Mary Poppins

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 29th, 2005, 8:24 pm

All I can say is, ugh, Ben.

This really doesn't do Disney well in the long run. There's a limit to how far they can take these sort of things.

AskMike may believe the business/capitalist that you can do these things to the hilt and that it doesn't hurt quality, but a lot of these movies aren't meant to be readapted infinitum and it really hurts the original films in the end when the regurgitated reworks don't measure up. All these sequels have definitely hurt Disney's image in animation circles. Most people working on these films don't have illusions that they're creating anything that'll be considered a classic ten or twenty years from now.

There's also the problem of recasting parts when the original actors were basically perfect.

Julie Andrews WAS Mary Poppins. Who would you get to top her or even match her timing and sense of music? (The same could be said for the decision to recast Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Doolittle when Andrews was a much better choice. {I wasn't alive when Andrews did My Fair Lady, but I have a CD recording of the original Broadway play and wonder what the hell the MGM executives were thinking in their casting decisions...} What was MGM's stupidity in casting became a Disney treasure. Nobody blames Hepburn, but the fact is she couldn't sing!)

I'd also have to ask that really, what are you going to get from the play that you didn't already get from the movie in the first place?

I guess there a bunch of suckers that actually believe the plays add something the movies didn't have???

Animated films should stay animated. I've never cared for what happens when they try to redo these characters as ice skating shows, plays, or movies of the week. The results generally are not pretty... The results are cheesy and tacky 95% of the time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Did anyone here own the Disney Archives Mary Poppins LD?

Post by Wonderlicious » April 9th, 2005, 9:18 am

I heard that in the mid 90s in North America (not in Europe, oh the surprise :roll: ), Disney released deluxe laser-disc editions of some of their films which were very much like the Platinum/Special/Anniversary/Masteriece/Whatever Editions of today that we see on DVD known as the Disney Archive series. Titles in the line included 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mary Poppins, Tron and Alice in Wonderland. I have a question concerning the Mary Poppins laserdisc edition.

I know that the Archive Edition of Alice in Wonderland is supposed to be better than the Masterpiece Edition, but I was wondering about which Mary Poppins set was better; the 40th Anniversary Edition or the Archive Edition? :?:
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 9th, 2005, 9:49 am

I have the Archive Edition, which I mainly chose for the cover, which I preferred over the later laserdisc (30th, I think) Anniversary set. I think that the Anniversary LD had one more small featurette, though. Neither one really had a whole lot on it when compared to the new DVD. There is some Behind-the Scenes Special FX stuff, World Premiere footage, production art, and storyboard-to-film comparison of a scene or two. Not bad, but...

The real copy to get is the current 40th Anniversary DVD--- sparkling new anamorphic transfer, and MANY more bonuses. Ben talks a bit about LD-DVD framing differences in his DVDtoons review:

www.dvdtoons.com/reviews/362

Definitely stick with the DVD.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 10th, 2005, 10:36 am

Thanks for pointing the review out Rand!

As I say in it, the FRAMING on the Archive LD is the one to go for, as it reveals the COMPLETE 1.66:1 nagative, but this is NOT a restored print.

The Restored edition (not actually an anniversary ed) added a 17-minute Practically Perfect In Every Way: The Magic Behind The Masterpiece featurette (which was also on the Gold edition DVD) and isolated music score "that showcased the music score sans vocals and effects".

I have all three discs, so can answer anything else you might want to know, but, as I close out the extras section in the review, I do say:

"Those with these [Laser] discs may want to hold on to them for the various frame ratios, audio mixes and the extras just listed, but others coming to this [40th Anniversay DVD] set for the first time needn’t feel like they’re missing out – all of the material is basically reproduced or incorporated into the extensive supplements here".

Hope that helps! :)

GeorgeC

A Notice on Disney CD Soundtracks -- Mary Poppins and Bambi

Post by GeorgeC » May 20th, 2005, 10:19 am

In case you have earlier versions of these CDs, you might STILL want to pick up the newer releases.

Here's why --

Mary Poppins is a 40th Anniversary 2-disc redo that has a ton of things NOT on the earlier releases. (The previous CD releases were single disc only.) There's some demos of the songs as well as memories of Walt and production on the movie told by the scorewriters, the Sherman Brothers -- Disney's best songwriting team prior to Ashman/Menken, but still arguably the best Disney ever had.

The Bambi CD, although it looks similar to the CD released the last time the movie came out on VHS/LD, has an interview with Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston on it! <=== That interview alone ought to make it worthwhile for fans of the film.

I know I'm planning to get both ASAP.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Mary Poppins 45th Anniversary Edition

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 4th, 2009, 8:42 am

A few years ago Disney released a 40th Anniversary Edition and now they"re releasing a 45th Anniversary Edition before they"ll released it 4 times on Blu-Ray I guess.
Here's the cover:
I"m not sure if the old edition's cover is better but Mary's clipart is a screencap from the movie? if it's not then this cover is good too,I really liked how she's wearing the white outfit from the animated scenes,Bert should had the outfit from the animated scenes too,I whould give up on those chimmeny cleaners and add more pinguines insted.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 4th, 2009, 2:11 pm

You're way behind, Once! :) The "45th Anniversary Edition" came out a little over a month ago! Also, what do you mean by "now they"re releasing a 45th Anniversary Edition before they"ll released it 4 times on Blu-Ray I guess."? Four times on Blu??

Ugly, atrocious cover. I didn't have the 40th edition, but got it recently and skipped this new upgrade. I can do without silly add-ons of the mediocre Broadway show, thank you very much.

With the covers, it's not even a contest as far as I'm concerned, the 40th had class and was simply stunning. This ones just OK and has that horrible concept of placing the title right dab in the middle. Mary deserves so much more. At the very least, at least with this and the Musical, some merchandise has surfaced!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2009, 5:20 pm

Yeah, it's as if we should pack up and go home rather than actually spend the time to keep you up to date with our recommendations on the front page. :(

http://animated-views.com/2009/mary-pop ... y-edition/

Can't we dump this thread into something else?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 4th, 2009, 6:16 pm

If you insist... ;)

Thread 1

Thread 2

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2009, 6:50 pm

Thank-you Mr Dan! I renamed and merged all thread together since they were all talking about the Poppins supplements or framing. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 5th, 2009, 8:43 am

Daniel wrote:You're way behind, Once! :) The "45th Anniversary Edition" came out a little over a month ago! Also, what do you mean by "now they"re releasing a 45th Anniversary Edition before they"ll released it 4 times on Blu-Ray I guess."? Four times on Blu??

Ugly, atrocious cover. I didn't have the 40th edition, but got it recently and skipped this new upgrade. I can do without silly add-ons of the mediocre Broadway show, thank you very much.

With the covers, it's not even a contest as far as I'm concerned, the 40th had class and was simply stunning. This ones just OK and has that horrible concept of placing the title right dab in the middle. Mary deserves so much more. At the very least, at least with this and the Musical, some merchandise has surfaced!
Hey,later is better then never.
What I mean is that since there are already 3 edition of it on DVD there might be at least 4 editions on Blu-Ray if it will be as sucessful as DVD.
Anyway I don't have the 40th Anniversary Edition,I don't think it was released here,all they did was a re-release in theaters and promotes a pop singer who voiced Mary in the Hebrew dubbing (*Sigh*,over here they just put random celebs to voice characters in Hebrew dubbing) so I"m actually tempted to buy this,acorrding to Ben's review it's a lot like the 40th Anniversary Edition.
What merchandise were out?.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2009, 4:48 pm

The 40th Anniversary Edition - or the equivalent - is the one to go for.

In short, it has a TON of stuff packed in. The new 45th drops around 40 minutes of very valid, fascinating vintage material <I>to do with the film</I> and replaces it with around 50 minutes of promotional documentary material that does nothing more than say how great the Broadway Poppins musical is. And it's not, going by the London show, which was poor... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 7th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Then I guess that the 40th Anniversary is better,thought some of the deleted songs sounds awful but I"m glad that Julie Andrews and other made sure they whould never make it to the final and real movie.
And agree with Daniel that the musical looks bad,saw the Jolly Holiday scene and insted of them going to the animated world and having the penguins they have a better park and a naked guy who think he's a statue :?.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Mary Poppins

Post by Dacey » October 10th, 2016, 12:10 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Mary Poppins

Post by Ben » October 10th, 2016, 6:07 pm

Yeah...I get what they're trying to do, but it's just dumb.