Ice Age

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Ice Age

Post by EricJ » November 12th, 2021, 10:17 pm

(Y'know....they could just show OLD content. They have got a bit of it lying around doing nothing.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 12th, 2021, 11:02 pm

The monster must have fresh content! Old content stale!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 13th, 2021, 5:08 am

Then why didn’t they finish the 75% completed Nimona? They only had to fund the final 25% of production, since it was already at that level after the sale, and even if it hadn’t been any good or not, it would have been another "tile" on the D+ page for very little outgoing compared to starting from scratch.

And then they go and start up a completely new animation studio in Canada to make content for D+…! What was wrong with Blue Sky, with a film near completion, or even just rebranding that to Disney+ Animation, for instance. More than meets the eye there.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 13th, 2021, 9:04 am

Oh yeah, forgot about that one! Maybe they didn’t want to spend the extra movie on an unproven concept?

No idea why they didn’t just incorporate Blue Sky into their system. More than meets the eye, huh? Any educated guesses?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 13th, 2021, 3:49 pm

Only that it’s cheaper and less headachey for The Diz to create a subordinate startup rather than try and bend a pre-existing culture with some established names to their will. And possibly there’s some contracts that means Chris Wedge and others get percentage points on any Blue Sky film regardless if he directed it or not. It’ll usually be down to something stupid like that rather than anything that makes sense!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 15th, 2021, 3:55 pm

One theory floating around on why Disney didn't continue with Nimona is that it featured LGBT themes. Very unfortunate all the same.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 15th, 2021, 4:28 pm

Oh, they can show it on Netflix, then. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 15th, 2021, 5:36 pm

Daniel wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 3:55 pm
One theory floating around on why Disney didn't continue with Nimona is that it featured LGBT themes. Very unfortunate all the same.
But I thought The Diz was superwoke? Would have thought they’d have embraced that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » November 15th, 2021, 8:07 pm

Ben wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 5:36 pm
Daniel wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 3:55 pm
But I thought The Diz was superwoke? Would have thought they’d have embraced that.
With how Disney films containing LGBT themes like Pixar's Onward and Marvel's Eternals were received in countries like China or the Gulf States, Disney prioritizes profit over inclusion in the end. Besides, Ice Age was Blue Sky's sole cash cow. Not even the Rio duology reached the great financial heights of the third and fourth IA films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » November 16th, 2021, 6:29 pm

Honestly, I don't feel excited about Ice Age 6, especially what Disney is doing with it. What are all your thoughts?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 16th, 2021, 6:56 pm

I wasn't excited about the last few Ice Ages.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 16th, 2021, 8:27 pm

Dawn Of The Dinosaurs was big fun; I haven’t seen the ones past that yet. But I like Buck, and I’ll catch the new one as the character is fun.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 17th, 2021, 2:13 am

I know they've moved way way way beyond the concept of the first movie but with every new Ice Age movie I've always hoped the gang would have bumped into the baby from the first film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 17th, 2021, 4:46 am

Good point! Would be cool, in a way, if the baby was able to help them as an adult — or rather more likely as a young adult — and save them from some fate. I doubt this’ll happen in this last film, but it would be a really nice way to wrap things up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 5th, 2021, 2:06 pm

Poster: