Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 5th, 2007, 3:59 pm

Daniel Jake - Haha -- yeah, just read my Ratatouille posts and anyone will get the picture. (snigger) That was funny, Dan. ;)

And yes -- I have complete faith in Pixar in that Ratatouille will blow peoples' socks off, as far as the story is concerned. I was already captivated by the teaser trailer -- the characters and even the setting itself got me hooked, which is saying something.

I find that, every once in a while, if I am satisfied with a film's trailer (or teaser), I will love the movie itself. However, this isn't always true (ie., The Phantom Menace...), but you didn't hear me say that. :P
"Welcome to hell." - Skinner

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 5th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Mitch - aja! You obssesed Ratatouille fan ;)

I have faith to, I mean, its *Pixar*. Has a Pixar film ever bomb? Or underperformed? Well, yes to the latter, but still :?

Interesting... I don't like that film either :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 5th, 2007, 4:45 pm

Dan - Sad to say, I am still waiting for a Pixar film to bomb. Don't get me wrong -- I find it highly unlikely that that will ever happen! But still... (snigger) ;)

Since a Ratatouille trailer has still not been released, here are three possible places for it to appear:

Along with Arthur and the Invisibles - possible
Along with Meet the Robinsons - highly likely
During the Superbowl - possible

Quite a few people have already surmised that the Superbowl holds some promises, and I do whole-heartedly agree with this speculation. However, I do hope that a new trailer will be released sooner than that. The Disney Surfers have already talked about it recently, and that is a good sign. We may also see various other tv spots for it on popular stations/channels (ie., Animal Planet and the Disney Channel, of course).

And who does like that film, Dan? :P It was horrible, and you're talking to a Star Wars geek here. (snigger) ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 5th, 2007, 8:23 pm

Has a Pixar film ever bomb? Or underperformed? Well, yes to the latter, but still
Actually I'm pretty sure that the money made from merchandise sales has made Cars an official success, so no need to worry about underperforming now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 6th, 2007, 3:13 am

Mitch - I know how you feel, I don't really want one of there films to bomb either, but it has to happen sometime. Look at DW. :P

I watch Disney Channel all the time, so if anything arises, I'll be sure to report it! ;)

I'm not really a Star Wars 'fan', but I was sooo bored, watching that sorry excuse of a movie. :x

Meg - how did you know I was talking about Cars? That's freaky. ;) Anyway, I didn't know that, that's cool!

Btw, I finally saw the film, loved it! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 6th, 2007, 11:55 am

Daniel Jake - Yeah, I know. However, I think Pixar will be safe...story-wise. As long as they have a creative team of people there who are dedicated and devoted to their work, I don't think the studio itself will be in any trouble. ;)

I watch the Disney Channel constantly, too! I hate the shows, but I'm always on the look-out for more Ratatouille news whenever the Disney Surfers pop up. Thanks for staying on the look-out too, Danny. Heheh.

Off-Topic - You can say that again. I've only seen "Menace" at least five times. (snigger) :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2007, 1:59 pm

I hated <I>Menace</I> and yet have sat through it around 10 times, through two theater outings, three/four times on video, twice on TV and the DVD. :(

Why!?

Staying on topic, I have <I>no reason</I> to think Ratatouille will fail on story or characters...I think this is perhaps Pixar's most interesting looking film since Monsters Inc, really.

But that release date is hard going, and <I>nothing</I> is going to stop Tranformers and Harry Potter from owning the summer. If John McClane is a hit too, the Lamp's rat is going to find his fringe audience off watching other movies.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 6th, 2007, 8:12 pm

Ben - I'll tell you why: Because millions of us Star Wars geeks just couldn't bear to believe that, for the first time, Lucas had actually let us down. After waiting in line for months, we were disappointed. My dad did the same thing -- he kept seeing it over and over again, willing to believe that it wasn't a bad film.... Alas, us fans will never forgive George for his biggest mistake ever. :P

Anyway, to get back on-topic.... (snigger)

I also agree in that this film appears to be quite unique...compared to Pixar's other, previous films. Not many films would go for a rat-theme to attract their audiences, but this is Pixar we're talking about. No worries, like you said, besides the release date.

I absolutely love the sole fact that a company is finally going to do a film on rats that shows them in a good light, even if a fair amount of sewer footage and rotten foods will be shown every now and then.
I remember, years back, around the time when Monsters Inc. came out, that I said to my sister, "Why don't they make a rat movie?". Badda-bing... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 6th, 2007, 8:27 pm

I saw Phantom Menace twice too. (in theaters) :oops: There was just SOOOO much hype around it then, it was like you were almost brainwashed to. :P

I did enjoy some parts, but every time either Jar-Jar or Anakin were on screen made nails on a chalkboard sound like Duel of the Fates. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 6th, 2007, 11:55 pm

ShyViolet - Ha! Yeah, you can say that again. Some people came all the way from Alaska and overseas just to camp out a month before the film was released. I'm a Star Wars fan, but I'm not that much of a geek. :P

Jar-Jar pretty much ruined the film, even though Lucas probably didn't intend for that to be so. And everyone else in the film had these monotonous lines throughout -- it sucked. Other than that, Duel of the Fates was cool! It's probably the only scene in "Menace" that I could watch over and over again without getting bored.... ;) (snigger)

However, I think we're getting a little off-topic here.... (Kind of makes you wonder: I wonder what Remy would do with a lightsaber...? :lol: )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 7th, 2007, 12:19 am

Mitch wrote:(Kind of makes you wonder: I wonder what Remy would do with a lightsaber...? :lol: )
He would cut oodles of cheese, duh! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » January 7th, 2007, 4:01 am

I think one thing the Rat has in its favor is the fact that it's the only big opening original film. All of the others are mostly sequels and a couple of continuing franchises enterung new mediums. I'm thinking that enough people will want to see an original something over the Summer that Ratatouille will have longevity if not power weekends. =)
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2007, 9:40 am

Yes, I would expect Ratatouille to have "legs"... :)

And The Muppets' Rizzo and co always presented rats in a positive light! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 7th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Also don't forget the rats in Secret of NIMH! :) :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 7th, 2007, 6:06 pm

Danny - Haha -- yeah. Either that, or he would slice anyone who dared to steal his cheese. Although, he is probably to "sweet" to do anything like that. ;)

Brandon Neeld - Good point. It does seem like the only original, non-sequel film that will be released this summer, so it at least has that in it's favor, like you said.

ShyViolet - Ohh...I love that book! The only other time rats were shed in a good light.... Well, actually, I take that back. A Rat's Tale was quite adorable, as well. I'm not sure if anyone has actually heard of that particular book, though. It's really quite charming.