X-men

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

X-men

Post by ShyViolet » May 30th, 2006, 12:09 pm

I know this film did staggeringly well at the box office, but I didn't care for most of it. :(

There were hokey lines, over-the-top acting from the increasingly tiresome presence of Ian Mckellan as Magneto, plot threads that were established and then suddenly abandoned, unexplained
deaths of major characters
, Xavier, Bobby and Rogue acting completely out of character, CONSTANT screwing with the comic book storylines in a particularly annoying way, major dead spots in the middle, (unlike Singer's tight, resonent pictures.) Well, that's all I can think of for now. :roll:

I'm sure that not everyone shares my opinion. What did everyone else think? :wink:

(I will say that Kelsey Grammar did a spectacular job as The Beast. :) )

Plus how did it slip by Xavier not to mention that Cain Marco/Juggernaut was his stepbrother?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 30th, 2006, 1:20 pm

I liked it. I'm glad I didn't know anything about the comics going into it, so I could actually enjoy it.

And yeah, even for people that DIDN'T like it, the general concensus is that Kelsey Grammer was AMAZING as the beast. And he was.

"Oh my stars and garters!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 30th, 2006, 2:18 pm

"Oh my stars and garters!"
Yeah...loved hearing him say that. :D

He said it all the time in the comic.

My biggest problem with the film wasn't really that it changed stuff that happened in the comic (although it did irk me a bit) but that it never justified the changes with a compelling, coherant storyline the way Singer's films did.
The story was just a mess. There was stuff I liked that was never expounded upon. The Jean/Scott/Logan triangle. Angel and his dad. And what the heck was with that little kid Leech? How did he wind up in that government prison to begin with?
And I'm sorry, but Rogue would NOT have given up her power the way she did. Not in this lifetime. One of the X-Men cartoon episodes ("The Cure") from the early 90s had this exact same theme and totally contradicts her behavior here. Like Rogue is stupid enough to give up her power for a jerk who cheats on her?
Not to say it for the millionth time but this film is all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Basically, Hugh Jackman and Kelsey Grammer saved this movie from being a bomb. Otherwise, I probably would have walked out--seriously.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 30th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Well, it doesn't matter how bad or good it is - it made 120 million on it's first weekend, so you can bet there will be another one.

In a just world, it's the really good movies that make all the money.

(Oh yeah and ONLY ONE MORE STAR TO GO! :D)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » May 30th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Saw it yesterday and while i enjoyed it there were ALOT of problems such as.

- the biggest problem they have is that they tried to put in to many characters into one film. they should have cut out the following people.
- Angel
- Juggernaut
- Colossus
- Mystique
- Multiple Man
- Those weird looking people who were with Magneto

- I didnt like that this one was more about action, than about the characters.
- I didnt like that the people who here creating "The Cure" wanted to do it in a safe place and out of all the places in the world they choose to do it at Alcatraz.

- I found it odd that after everything that Magneto has done the goverment decided to let him go .

- And finally i didnt like that they killed off and "cured" so many of the characters.

7.5/10

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 30th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Well, it doesn't matter how bad or good it is - it made 120 million on it's first weekend, so you can bet there will be another one.
Well of course, because: :wink:
No way are they gonna let Xavier, Jean and Cyclops stay dead.
Personally I'd give this fim a 5.5.

That's being kind. :roll:

I may be in the minority on this one but I still don't understand why in the world they're constantly sticking to that tired old "People fear what they do not understand/anti-mutant sentiment" storyline they've been doing. It's getting so cliche by now, Singer did some creative things with it, but this film's script was dull, dull, dull. Where's Kevin Smith when you need him?

How about the Jean Grey/Madeline Pryor story (Jean cloned by Sinister) or the Cable/Stryfe story, (more Clones in the Summers family) or the Age of Apocolypse, or the Legacy Virus? (which is a great plotline since it was obviously a stand-in for AIDS) It would be so awesome to see Kelsey/Hank scrambling madly to find a cure.
What about the Adventures of Cyclops and Pheonix? How about Rachel Summers, Jean and Scott's child from a "possible" future, or maybe....the Phalanx?

There are so many possiblities with these characters, but the producers seem to be purposely limiting themselves.

James Marsden did a great job as Cyclops in the first X-Men. So why is he like, barely in 2 and 3? :( If I were Marsden, I'd be kinda mad.... :roll: And when are we going to see Rogue fly and get super-strength finally??
And Halle Berry as Storm....no. I'm sorry, but she was just awful here.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 30th, 2006, 4:21 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
Well of course, because: :wink:
No way are they gonna let Xavier, Jean and Cyclops stay dead.
Cyclops better stay dead, because he sucks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » May 30th, 2006, 6:27 pm

I saw this movie on Saturday and I have to say that I liked it. I wasn't expecting a totally stimulating experience, and my expectations were generally met. Yet this isn't really a bad thing, as it's just an entertaining flick to pass the afternoon with. Plus, it's waaay better than most blockbusters of the same genre. :roll:

Hopefully the success of this film will make studios remember that people do go the cinema...I think that they're losing faith. :(
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 30th, 2006, 7:38 pm

I liked it.
for a jerk who cheats on her
It wasn't just about Bobby.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 30th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Personally, as a longtime X-Men fan (since '93), I loved it and thought that Brett Ratner did an excellent job. Bryan Singer is a tough act to follow and I didn't expect X3 to be as good as the first two, so I wasn't the least bit disappointed. And as for people's complaints about what happened to Rogue, look at the very end of the very last pre-credit scene. I rest my case. There is one thing I read in a negative review that I agree with though.
Magneto says the line "Let's end this war." WHAT WAR?!? They've been fighting for like, five minutes! If he had said "Let's end this BATTLE", that would have been okay.
Other than that, it was a great movie.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 31st, 2006, 10:57 am

macontosh2000 wrote:the biggest problem they have is that they tried to put in to many characters into one film. they should have cut out the following people.
- Multiple Man
Not having seen it or knowing who Multiple Man is, that made me laugh. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » May 31st, 2006, 11:19 am

Saw it yesterday and enjoyed it very much. I'm not a huge comic book guy so that may be a large part of it, but I thought it was easily the best of the three. It was a very intense film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 31st, 2006, 4:38 pm

Magneto says the line "Let's end this war." WHAT WAR?!? They've been fighting for like, five minutes! If he had said "Let's end this BATTLE", that would have been okay.
I think he meant that the entire "mutants vs. humans" chapter of history was a war, and that now they're going to "end that war." But it's a really hokey line.
:roll:

He's said the exact same stuff in X1 and X2. "A war is brewing...." Etc..etc...geez, Magneto, get some new material!
Not having seen it or knowing who Multiple Man is, that made me laugh. Smile

He can literally make clones of himself, that is, replicate himself and control the copies. It was cool to see him....for what was it, two seconds? :roll:

And since when is the Juggernaut British? :!:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 31st, 2006, 4:55 pm

I'm pretty sure the Juggernaut had an Aussie accent.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 31st, 2006, 5:23 pm

Well...as long as we're on accents, isn't Collossus supposed to be Russian? :wink: