X-men

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 7th, 2006, 12:56 pm

Wasn't that robot sidekick also going to be gay?

And ShyVi, I'm just curious: Why do you think that M. Night would do such a good job?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Chaya » June 7th, 2006, 3:28 pm

Enjoyable, but not as good as the last one. I felt that the producer's focused too much on snazzy effects and less focus on characters. Some of the lines were really cheesey, too. But overall it was ok.
"May traditional animation live long and prosper!"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 8th, 2006, 8:37 am

...and the giant spider.

Don't forget the giant spider.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Superheroes

Post by ShyViolet » June 8th, 2006, 12:09 pm

Yeah, Peters wanted a gay robot sidekick because he just watched Smith's Chasing Amy and he liked the gay Black character. (as Lex Luthor's sidekick)

Oh and of course, the giant spider. :wink:

Peters also "produced" the Keaton/Nicholson Batman with Peter Guber. (Guber-Peters) Peters wanted Batman to be more of an action hero, not a troubled vigilante. ( I think that's why Batman actually kills people in this film and says "I'm going to kill you!" to the Joker, and of course Bruce sleeps with Vickie Vale--KB who got all that screen time thanks to her boyfriend, Jon Peters.)

All the "misunderstood outsiders" Burton-esque stuff had to wait for Batman Returns, which Peters was, I'm pretty sure, not present for.

What I want to know is: How does this guy constantly get attached to superhero movies? I'm just glad he didn't get Spider-Man. (especially since it came from Sony, which Peters and Guber nearly bankrupted about fifteen years ago.)

Well WJ, I happen to really admire M. Night as a director, (the Sixth Sense is an amazing film--a horror movie nominated for Best Pic, no less!) and I also read that he was actually approached to direct Superman at one point but, being a comic book fan himself, he refused because of all the crazy changes the studio wanted to do to Superman at the time.

I thought Unbreakable really got to the heart of what being a superhero is about in a thematic sense. The whole weird thing about having powers, what it means, how you're different from everyone else. (Bruce Willis is the only one who survies a train wreck, that's the starting point of the film.)
In addition, the whole thing about Samuel L. Jackson turning out to be the villain at the very end, partly because of his handicap (weak bones that break easily) and his bad childhod, "They called me Mr. Glass", and the way M. Night slowly reveals it--brilliant. I think, based on this film alone, M. Night would be the perfect choice for X-Men. Also the rest of his work, the way he blends drama, emotion and supernatural/sci-fi--how could he NOT direct a great X-Men film?
Last edited by ShyViolet on June 9th, 2006, 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 8th, 2006, 4:11 pm

I haven't seen "Unbreakable", so I won't click your link.

But I'm glad Bryan got the job for SR. I haven't seen the first two "X-Men" films, but I keep hearing he did a great job with them. And the fact that he left the franchise so he could direct Superman indicates that he really wanted to do it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 9th, 2006, 12:40 pm

I loved Unbreakable...until the last 20 seconds, which were a slap in the face to the audience and totally dropped the ball and was a huge let down aftet the prvious two hours or so.

Willis, at one point, blurted out that it was meant to be part one of a trilogy, and I wish they had followed that route. As a "part one" it would have still held up, flat ending or no, as there would be more to come and a story to continue, but as it is, I can't be bothered with it. A great set up, good movie, and then the mother of all letdowns and fingers up at the audience.

------------------

Peters was credited on Bats Returns, though how much he was involved is open to question...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 9th, 2006, 3:23 pm

I guess you'd say that ending was a real "train wreck", huh Ben?

Ha ha, J/K. :)

I do see your points. I also thought the ending kinda came out of nowhere, (although in my opinion it's more logical than the Sixth Sense one.)
Still, I think MKS has a VERY good grasp of superhero concepts.

I'm pretty sure the Juggernaut had an Aussie accent.

Actually, I think Pyro, of all people, is supposed to be an Aussie. And a lot older too.

But I guess they had to take the "Disney Channel" approach to X-Men and make half the cast into rebellious, lovelorn angst-ridden teens. It didn't show so much with Singer but with the Rattner one--boy, talk about pandering. AND I HATE KITTY PRYDE IN THIS FILM (though not in the comic)

BTW she's supposed to be attracted to COLLUSSUS, (who would never draw a stupid picture making fun of Rogue's power) not Bobby.
:roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 11th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Nah. Kitty Pryde ruled. She's the one who can run through walls, correct?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 11th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Ben wrote:I loved Unbreakable...until the last 20 seconds, which were a slap in the face to the audience and totally dropped the ball and was a huge let down aftet the prvious two hours or so.
Hmmm... you've raised my curiosity, Ben. Was it the big "revelation" or the "This is what then happened"-type text that disappointed you? A lot of people seem to love the twist but hate the text.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 11th, 2006, 4:30 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:Nah. Kitty Pryde ruled. She's the one who can run through walls, correct?
Kitty Pryde was friggen ADORABLE

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 11th, 2006, 4:32 pm

(plugs his ears like Gollum) I'm not listening. I'm not listening.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2006, 4:53 pm

You'll have to remind me about the Unbreakable "twist" Mickey (only saw it the once) but, yes, the final text card simply felt to me that they had run out of film and couldn't be bothered to film a proper coda.

The fact that the events described in that text were lame, lame, lame also didn't help!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 11th, 2006, 8:15 pm

She's the one who can run through walls, correct?
Yes, she is...And she's currently dating Spider-Man in the Ultimate series. :shock:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 11th, 2006, 8:15 pm

Ben wrote:You'll have to remind me about the Unbreakable "twist" Mickey (only saw it the once)
The twist was...
Elijah had caused the train wreck, along with the other accidents, to find David. ("Now that we know who you are, I know who I am. I'm not a mistake.")

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 11th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Meg wrote:
She's the one who can run through walls, correct?
Yes, she is...And she's currently dating Spider-Man in the Ultimate series. :shock:
Holy ship, that's weird enough!

Does MJ know about this? ;)