WALL-E

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » April 2nd, 2008, 12:48 am

The whole thing with Pixar showcasing the other movies they are famous for makes me wonder. Why do they feel the need to list all the awesome things they have done in the past to promote this movie? Are they afraid people aren't going to see it or think it was done by someone else?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by vveksuvarna » April 2nd, 2008, 12:57 am

well, the same thing was told about their previous movies...

thats why i think they put it in a tv spot rather than the theatrical trailer...

& about showcasing old movies...
pixar after all is a business...they wanna remind the audiences of the great experiences...its their way of making sure, their movies remain timeless...& bringing ppl bac into the cinema halls...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 2nd, 2008, 1:01 am

And Pixar's not the only one doing it either. As mentioned, Dreamworks does it too. Back when Don Bluth did stuff regularly, he did it. It's not even restricted to animation. It appears to be a standard Hollywood marketing tool because they think the audience is too dumb to figure this stuff out on their own.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 2nd, 2008, 1:03 am

Well people ARE too dumb to figure out this stuff on their own.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by vveksuvarna » April 2nd, 2008, 1:04 am

true..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 2nd, 2008, 2:07 am

It's not for us it's for kids. Most 6 year olds don't know what Pixar is but they see the logo for their favorite movie on a commercial and they pay attention.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 2nd, 2008, 2:48 am

James, you overestimate a lot of adults.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 2nd, 2008, 7:13 am

Foxtale wrote:The whole thing with Pixar showcasing the other movies they are famous for makes me wonder. Why do they feel the need to list all the awesome things they have done in the past to promote this movie? Are they afraid people aren't going to see it or think it was done by someone else?
Yes.

Just like DreamWorks slap the Shrek logo on anything new, and Fox/Blue Sky slap an Ice Age logo on their posters.

It's called brand recognition. "Hey, if I loved those movies, I'm bound to love this new one too!" - Pixar has the strongest track record, hence why they have the more movies to push. And WALL-E is a big gamble for them...it's no surprise they're reminding us - out of the MANY CG features that have come along since Toy Story - which ones, the cream of the crop, if you will, they were responsible for.

Yep, it is standard Hollywood marketing: I'll be very surprised if Speed Racer doesn't come to the screen without the words "from the visionary creators of The Matrix" attached to at least some of its promotions.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » April 2nd, 2008, 7:22 am

Well,that's for people who think that Madagascar is a Disney movie,I"m not kidding,they don't even know Pirates Of The Caribbean is a Disney film,a lot of people (and not just small kids,a lot of adults) think this way,It's for those people and they reminds those films.
Yeah,Dreamworks does it too-The Madagascar trailer said Shrek and Shark Tale and since then they say Shrek and Madagscar (Over The Hedge and Shark Tale weren't sucessful enough?),thought the Shark Tale trailer said Shrek and Shrek 2.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » April 2nd, 2008, 9:31 am

I understand the whole marketing brand recognition thing, I think they must also be doing it b/c they think people are dumb and don't follow patterns. There is proof of how people don't recognize companies all over youtube. Any CGI short that someone finds they think is from pixar, even when its clearly not. I guess that shows they are so good that everyone thinks they make everything. ^.~
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » April 2nd, 2008, 11:00 am

Exactly,and any cartoon they find they think it's Disney and it's obviously not Disney.
They don't they think-they KNOW,turst me,there's a lot of dumb people who dosn't know that.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 2nd, 2008, 11:33 am

Ben wrote:I'll be very surprised if Speed Racer doesn't come to the screen without the words "from the visionary creators of The Matrix" attached to at least some of its promotions.
It already has. It think they said it in the first trailer (and the second).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by vveksuvarna » April 2nd, 2008, 4:31 pm

i recently met a family friend after a long time & we discussed about all the things we were upto...

i told her i was one of the lucky few who got to visit pixar...

& she was like...pixar...what is pixar ??

i tried not to frown..&told her the people who made nemo/toy story & then she knew...& she still thought it was disney...

ONE CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF THE DUMB ONES...& this happened to me just yesterday...haha i had to post it here..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 2nd, 2008, 5:44 pm

Not knowing who Pixar is doesn't make you dumb. After all, not everyone is a huge animation fan!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 3rd, 2008, 6:36 am

This is the point. Most people think "animation" is "Disney" and "Disney" is "animation", and that's it.

And, BTW, Pixar is Disney, and Disney is Pixar. It's in their DNA. ;)