Re: Ice Age

Post by Daniel » January 21st, 2022, 3:14 pm

Clips:

Couple of chuckles. One more week! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 21st, 2022, 3:29 pm

Apparent Blue Sky didn't do the animation on this, which I guess isn't surprising given they're closed now. The animation looks...kind of stiff?

Also, is Scrat not in this AT ALL???
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 21st, 2022, 4:00 pm

If the merchandise is to be believed, he's definitely in it! Can't do Ice Age without Scrat!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2022, 4:43 pm

It’s not BlueSky branded, so…?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 29th, 2022, 7:32 pm

The supposed reason that Scrat isn't in the new Ice Age movie. Does anyone have any information on this outside of this tweet?

https://twitter.com/IWantJustice/status ... 2049562624
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 29th, 2022, 8:41 pm

I always thought Chris Wedge came up with Scrat and voiced him? And, er…Sqrat is not Scrat…!? This seems a little-a lot bizarre!? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 29th, 2022, 10:49 pm

So I hopped onto the Wikipedia page for Ice Age characters are there are these 3 paragraphs:

The origin of Scrat is disputed. Cartoon designer Ivy Supersonic claims she created the character in 1999, after seeing a squirrel-rat hybrid in Skidmore College's Case Green. She called her character "Sqrat" and says she presented the idea to 20th Century Fox movie executives. A CNN report by Jeanne Moos of Ivy's discovery was aired in 2000, two years before Ice Age went into development. Supersonic claims the studio's own documents actually identified the character in Ice Age as "Sqrat", though her creation was not sabre-toothed.[2]

Ivy Supersonic was offered a $300,000 settlement by Fox Studios. She turned it down and subsequently lost in court. The case is currently in appeal (Case #04401 Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, NYC). She still has hopes of receiving damages for her claimed infringement.[2]

Supersonic did win a partial summary judgement from the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in a reverse suit, Fox Film Corporation v. Ivy Silberstein (her real name), in which Fox had tried to prevent her from registering the trade mark "SQRAT".[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... ters#Scrat

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 30th, 2022, 12:18 am

So the character isn't sabretoothed.

She calls it "Sqrat" and not "Scrat"...

Then she claims--falsely--on Twitter that she has "won" when Disney still has the full rights to the character and she doesn't. She can't just release her "Sqrat" stuff now. I'm not sure who she's trying to fool here.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 30th, 2022, 5:18 am

Bill1978 wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 10:49 pm
A CNN report by Jeanne Moos of Ivy's discovery was aired in 2000, two years before Ice Age went into development.
Not Bill's quote, but Wiki can’t be right here. Ice Age came out in March 2002, so the film was not "in development" in 2002 — it was about to be released! And any animated film is at *least* a year or two in development, which puts Ice Age on track for actually be "in development" from 1999 onwards, at least. And we know that Fox had tapped BlueSky not long after Toy Story changed the animation scene and every studio wanted their own CGI franchise, so it’s hard to believe that talks about a collaboration wouldn’t have been being held maybe as much as four or five years previous to this. All of which *does* suggest this was all happening around the same time, and maybe someone saw something that inspired something else, but to suggest a blatant rip-off of something so obvious is a little hard to swallow when all these things are checked and double-checked by the lawyers.

Such a shame, since Scrat is still probably my favorite CG character, simply because he’s a prime example of "pure cinema" in animation, and the best throwback to classic shorts characters that’s been done in modern digianimation. She may well have something of a case, but they offered her a payoff (which often happens when two concepts are similar and everyone just wants to move on) and she accepted it. The fact she has a silly name doesn’t really help her credibility…

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 30th, 2022, 11:18 am

Dacey wrote:
January 30th, 2022, 12:18 am
So the character isn't sabretoothed.

She calls it "Sqrat" and not "Scrat"...

Then she claims--falsely--on Twitter that she has "won" when Disney still has the full rights to the character and she doesn't. She can't just release her "Sqrat" stuff now. I'm not sure who she's trying to fool here.
It’s possible her “win” is that Disney has agreed not to go after her for her Sqrat stuff and she gives up all claims to Scrat. As for Scrat not being in the new one, that could just be Disney being prudent until a settlement was finalized since Scrat wouldn’t be absolutely necessary to what appears to be a sort of spinoff with another character. All speculation, of course.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 30th, 2022, 1:00 pm

Someone sent me this on Twitter. Granted, it's a Wiki page, so grain of salt, but it seems she's pulled this sort of "thing" a lot...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Supersonic

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 30th, 2022, 1:34 pm

Seems like bad news, tbh.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 30th, 2022, 1:44 pm

Real wacko.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 31st, 2022, 12:30 am

This..."film" looks like crap. And I put "film" in quotes because, from what I've gathered, this is a repurposed TV pilot for a now cancelled series, and even then that doesn't excuse how bad the animation is. Simon Pegg is the only returning cast member, and while I'll try to get through the whole thing, I'm not sure if it's going to be easy. Nothing about this looks finished!