Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 2nd, 2007, 9:22 pm

Favorite parts -
*The bit where Remy is running through the walls. Very artsy and had some lovely camera work, not to mention it featured my personal favorite gag in the movie where a couple is having a violent squabble. Hilarious!

*Remy's first experience in the kitchen. A great action scene, and again nice camera work. I downloaded the 9-minute clip after returning from the theater, and was ecstatic that this scene was included.

*Linguini getting drunk. Agh, that was priceless...Especially his line about Ratatouille.

* The scene between Collette and Linguini where Collette is talking to Linguini when he's asleep. Great movement on Linguini in that part - maybe Remy should be an animator! :wink: That whole sequence between the two was fantastic, even the kiss, which was the first animated one I really though was cute (although I still kind of wish she sprayed him with the mace...Heh heh.)

*Any scene with Ego in it. OMG, I loved him. Easily the best villain in an animated movie in years!
Oh, and the lighting in pretty much every scene was absolutely beautiful. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 2nd, 2007, 10:34 pm

copy and pasting from another forum i go to out of laziness

I can't give enough praise for this movie. I still say it wasn't QUITE as good as the Incredibles (not counting animation, because animation wise it was the best), but better than Finding Nemo.

The animation though... wow. It's absolutely breathtaking how good it was. Everything from the water in the sewers, to the way the mice and humans moved, to the way the mice fur looked when wet.

Just... jesus christ, I don't know how pixar constantly stays miles ahead of other animation studios, but they do. I'm sure Brad Bird being there helped plenty too.

And you could definitely tell it was a Brad Bird movie. At least when it came to the cinematography. The camera work in the movie is awesome, and they just make the amazing fast moving scenes even better. The scene where Remy is trying to escape from the kitchen is amazing. One of Pixar's best for sure.

Lifted, while good, wasn't one of Pixar's best animated shorts. It was funny, no doubt. I just expected it to be a lot funnier than it was, from all that I heard about it. It wasn't quite as good as For the Birds or Geri's Game, or One Man Band, but it WAS better than Boundin', which I felt was Pixar's weakest animated short. Also, if you notice, the model for the guy whose being abducted, is the same that's used for Linguini.

anyway yeah, I can't say enough good things about this movie.

Oh and Ego. He was just a brilliant character. From the way he moved, to his voice, to his animation. I couldn't get enough scenes with him.

and who else didn't know that Ratatouille was an actual dish until this movie?

OH, and this movie gets a lot credit for not being afraid to be a little risque with things. The fact that the chef said "Hell" and ESPECIALLY the
Linguini getting completely drunk thing.
Just wow. It was a great scene, and I'm very impressed that Pixar went with it instead of worrying about what parents might say.
Last edited by Macaluso on July 3rd, 2007, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rio » July 3rd, 2007, 12:01 am

To me this movie was ok with some of the more "adult" things like the very mild language and the tipsy part. But in "Cars" hearing Lightning McQueen say "Hillbilly Hell" felt wrong to me. I'm not sure the difference.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » July 3rd, 2007, 3:48 am

YEah and Pinocchio smoke and Dumbo got drunk too... Screw the political correctness!!
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 3rd, 2007, 6:33 am

Uncle Waldo in The AristoCats; and didn't Pluto or Goofy need to get sober in a handful of shorts?

Drunks work well in animation! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 3rd, 2007, 10:56 am

Also, if you notice, the model for the guy whose being abducted, is the same that's used for Linguini.
Actually it was an early model of Linguini, but yes, I caught that as well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » July 3rd, 2007, 2:44 pm

How bad can a word be if they say it in church?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » July 3rd, 2007, 8:14 pm

I don't know, this must be a culture thing, but I don't understand why people think Pixar are being very risque using
"Welcome to Hell"
One person left a comment on my blog
I saw it tonight, and really, some of the content was offensive for small children, such as the comment, "Welcome to Hell.". I found the subplot of the boy's father offensive-not my morals, but few out there have any anymore.
I mean, it's a word. It's a word that refers to a place that may or may not exist. Ok, swearing..that's a bit of a no-no. I don't see how the word is a swear word though. I don't know, it must be a culture thing.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 3rd, 2007, 8:42 pm

I think it's just not something that's very common in cartoons. Hell, I was surprised one day when I was younger when I was watching Rocko's Modern Life, and heard Hefer say "oh my god", considering that before that all I ever heard in cartoons was "gosh".

edit: the person who commented on your blog is stupid though. It's a HAIR risque, but offensive to children? Especially the subplot mentioned. Come on.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » July 4th, 2007, 2:16 am

New Unannounced Pixar Project!
Brad Lewis (producer of Ratatouille) is working on a yet to be announced Pixar project, he tell us this in these 2 video.(fast forward near the end of each video)

Here’s the video from YouTube, and here’s the video from IESB.net

We know that he is not working either WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3, or John Carter of Mars. In the video from IESB.net he tell us that he does not know when Pixar will announce this film.

This project will most likely the also yet to be announced Gary Rydstrom Feature Film for Pixar or either the unannounced Brenda Chapman Feature Film. We'll just have to wait and see.

I can’t wait to get more news about this new Pixar project!

So there you have it!
[url=http://www.jvpixarnews.com]JV PIXAR NEWS[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » July 4th, 2007, 5:49 am

2011/12 release date at the earliest.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 4th, 2007, 7:15 am

Without having seen the film, I can't comment, but it seems that using the H-bomb word would only clarify the situation.

"Welcome to Hell" places us in a very real situation and a very clear understanding of what's in store.

And, from what I hear, Rat isn't a "kids" film, which is all the better. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 4th, 2007, 10:32 am

Don't understand the big deal. We didn't discuss this as much when Pixar did it the first time in Cars. And Cars was more of a kids movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 4th, 2007, 11:31 am

Meg - Oh yeah -- yeah...you're right. Heh. Me and my memory and quick-talking mouth.
Well shut mah mouth, looks like Pixar is doing it after all. You were right! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 4th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Very nice review James! I saw Rat last night, and I fully agree with everything you said :)