Popeye the Sailor Man

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 26th, 2007, 3:39 am

According to DVD talk forum, Best Buy is going to have an 'exclusive tin' for Popeye.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8024086

That stinks. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2007, 9:33 am

Darn it. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 30th, 2007, 9:21 am

Still no images of that tin? Ahh well, guess my regular box from Amazon will be here soon...

In the meantime, we have you covered with a spinach can full of Popeye content to celebrate the sailor man's official release on DVD:
http://animated-views.com/2007/i-yam-wh ... eyes-here/

Big thanks to Rand for all his hard work in pulling these together - enjoy! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 30th, 2007, 3:24 pm

No, but I did hear how it looks. Its silver, sturdy, and that's about it. If someone does upload a pic, I'll be sure to post it here.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 31st, 2007, 9:57 am

Thanks Dan...my Amazon just shipped, so I'll have it in a few days!! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 31st, 2007, 1:08 pm

Lucky rabbit! ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 31st, 2007, 3:04 pm

I got the Best Buy tin release today!

Wal-Mart was cheaper by $3, but oh well the tin will look nice by the Disney Treasures! :lol:

Yes, I'm gloating... :twisted:

P.S. -- Inside the tin, it's just the same packaging as all the other releases. A release within an exclusive tin packaging! Who'da thunk it?

P.S. P.S. -- Ha! Made you look!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 31st, 2007, 6:14 pm

Since Burbank is an 'animation industry' town, I knew the Popeye 'collectible tin' DVD set wouldn't last long .. so I showed up at the local Best Buy at 10:30 AM (just 30 minutes after they'd opened) .. only to see a large blank space on the 'new releases' table. :cry:

I quickly checked their 'animation' aisle, to see if any copies had been filed there .. to no avail. I was about to head over to the 'Glendale' Best Buy to try my luck there .. when a kind soul, who seemed to sense what I was looking for, held a copy of the Popeye tin case up before my astonished eyes.

It turns out the Burbank Best Buy had filed their Popeye tin sets among the 'television show' DVD's .. though there were only 5 left, after I grabbed one.

While standing in the checkout line, another fellow, who was obviously on the same quest, saw the tin I was holding and asked, "Where did you find that?!" .. so I was able to (sort of) 'return the favor' that the first person had done me. :)

Even so, I'm sure our Best Buy had 'sold out' of the tins well before lunchtime.

-------

I don't have a camera with me here at the office .. but if no one has posted an image of the tin here by the time I get home this evening, I'll be sure to do so. :wink:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 31st, 2007, 7:59 pm

There were still tons of the Popeye tins when I got mine around 2:00 PM.

I went next door to look at Target to see what the "regular" edition looked like. I was also doing a price comparison check. (Sue me --- I'm stingy on home video!)

For this week, Best Buy is $5 cheaper than Target and $3 more than Wal-Mart. After Sunday/Monday this upcoming weekend, the price will bump up to the MSRP $59.99. Gotta love Best Buy weekly specials! :roll:

Seriously, guys, the tin is nothing to write home about.

Yes, it DOES look nicer than the plain regular cardboard box (which is STILL inside the tin, btw) but otherwise dents and scratches as easily as the Disney Treasure tins.

All tweaking aside, they're the same cartoons and packaging on the inside.

Of course, Best Buy DID get my money -- and Droo's, too! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 31st, 2007, 8:33 pm

After a 20+ year wait for a 'home edition' of these cartoons, I figure an extra 10 bucks for a nice-looking tin case is 'worth' it .. :)

I'll be replacing the interior case with one of my own 4-disc 'Amaray-style' cases; the practice of packaging 2 DVD discs directly atop one another really 'rubs' me the wrong way .. it's far too easy to scratch the disc that's placed on top. :?

I'll be sure to preserve the lovely Stephen DeStefano packaging artwork, though!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 1st, 2007, 2:05 am

So, here's the tin .. front & back:

.. and the 'standard' package enclosed within:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 1st, 2007, 2:26 am

I guess I'm in the 'in crowd' today, so here's my little story: :)

After seeing The Simpsons Movie today, I realized I still had a couple of dollars left over, (coupled with my Reward Zone coupons) and decided to check my Best Buy to see if they still had the tins.

And yup, there was five left when I got there. Needless to say, I was so exited, I litteraly grabbed all of them and tried to find the least dentless. After ten minutes or so, I finally found one that was perfect to me.

Now I can't stop admiring it, seriously. The tin is cool, but like George said, its nothing to write home about. It looks exactly like a Disney Treasure, only with Popeye and something is actually printed on the spine. The inner packaging is much nicer, IMO. The color and the 'feel' of the box, is simply amazing.

My only qualm, is something that droo's not partically fond of either, the disc on disc design. Its so annoying! But oh well, its a little nitpick. I'm just happy to have the cartoons!

Edit: now my description is worthless! Oh well, thanks for doing it anyway, droo! Could you do Woody, by any chance? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » August 1st, 2007, 3:29 am

Those are very nice. Maybe I'll be going to my Best Buy tomorrow.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2007, 6:55 am

Having seen the tin - THANKS DROO - I can't say I am especially peeved at missing out, but the yellow spot coloring and embossing does look cool.

However, I'm good this time around. If it had been anything more special, I would have had to hop on a plane! ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 4th, 2007, 11:04 am

Ben wrote:Having seen the tin - THANKS DROO - I can't say I am especially peeved at missing out, but the yellow spot coloring and embossing does look cool.

However, I'm good this time around. If it had been anything more special, I would have had to hop on a plane! ;)

It's next to impossible to find a tin of those sets without dents, Ben.

In the end, I just picked up the one I was looking at and bought it.

There have been reports, however, that some of the Popeye sets have duplicated discs in them. Usually it's 2 copies of Disc 2.

I double-checked my set after I read that. Unless they mislabeled the discs (no, I haven't watched the shorts yet... :( ), I'm in the clear.

Seems to be an isolated issue at any rate.