Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » June 22nd, 2007, 6:38 am

It's terrible that it is already on P2P in my opinion. I don't think it will affect B.O in the US. Piracy has been known to boost tv viewings. Australia has the highest percentage of BitTorrent users per capita out of any other country, and they mostly download TV shows out in the US, since we don't get them for months. Ratings where boosted last year actually, and they say its because people who download the TV show tell people something exciting is going to happen so people who don't download watch it. Same might happen with Ratatouille if it is as fantastic as I hear.

I do think Ratatouille will suffer in B.O. performance in countries like the UK, Australia, Poland etc as these are countries that won't get ratatouille for a few months and seeing a movie that has been getting these great ratings and the fact that it is from Pixar might entice people to download the film.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2007, 5:15 pm

It's pretty much official: Ratatouille is 100% fresh on RT:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ratatouille/

Interesting review here though:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20043117,00.html

You know if it was Lisa she would have just given it an A++++ or whatever. Owen got tons of flack....:roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on June 23rd, 2007, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2007, 5:20 pm

And will affect box office. I'm always surprised at the BO in the silly summer season

Is that like a British expression Ben? The only other place I've heard it other than here was when reading Empire. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » June 23rd, 2007, 8:56 pm

WOW!

I just saw it today. AMAZING. I'm not certain, but I think it may be Brad's best film yet.

Brad is an incredibly depressing filmmaker.

Depressing because he's so good you wish all movies were that good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 24th, 2007, 8:07 am

Owen got tons of flack....
Probably because of this line -
"The lack of celebrity voices is a major drawback, since Remy ends up with very little personality."
:shock: :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 24th, 2007, 8:38 am

"silly summer season" or "summer silly season" or just plain "silly season" is what the industry collectively calls May through September, when all the "silly" movies are released.

I didn't know Empire had used the expression. It's not widely used in public since industry types don't want the public to think they mean it in a way that suggests the films are no good, but I like it as a phrase and have used it amongst friends for years now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » June 24th, 2007, 3:47 pm

Ben wrote:
bawpcwpn wrote:its on p2p. already :(
But if I was to guess, I'd say $30m+ and legs.
Are you talking about Ratatouille's opening weekend?

Then, you simply don't know what you're talking about.
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 24th, 2007, 4:04 pm

I know what I'm talking about. That was just a guess. And an unofficial one at that.

And what are you talking about? Going on the strength of the film? That doesn't mean anything in box office terms as you should well know.

As Jar Jar Binks once said, "How wude!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » June 25th, 2007, 1:09 am

$30 Million?

Are you kidding?

So "Blades of Glory" numbers?

Wow... I'd hate to see that. That would be most unwelcome news for a film that I think I'd rank up with Pixar's all time best.

Right now, my Pixar best are:

Toy Story,
Incredibles
Ratatouille

*but Rat may rise on repeated viewings.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 25th, 2007, 7:11 am

Guess I'm going to take the slack on Rat's opening numbers! I have to <I>try</I> and defend myself when I say I'm taking into account the marketplace and whatnot.

Okay...I'll raise my guess to the 50s...will that do ya? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 26th, 2007, 6:06 pm

Unfortunately Groaning, high quality in film doesn't always equal high box office earnings. I'm expecting Ratatouille to be a fantastic film, but a HUGE amount of competition and an overabundance of 'cute talking animal' movies may lower the amount of money it makes. Yeah, it'll be a great movie, but don't kid yourself into thinking it'll be a smash box office hit. It could very well be, but nothing is ever certain, especially in Hollywood.

Sometimes wearing rose tinted glasses can affect your eyesight, so to speak...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rio » June 26th, 2007, 11:59 pm

What ever happened to releasing PIXAR films around Thanksgiving or Christmas? I'm really worried about the box office with Ratatouille because the buzz just doesn't seem as big as other PIXAR films.

I've been hearing predictions of about $50 million but I really hope this film is just HUGE.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 27th, 2007, 4:35 am

Rio wrote:What ever happened to releasing PIXAR films around Thanksgiving or Christmas?
It got old, evidently. Its also a smart move, so they can release the film on DVD before the holdays.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 27th, 2007, 2:23 pm

Jim Hill on The Art of Ratatouille!! :)

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... -made.aspx

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » June 27th, 2007, 8:49 pm

Hey, guys! :P

I haven't been here in forever, but I did see Ratatouille on June 16 and have deemed it a truely FANTASTIC film -- a golden jewel for the ages, I say. If you would like to see my full report on the film, go here:

C'est Magnifique

I love it. I love it, I love it, I love it. ;)

-- Mitch
"Welcome to hell." - Skinner