Popeye the Sailor Man

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 29th, 2008, 10:13 am

LegendFilms, eh?

Yeah, I own a few of their DVD titles -- Little Shops of Horrors, Night of the Living Dead, Carnival of Souls, House on Haunted Hill, and Reefer Madness. These are the public domain horror/cult titles hosted by Mike Nelson of "Mystery Science Theater Fame."

They're reasonably priced DVDs. Usually no more than $14.99, sometimes only $9.99. I got Night of the Living Dead post-Halloween for $7.99!

Although I HATE colorization with a passion, the B & W prints on the DVDs from what I've seen are crisp and pristine. Remember, these ARE public domain films.

If they applied the same care to animated titles, then their Bugville release should be fine.

I've been wanting to get a copy of Mr. Bug (aka Hoppity Goes to Town, now Bugville) on video for a long time since it's something I've never seen. Stores just don't carry this video so I though think it'll have to be special-ordered. Maybe next time I'll check and see if Borders carries it in their catalog..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 29th, 2008, 10:50 am

Be aware George that new info says the titles have been replaced by a new video generated screen (with "fake" film scratches) to make it read "Bugville".

If you're still up for it, Amazon has it for less than $10:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... edviews-20

OUCH to that cover art though! :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 1st, 2008, 1:35 am

Ben wrote:Be aware George that new info says the titles have been replaced by a new video generated screen (with "fake" film scratches) to make it read "Bugville".
At a stab, I'd guess the change in title was to try and "stake a claim" on a revision of a PD title through reasonable alteration--Sounds like something Legend would do. :roll:
(And although Legend also does the...mm, not too bad colorizing on Sony's Stooges and Harryhausen titles, they still come off as PD-weasels for those Michael J. Nelson things.)

As for Gulliver, it would be nice to have Warner finally copyright a pristine copy, but just elsewhere from needed Popeye space. Maybe in a later set, for Fleischer-museum value.
It's okay for early effort, but comparing Fleischer to Disney on the Snow White Wars, you can see how Walt had the advantage in knowing how to keep a story moving and knowing what to cut:
When you look at all the "cute filler" Dwarves scenes that Walt gave the axe to, it just emphasizes how the Fleischers were trying to stretch for length, and crammed all the filler into Gulliver that they could...They got the "Technicolor" and "Realistic rotoscoped hero" ingredients right, but they missed the secret key ingredient.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2008, 2:44 pm

I'd argue that they didn't get the "rotoscoped hero" right...unlike many other Fleischer efforts, they stuck too close to basically drawing over a live-action shoot frame for frame. Although Disney used live-action this was as reference only. Gulliver was essentially traced over a live actor and it shows as much, actually slowing down the momentum of the film. The songs aren't too much cop either - Disney always had an ear for a timeless song, whereas the Gulliver songs were VERY much of their 1939 era.

It's funny...spurred on by our discussion here, I showed Hoppity/Mr Bug Goes To Town to a five-year old this afternoon and she was riveted, following the story and getting it all. And I just love this picture too. As I said above:
Ben wrote:I’d love to see a double bill disc with Gulliver teamed with Mr Bug Goes To Town. A natural inclusion would be the Out Of The Inkwell: Fleischer Story documentary scheduled for this disc too…who wouldn’t buy that as a set, or even as a single disc? The six Gabby cartoons wouldn’t go amiss, either, making up roughly four hours of total content - just enough for a dual-layered DVD.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 3rd, 2008, 1:08 am

I did see "Bugville" aka "Hoppity Goes To Town" over a week ago and found it to be much more watchable than "Gulliver's Travels" and something that I'd more likely watch again than the next best bug film, "A Bug's Life."

While the human animation was nothing to write home about -- lifeless rotoscoping by Fleischer animators once again --, the animation of the bugs wasn't too bad. As for the look of the film, it felt more like a short film than a big budget animated film.

While I don't know the reason for changing the title of the film for this DVD release, the print was in excellent shape with mildly noticeable grain. Granted, I've only watched it on my iPod during work breaks, but it seemed to be in very good shape for a 60+year-old film.

I still don't quite understand WHY I've never seen this film anywhere else before now. It's much, much better than "Gulliver's Travels." Granted, it's not Golden Age Disney quality, but it's a fairly good film and should not have cost the Fleischers their studio.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 3rd, 2008, 2:01 am

Of course, Mr. Bug failed not only due to audience apathy, but the fact that it was released the week of the Pearl Harbor attack in December 1941. I do agree that it's a pretty decent little movie and it deserved a better fate.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 3rd, 2008, 6:34 am

Good to read nice words about it from other folks.

I would argue that it's just as good as the competing film it was up against: of course as well as Pearl Harbor, there was a flying elephant about too!

Dumbo is the most cartoony of Disney's single-narrative features, though at times I think Mr Bug beats it out in animation. The characters are very appealing, the story keeps momentum, the songs are catchy, and it has several really nicely crafted sequences. If it had been released as a Disney picture, we'd be raving about how different it is to the rest of the Disney canon, but when you think about it, it slots right in there. Nothing can touch Pinocchio or Bambi, of course, but there are times in Mr Bug where the animation truly has more finesse than some moments in even Fantasia, and certainly Dumbo. I think, perhaps, the Fleischers might have had better ink and painters than Disney's...there's a much finer job being done by that department on Mr Bug than there is in a lot of Fantasia or Dumbo.

Anyhoo...glad to hear it holds up. Nope, they didn't deserve to lose a studio over it, and if anything it's somewhat more entertaining than some of Disney's films. Gulliver I think proved another studio couldn't "do Disney", but Mr Bug proved that, given the chance to use their own creativity, other studios could easily match the Mouse.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 3rd, 2008, 3:59 pm

I've always enjoyed Gulliver, actually. It may not be as good as what Disney was doing at the time, but I still find it a likeable film. Gabby's a funny character and all the slapstick stuff with the henchmen is funny too. Plus, ya gotta admit, "Faithful Forever" is a good romantic song (I think it was nominated for an oscar if I'm not mistaken). Too bad I can't find a recorded version.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 3rd, 2008, 4:51 pm

Oops, yes, I should have pointed out - in case it read that I didn't think Gulliver "worked" - that I'm a supporter of that film too. It may have dated more so than any other period cartoon, mainly down to the specific era music used, but it has very good things in it. Before the Disneys were more available as they are now, I wore out my Gulliver tape as a child and jumped to buy a "restored" VHS in the late 80s/early 90s.

The current 60th Anniversary issue is the one to get on DVD. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 9th, 2008, 9:16 pm

Early rumors for Volume 3. Sounds good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 11th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Uncut, with Bitter End restored.--
A perfect birthday present for your pal. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 11th, 2008, 8:39 pm

One of your favorites?

And here's the box art for Volume 3. Oooh, I like it! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 12th, 2008, 11:29 pm

Funny that they're putting out V3 before year's end. You'd think they'd just go with the originally planned V2 (four discs)?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 17th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Yay, I just got Volume 2!! :) Picked it up at Best Buy, with no tin sadly. Can't wait to start watching some toons later today.

Also, I just saw this. Ugh! Well, at least they found out before release date and are trying to right the wrong. BTW, the two shorts are "Hello How Am I?" and "Customers Wanted". I love the former.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 17th, 2008, 4:22 pm

Between this and their earlier Thundercats exchange, it's getting to the point that I'm getting the chance for correction exchanges before I've even gotten the original from Amazon!
Daniel wrote:BTW, the two shorts are "Hello How Am I?" and "Customers Wanted". I love the former.
...But ain't there just one Lincoln? :)

Although the latter, even though a clip recap, also has some great Mercer-isms--
Wimpy: "I am expecting a check..."
Popeye: ("Oh, you're lucky.")
W: "Might I trouble you for a penny, for which I will gladly pay you Tuesday?"
(shows "Twisker Pitcher")
P: "Now here's a 'pitcher' that's a real pitcher!...(Uh, you gonna pay me Tuesday, huh?)"