with the muppets. ^^

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » June 13th, 2006, 1:54 am

Heh, how dare they make the rats look like rats! :P

I dunno, I never got the "oh my heck RAT" vibe, because he still runs and stands on two feet like a person, gestures like a person, and actually has a pretty stylized/cartoony face... I guess the only thing that makes the Secret of Nimh mice/rats and the Flushed Away rats more anthropomorphic is their clothing?

...Man, now I want to rewatch SoN... especially for the swordfight. :D Those were great character designs.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 13th, 2006, 7:53 am

I like how the rats look - at first I was like "Whoa, that's pretty cartoony" but after watching the trailer again I got used to them.

Now the rats in Flushed Away, IMHO, should look a little more like rats. The chickens in Chicken Run were sort of humanistic but at the same time, they still looked like chickens. These rats look a little *too* much like people, but with a tail and big ears. When I was watching the trailer and saw the first shot of the main character in his cage, the first thing I thought was, "He's nekked!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » June 13th, 2006, 4:28 pm

I don't understand why the rats would have to look humanistic anyway.

Look at Over The Hedge. Besides the fact that they could walk on their hind legs and use their hands like humans do, they didn't have a very human appearance or wear clothing. The characters are more believable that way.

Then again, there are times when the other way works.

So the question is, when should animals look more like animals and when should they look more like humans? I would say they should look more like humans when humans themselves are hardly seen or aren't even present in a movie.

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 13th, 2006, 4:46 pm

I would say they should look more like humans when humans themselves are hardly seen or aren't even present in a movie.
Hmm - that seems like a good theory. I think it also depends on what kind of movie it is -imagine if all the characters in The Lion King looked like Alex from Madagascar!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » June 13th, 2006, 5:02 pm

Didn't think of that. ;) Good point, Meg!

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 13th, 2006, 10:22 pm

That's pretty cruel, SV.
:P :)

Look at Over The Hedge. Besides the fact that they could walk on their hind legs and use their hands like humans do, they didn't have a very human appearance or wear clothing. The characters are more believable that way.

Yeah...but they weren't rats. Rats are like....gross! :shock:

Have you ever seen one? In NYC sometimes when standing on the platform on the underground subway you might see one scurrying across the tracks.... I don't really know if I would like to see THOSE GUYS in an animated movie. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » June 13th, 2006, 11:09 pm

ShyViolet wrote: I don't really know if I would like to see THOSE GUYS in an animated movie. :roll:
It's just like Route 66! It's not an appropriate theme for a movie! Jeez! When will these Pixar guys learn! huh SV??? ;-) j/k
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » June 14th, 2006, 12:14 am

ShyViolet wrote:Rats are like....gross! :shock:
What about Rizzo the rat from the muppets? He's not gross. ^^

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]