Lady in the Water

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 14th, 2006, 12:11 pm

Bandwagon. Jumping on.

Besides, I heard from an on-set source that Columbus was in line to come back for either the last two or the last one.

It's a pretty safe bet that he'll do the last one, from what I'm hearing, and gawd knows he needs the sure-thing hit it would provide.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 14th, 2006, 3:46 pm

Oh, you gotta be kidding me. :roll:

So much for being the unique and original filmmaker who "develops his own material."
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 16th, 2006, 12:06 pm

:!: Warning! :!:

If you are planning to see this film, DO NOT look it up on IMDB.

The summary gives away one of the major twists. :x
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » July 16th, 2006, 1:41 pm

I want Tim Burton or Spielberg to direct one of the final Potter flicks... that would be cool, I guess.

M. Night. Shyamalalalmalnalmalmman has had his 5 minutes of fame, it was cool in Sixth Sense, it got old, let's move on.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 16th, 2006, 5:06 pm

I think both Burton and Spielberg are too "big" to helm a Potter.

They both turned down the first in the series, and the problem is that the films then become A Steven Spielberg Film or A Tim Burton Film as opposed to a Harry Potter film for its own sake.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » July 17th, 2006, 12:55 am

What if Spielberg directed an HP film but we all looked away when the little thing flashed on screen that said: A Steven Spielberg Film?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 18th, 2006, 5:19 pm

I think he might do a good job with it. He does have that quality of working well with kids.

With the HP films I saw (the first, second and third) it kinda seemed like everyone WAS trying to emulate Spielberg in differerent ways. I mean with the HUGE expectations of a film like this, who else are you going to reference?

If Spielberg did it, he might have made it his "own" film rather than a pre-sold blockbuster-in-waiting. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 18th, 2006, 5:22 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 18th, 2006, 5:32 pm

Yee-ooch!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 18th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Have you guys heard about this new book? (weird title!)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159240 ... 18?ie=UTF8

:P

BTW, I am the only one getting tired of hearing the line: "Cleveland, ruuuunnnnnnn!!!!"

:roll:

Jim Hill reviews the book and film here:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... /4301.aspx
Last edited by ShyViolet on July 18th, 2006, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 18th, 2006, 6:18 pm

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 19th, 2006, 12:49 am

Ben wrote:With Lady In The Water, Nina Jacobson at Disney didn't like the script and told MNS over dinner. She didn't like the same old formula that the ending used. She didn't like how he'd painted himself into the picture and how he wanted to be cast as the writer in the film.
Speaking of Jacobson, some shocking news today: "Jacobson out atop Disney film division".

It's ironic that this announcement arrives the same week Lady opens.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2006, 8:51 am

Wow...quite a bit to respond to here:
ShyViolet wrote:With the HP films I saw (the first, second and third) it kinda seemed like everyone WAS trying to emulate Spielberg in differerent ways.
From day one, why else do you think John Williams was tapped as composer?

Good. About time his movies started being seen for what they are.

ShyViolet wrote:Have you guys heard about this new book? (weird title!)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159240 ... 18?ie=UTF8

Jim Hill reviews the book and film here:
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... /4301.aspx
Weird title? And you're talking about MNS?? What else did you expect? The guy is a nut and I'm glad people are finding out what a crazy loon he is. I'm surprised at Hill's take on the movie though...perhaps he's still trying to dig the knife into Disney in some small way?

Mickey wrote:Speaking of Jacobson, some shocking news today: "Jacobson out atop Disney film division".
After what has been going on, I wouldn't call that shocking. I've heard for a while now that she's been at Disney for a while and wanted to do what many execs do...start up a production banner and make films independently. Her primary distributor may well turn out to be the Mouse House. Also, let's not forget that Bob Iger is sweeping (mouse) house and making changes. And with changes comes a new perspective and their new direction will need new thinkers. Yes, she comes off the back of Pirates 2, but don't forget that this was one of Eisner's last commissions and wasn't a project she spearheaded personally. You'll also notice that the films she leaves behind are very much of the adult/artier fare that Disney wants to cut back from to concentrate on their briskier family movies.

From The Hollywood Reporter:
"Jacobson heard the news at the hospital Tuesday, when partner Jen Bleakley had just given birth to a baby boy, their third child."

I had no idea!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 19th, 2006, 9:02 am

Hmmmm....didn't Jacobson originally follow Katzenberg to DreamWorks and then left to go back to Disney? (I heard her name mentioned in those Antz stories a lot. :P )

I also read recently that MNS's "middle name," "Night" was his own invention and not really his middle name. :roll:
(So.... what 's his first name?)

I'm surprised at Hill's take on the movie though...perhaps he's still trying to dig the knife into Disney in some small way?

If he is, it's kinda useless, 'cause judging from the early reviews critics are saying that the Diz was smart to pass on this. So really, it's no: "OMG Big Bad Disney lost the creator of the Sixth Sense!!!!" thing going on.

In a review it also says that the a "film critic" (surprise, surprise!) is the snobby jerk of the film, and of course gets
killed by the monsters
And guess who MNS plays?
The talented, brilliant young writer whose work will be remembered for generations.
Not very subtle, is he? :wink:

(I also think someone should tell him: "Y'know, things DO also happen outside of Pennsylvania.")

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2006, 12:06 pm

That's what Jacobson didn't like about it, as I said here:
Ben wrote:With Lady In The Water, Nina Jacobson at Disney didn't like the script and told MNS over dinner. She didn't like the same old formula that the ending used. She didn't like how he'd painted himself into the picture and how he wanted to be cast as the writer in the film.
Seems to me he's outta tricks. WB will continue to have a fairly poor summer box office.