Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 29th, 2007, 11:20 pm

Saw it today! Great movie. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 30th, 2007, 1:15 am

I feel so alone. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » June 30th, 2007, 1:16 am

Poor daniel.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 30th, 2007, 2:12 am

Sorry, Dan! Hope you get to see it soon. :wink:

BTW, Peter O'Toole was SHEER brilliance. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » June 30th, 2007, 2:43 am

Daniel wrote:I feel so alone. :(
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » June 30th, 2007, 2:43 am

Daniel wrote:I feel so alone. :(

French gotta wait til August 1st. But i got to see it in 2 HRS!!!!! Can't wait!
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 30th, 2007, 2:57 am

Did anyone notice the film started with the old blue and white Disney production logo rather than the new one? Meet the Robinsons used the new one so this wasn't just something they're doing for their animated films. Could it be a Pixar thing?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 30th, 2007, 3:31 am

Sullivan wrote:Poor daniel.
Yes, poor me.
Kinoo wrote:French gotta wait til August 1st.
Yeah, I forgot about that. Bummer for people who really want to see it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 30th, 2007, 7:32 am

Did anyone notice the film started with the old blue and white Disney production logo rather than the new one? Meet the Robinsons used the new one so this wasn't just something they're doing for their animated films. Could it be a Pixar thing?
Yup, probably a Pixar thing.
BTW, Peter O'Toole was SHEER brilliance.
Indeed! Everything about his character was so awesome - the way he moved, the way he looked, the way he spoked...Dah, just an amazing character. My freind would grab and squeeze my arm whenever he came on, 'cause he freaked her out so much. :P
I also liked how his typewriter looked like a skull while the floor was shaped like a coffin in his office. Nice touches!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 30th, 2007, 7:51 am

James wrote:Did anyone notice the film started with the old blue and white Disney production logo rather than the new one? Meet the Robinsons used the new one so this wasn't just something they're doing for their animated films. Could it be a Pixar thing?
The <I>old</I> old WDP logo? Or the Pixar-animated one?

If it's the old, lined, "flat" one (from 1984 onwards) then I don't understand, but if it's the Toy Story 1995 3D one with Randy Newman's fanfare, then that's just <I>another</I> case of Pixar being different from the rest of Disney.

After all, we can't have them using the same logo as <I>every</I> other division in the company uses on all <I>their</I> films now, can we?

;) ?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 30th, 2007, 8:06 am

It's the Pixar one, Ben.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » June 30th, 2007, 10:35 am

Saw it yesterday with my siblings... awesome. It wasn't the sort of movie that overwhelms with emotion (well, it didn't to me at least... not the way The Lion King did when I was 8 and Iron Giant did when I first saw it) but it's really well put together.

I read the review in my paper yesterday morning and got a basic idea of the story (aside: it was a good review... for an animated film... in my paper! *shock*). And yet, even with the basic outline, it went many places I wasn't expecting it to go. I love that - movies where I can call everything before it happens don't engage.

And then everything visual, from the animation to the textures, shaders to fur... amazing. And the different ways they got the fur to behave - soaked, wet but spiky, electrified (heh), wet-then-blown-dry... it was beautiful. Also everything liquid, especially when a character went in water, was nice. Besides that, the animation really did look 2D as far as character flexibility goes. The acting was up to Pixar-standard.

And then, of course, there was
the kiss. Best kiss I have ever seen, I think. :D The situation had my sister and I chuckling in the theater.
But there's something about the Brad Bird-touched stories I like... he seems to add edginess to his movies. They're still kid-friendly, but they aren't soft and cuddly all around. Characters will use phrases like "Thank God" and, in Iron Giant's case, the mildest of swear words. And the danger is rarely something far away that can't touch you - the characters in Iron Giant are about to be blown up because of Kent Mansley's ego. Mr Incredible finds that Syndrome has been using fellow Supers as expendable test subjects for his Omnidroid. And Ratatouille has
that somewhat scary (especially for the younger ones) scene where Django shows his son why humans should be avoided. There are actual dead rats in those traps, lips pulled back past their teeth. There's no denying that the rats are in a dangerous world... and this also helps you understand Django's side of things - he's not just a traditionalist rat unwilling to change his ways while Remy is a brightly inspired hero. He's looking out for the Clan because he's no fool.
And I liked that. :)

I also enjoyed the way the credits were presented. It was like a breath of fresh air. And the "Quality Guarantee" at the very end... oho, you rascals. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » June 30th, 2007, 10:40 am

I'm gonna go see a special screening on July 4th, even though the movie only opens here on August 1st.
Thank God, I couldn't take waiting till August.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 30th, 2007, 11:27 am

So every movie Disney releases has the new WDP logo on it apart from the Pixar films?

This doesn't help the "Pixar gets different treatment" argument much! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 30th, 2007, 3:48 pm

Just curious, does anyone know how much Ratatouille pulled in yesterday, box-office wise?

BTW, no pun intended, but the audience I was with totally ate it up!! :)
A lot of them even stayed to watch the 2d closing credits. :wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on June 30th, 2007, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.