Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » August 14th, 2005, 6:53 pm

I just got back from seeing this film, so I'm going to post my thoughts (naturally). Spoilers are coloured in white.

My feelings on Roald Dahl are fairly mixed. As a child, I liked his books. I wasn't raving over them; I simply liked them. And I must admit that some of the imagination in them is wonderful. However, sometimes, his books seem to rub me up the wrong way. They can be pretty depressing and too dark for my liking (The BFG is one of my most hated things ever in the world :evil: ). And as I got older, I grew out of the books a bit. So I'm not a huge Dahl fan. However, I have enjoyed some of the film adaptations of his stories (such as Matilda, which was one of my favourite films as a kid), and knowing that Burton was directing one of the lighter tales, I was rather intruiged. Tonight, I finally got to see the movie, which had been open in the UK for two weeks or so.

And I can just say that I was rather impressed. Complete with the whimsical score and the visual style to match (although not as bold as some works of Timmy), I thought that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory pretty much rocked, even moreso than the original 1971 musical Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (which is pretty cute even if it is tacky). Yet I must admit that the film is not without a flaw. The substance was a bit thin at times (I didn't like the childhood flashbacks or family sentiments that much as they seemed cliched.). Yet this was no matter. As usual, the visual style was great (as mentioned) and helped cover up the weaknesses.

And then there were the Umpa Lumpa/puppet songs, which were pretty odd, but equally pretty amusing (I especially liked the ode to Veruca.). The "It's a small world" spoof was also rather amusing, and the impressions of Wonka (Johnny Depp in another pretty much cool role) were equally interesting.

Like Ben, it was rather interesting to see how much a cipher Charlie is, and as a Brit, I did get confused as to why Charlie was being offered big sums of cash in dollars at one point; and still in what appeared England. And as for Wonka speaking in an American accent; it did seem odd considering we saw flashbacks of him speaking in an English accent, but I thought that it was a fair enough idea, as the whole "People in another more magical land (in this case the factory) speaking in another accent" is a good idea in my books, as whilst it does Americanize the whole production of a British novel to an extent, it doesn't go over the top and sets instant differences between the two worlds, thus perfectly fitting. Disney's versions of Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan are also similar, as most of the people in the real world speak with English accents and most of the people in magic lands speak in an all American manner, thus not appearing as a total product of America and adding some more reality to fantasy (ironic isn't it).

Anyway, I thoroughly recommend this to all. I'm most likely going to get the DVD of this (although looking at early clasifications from the BBFC, the bonus features look like set top games and cookery classes, a slight disappointment :( ), but for those who are able, go to the cinema now to see it! Me likey! :D
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 15th, 2005, 1:26 pm

Don't forget that WB will be putting out a two-disc as well, which has been reported.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » August 15th, 2005, 2:01 pm

Ben wrote:Don't forget that WB will be putting out a two-disc as well, which has been reported.
Oh good. Whilst on the topic of the Wonka stories, has anyone got the Region 1 Special Edition DVD of Willy Wonka? If so, is it a good set that would be worth picking up? I've heard it's a 1 disc edition, but is it packed for a single disc edition?
-Joe

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 16th, 2005, 7:21 am

Yeah, it's a good disc, with a nice self-mocking commentary from the now-grown up kids.

Should be fairly cheap to get now, too, though hold on to the original edition for the 25th Anniversary trailer, which was cool.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » August 19th, 2005, 7:38 am

I've just got this thought, does anyone think that Depp as Willy Wonka looks like the Peter Pan man? :lol:

If you get scared easily, don't click on the link at all costs.
-Joe

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 19th, 2005, 8:03 am

Wonderlicious wrote:I've just got this thought, does anyone think that Depp as Willy Wonka looks like the Peter Pan man? :lol:
:shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » August 19th, 2005, 4:15 pm

Well considering he starred in Finding Neverland...
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 20th, 2005, 4:38 am

That...

...is scary.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » August 20th, 2005, 12:17 pm

The peterpan man kicks ASS. Especially since he was on Conan.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 4th, 2005, 8:17 pm

I definetely think "Mike Tevee" will win or at least be nominated for Best Song.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » September 8th, 2005, 8:42 pm

No way man. Agustus Gloop's song is the best.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 8th, 2005, 9:05 pm

Violet Bueraguarde was good too.... :P

Like Ben, it was rather interesting to see how much a cipher Charlie is, and as a Brit, I did get confused as to why Charlie was being offered big sums of cash in dollars at one point; and still in what appeared England. And as for Wonka speaking in an American accent; it did seem odd considering we saw flashbacks of him speaking in an English accent, but I thought that it was a fair enough idea, as the whole "People in another more magical land (in this case the factory) speaking in another accent" is a good idea in my books, as whilst it does Americanize the whole production of a British novel to an extent, it doesn't go over the top and sets instant differences between the two worlds, thus perfectly fitting. Disney's versions of Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan are also similar, as most of the people in the real world speak with English accents and most of the people in magic lands speak in an all American manner, thus not appearing as a total product of America and adding some more reality to fantasy (ironic isn't it).
Also you know how Tim Burton likes to "mix worlds." In Batman 89 he's got 1930s fashions/cars while at the same time there's late 80s dialouge/culture. Not to mention in Edward Scissorhands where Edward comes from a castle that looks like Victorian England and he wanders into American Suburbia via 1990, crossed with 1950s sensibilities and prejudices....I always thought that was a cool thing about Tim Burton, that he's not afraid to do stuff like that and can actually make it work.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 9th, 2005, 7:28 am

But, in Charlie... he doesn't?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 9th, 2005, 2:42 pm

ShyViolet wrote: Also you know how Tim Burton likes to "mix worlds." In Batman 89 he's got 1930s fashions/cars while at the same time there's late 80s dialouge/culture. Not to mention in Edward Scissorhands where Edward comes from a castle that looks like Victorian England and he wanders into American Suburbia via 1990, crossed with 1950s sensibilities and prejudices....I always thought that was a cool thing about Tim Burton, that he's not afraid to do stuff like that and can actually make it work.
Sounds like Series of Unfortunate Events! I've always thought that film had a Burton feel to it, even though he had nothing to do with it. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 10th, 2005, 8:26 am

Meg wrote:Sounds like Series of Unfortunate Events! I've always thought that film had a Burton feel to it, even though he had nothing to do with it. :wink:
Well...

Burton's long time associate (from Vincent, through Frankenweenie, BeetleJuice, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Sleepy Hollow, Planet of the Apes, and even did concept art for Burton's Superman project) was Rick Heinrichs.

The production designer of Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events (and, for that matter, Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest) was...

...RICK HEINRICHS!

Coinkidink? ;)