Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 13th, 2005, 6:15 pm

Now that MJ's finally been aquitted, the Michael Jackson connection to CATCF might not be as "weird", but it's still squirm-inducing.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 21st, 2005, 11:05 am

I'm defintely looking foward to this, but I think Charlie's line: "Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy." is REALLY lame.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2005, 11:07 am

Hey, you know why Jackson was let off?

It was proven that he actually liked 28 year olds.

Asked why he liked 28 year olds, he said... "Well, because there are 20 of them".

I thank-you all, and I am sorry. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 21st, 2005, 11:19 am

That's a good joke--I've heard it from friends! :)

IMO, this was a travesty....but I won't get into that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 7th, 2005, 10:48 am

I think WB executives wanted Burton to make WW more of a "father figure" to Charlie, and he was like no way, WW isn't supposed to be a father figure. (Like Wilder was) Tim Burton just makes Wonka nuts. Plus I think it's kind of funny that he says they have to stick to the book and all, but he invents this whole imaginary childhood for WW that wasn't even in the book! :roll: :wink: (His dad is Christopher Lee, a dentist! Now there's a villain for him! :wink: )

But even though I'm looking foward to seeing Depp's Wonka, I find him a little cold, with this glazed look in his eyes like he's either on tranquilizers or high. (I guess that's the idea.)

"I'm Violet Beauroguarde!"
"I....don't care!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 7th, 2005, 1:13 pm

Ben wrote:Hey, you know why Jackson was let off?

It was proven that he actually liked 28 year olds.

Asked why he liked 28 year olds, he said... "Well, because there are 20 of them".

I thank-you all, and I am sorry. :roll:
DON'T CLICK ON THE BOTTOM LINK IF YOU DON'T LIKE ANYTHING TOO VULGAR
or something.

What's the difference between Niel Armstrong and Michael Jackson?
Neil Armstrong went to the moon. Michael Jackson ****s little boys.
Damn I'm witty.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 7th, 2005, 2:11 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 7th, 2005, 2:27 pm

Lee, for one, is more willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the filmmakers, perhaps because he's seen the movie in its entirety. "The nature of the character Willy Wonka is not Michael Jackson," he says. "Willy Wonka hates children--that there sets him apart from Michael Jackson."
Ugh, what the bleep! No he doesn't! Willy Wonka doesn't hate kids, he just hates some of their less-than-desirable behavior and teaches them a lesson. He likes children if they are good-hearted, like Charlie is. One of the reasons he asked the kids to his factory in the first place was so that he could find a CHILD to take over the factory, someone who is pure of heart. He doesn't punish the kids just for the pleasure of it--now that's REALLY creepy. If that's the perspective Burton's pushing, then I think he's going to alienate a lot of viewers.

One of the reasons Wonka made the factory in the first place was to make people happy--especially children. I don't know, maybe in TB's world, he just has a chocolate fixation or something..... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 11th, 2005, 4:29 pm

Well I just saw the extended preview of the movie, with different music.

I'm REALLY looking forward to it now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 11th, 2005, 4:40 pm

I saw part of the Making Of Special on HBO. It really does look cool.

And in some ways I do agree with Burton that the Wilder film was too syrapy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 14th, 2005, 4:51 pm

Early review:

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/05/34/film-taylor.php

It's 88% fresh on RT.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 18th, 2005, 8:35 pm

They really dissed Gene Wilder on that HBO special. The man who played Grandpa Joe was like: "Johnny is, for my money, the only man who could play Wonka," and even Dahl's widow said that if Dahl was alive to see the film, he would have said: "Now THIS is what I intended."

It's still so weird to think of Depp as Wonka because I still remember the days when he was a "teen hunk" in every issue of "Bop" and "Superteen."

"Cry-Baby", (John Waters 50's kitch, where Johnny plays a James Dean type) just came out on DVD. This pre-dates even Edward Scissorhands. In Roger Ebert's review of it (his site posts the original article) he refers to "teen idol Johnny Depp," and that's all he says about Johnny. He wasn't a big star yet, all he was really known for was 21 Jump Street and Nightmare on Elm Street 1.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory is..

Post by AniMan » July 20th, 2005, 2:49 pm

I saw it last night and I think the movie is GREAT! It is Tim Burton at just about his best. Now, I'm a big fan of the original, and admittedly I was skeptical about this one. But after actually seeing it, I've gotta' tell you, it is even BETTER than the original. That's right, I said it: BETTER than the original. Everything from the cast to the set design to the script itself was more entertaining than the original. Forget any of the criticisms you may have heard about Johnny Depp as Wonka. Yeah, he's a little creepy, but he is simultaneously hillarious as well. Depp hits the right tone for Wonka and makes him truly an eccentric and mysterious character. The big difference in this movie is that Charlie is really the star here: the boy who plays him is perfect. He's not cloying and at the same time he is absolutely endearing. The grandfather is so perfectly cast that I couldn't believe my eyes. He looks like he stepped out of a storybook. And the Oompa Loompas just about steal every scene they're in. As played by Deep Roy they are not so much creepy as they are odd and fascinating. And entertaining as hell. This movie is worth it for their musical numbers alone, which actually are far more entertaining than anything in the original. Don't get me wrong; the original is still a good movie. It's just that this one works so much better on so many different levels that it truly astounds me. Really worth the price of admission! 8)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 21st, 2005, 10:38 am

I loved it too! :)

You said it all perfectly. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 21st, 2005, 1:58 pm

Wonka is supposed to be creepy.

I was never against this movie, as I can see all the rea$on$ to make it, though I was skeptical.

With the newer trailers, plus the fact that I think Depp is one of the most interesting - if not the best - actor out there today, and Animan's positive take, I'm actually looking forward to it now! :)