Iron Man

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Umpteen million versions of Iron Man on sale last week!

Post by GeorgeC » October 6th, 2008, 2:51 am

So, which version did you get?

A) Best Buy had an exclusive two-disc set with a bust of the MkIII Iron Man helmet. Every version sold in-store had an exclusive lithograph while supplies lasted...
B) Target had probably the most unique packaging. Both 2-disc DVD and 2-disc Blu-Ray were packed in a recreation of Iron Man's MkIII helmet.
C) FYE/Suncoast sold the 2-disc DVD set in an exclusive steelcase. Woulda liked a steelcase for the Blu-Ray, too!
D) Wal-Mart and Borders had various comic book tie-ins for their exclusives. The Wal-Mart exclusive also had the first episode of the new Iron Man animated TV series as a bonus.
E) Costco also had its own exclusive but I forget what it was.

I ended getting the plain vanilla 2-disc Blu-Ray set since I wanted it to match the other Blu-Rays in my collection. As neat as the Target packaging was, I wanted reliable packaging. A lot of these "special packages" (aside from steel cases) don't hold up well over time...

Iron Man has had by far the most home video variants released in first week of any movie I've noticed so far.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 6th, 2008, 9:44 am

I got the Blu-ray steelbook version at Future Shop. It just seemed appropriate.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 6th, 2008, 7:15 pm

They had a steelbook Blu-Ray version in Canada?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Be still, my heart!

LUCKY!

P.S. -- I did get to see one of the replica Batmobiles at a comic con this weekend. It was one of the '66 replica TV models.

If anything, the car design looks even better in person.

I'm not much of a car person beyond liking sleek, aerodynamic designs and an engine over 100hp, but man was that ride sweet!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 7th, 2008, 12:08 am

It arrived at my workplace today. Looks sweet. Here's the listing for it:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 17th, 2008, 3:20 am

www.TheDigitalBits.com (Thursday, 16 Oct 2008)

"And in other news this afternoon, Home Media Retailing is reporting that Paramount's Iron Man has sold a whopping 500,000 copies on Blu-ray in its first six days of availability. Word is the title could be the first Blu-ray release to sell 1 million units."

That's 20% of the total disc sales of Iron Man which includes the DVD editions.

That's over 30 times better than what the best-selling laserdisc boxset (Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition?) probably sold. That LD boxset sold somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 units if I remember correctly.

Interesting what they term "niche" nowadays.

Niche used to 1500 units or fewer sales on home video. That was about average per laserdisc title. Nowadays, niche is defined as around 100,000 for a major home video company DVD release. The Disney Treasures are in an area above 100,000 units. Many boxsets of older movies sell under or around 100,000 units.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » October 17th, 2008, 4:07 am

I got the Borders one, simply cause I work there, thus it was convenient :P
The "comic" is actually just a little booklet full of various cover illustrations from the Iron Man comics.

Eh... Not much of an extra, but I don't really care. I just wanted the 2 disc set.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 17th, 2008, 6:52 am

I'd wager that Sleeping Beauty is hot in its heels, though...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 17th, 2008, 7:30 am

.. which would make it a .. sleeper? :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 17th, 2008, 8:16 am

If Iron Man wants to be the first Bu-ray to sell a million copies, it'll have to boogie before The Dark Knight comes out.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 17th, 2008, 10:05 am

droosan wrote:.. which would make it a .. sleeper? :lol:

My kingdom for a USB-compliant joy buzzer so I can electrocute people for bad puns!

But seriously,

The Dark Knight home video release is over a month away. "Iron Rust" can still manage to get up to at least 3/4 million copies by then.

I pretty much got my live-action hero release on BD this year... unless I can find the Adam West Batman BD at a price I'd be willing to pay online! :twisted:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 19th, 2008, 11:34 am

FYI, George, the Batman BD doesn't seem to add much, picture-wise, from what I've read in reviews.

As I said on the front page with Sleeping Beauty, we're at a point where boasting about numbers is pretty moot. Every new title is going to start claiming the crown, based on growing numbers of players and bigger and bigger releases coming out.

So, while the first title to score 1m copies may be historical, it doesn't mean much in real terms, because there'll soon be another title to come along and claim more sales.

Hopefully, we'll get some official figures from Disney, but at the moment, Sleeping Beauty and Iron Man sales are neck and neck, factoring in <I>both</I> formats.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 19th, 2008, 4:16 pm

I also think Batman Begins has already been printed in 3-4 different hi-def releases so far! (Not that I'm going to buy it -- everybody knows my position on my live-action Batman by now.)

Same old, same old.

Yeah, the numbers game is pretty much moot.

The facts are now that Blu Ray seems to be at least a sustainable niche format.

It's already got to be far more profitable for the home video companies than laserdisc ever was...

I just hope they push extras better than they did on the DVD format. It'd be nice to finally see a 5-inch optical disc equal what was released (extras-wise) in laserdisc boxsets almost 20 years ago now!

Disney sure doesn't have an excuse for what it's done on most 5-inch releases. They could have basically dumped the extras from the LD sets onto DVD AND released more of what's in the vaults instead of giving us all lousy Flash-style games and trivia quizzes that are good for 30 seconds!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » October 20th, 2008, 11:51 am

So, Iron Man, great movie, yes? I missed it over the summer and picked up the 2-disc dvd from walmart. I don't think it's the best movie Marvel's ever done (X-Men 2 still holds that place IMO), but it easily ties with The Incredible Hulk for second place. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Captain America film and I hope it's as good or better than the ones we got this year.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » October 21st, 2008, 6:18 pm

GeorgeC wrote:P.S. -- I did get to see one of the replica Batmobiles at a comic con this weekend. It was one of the '66 replica TV models.

If anything, the car design looks even better in person.

I'm not much of a car person beyond liking sleek, aerodynamic designs and an engine over 100hp, but man was that ride sweet!
Hey George! Just outta curiousity, you weren't at the Mid-Ohio Con, were you?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 22nd, 2008, 11:36 pm

Yep,

I went...

More details on that in the PM I sent you!

Suffice it to say that the 1966 Batmobile looks even more impressive in person! It is the definitive Batmobile and way more impressive than that truck they used in the last two Batman movies (pfui)!

Unfortunately, the Batmobile at Mid Ohio Con was a replica (I asked!) and NOT one of the cars used in shooting the live-action Batman series.

The fellow who owns/displays it said the original car wasn't in as good shape and that it needed a new paint job.

Frankly, I don't know if that's true...

I think the original Barris Batmobile (the ORIGINAL car converted from the Ford Futura prototype) was featured on the DVD/Blu-Ray releases of the 1960s live-action Batman movie. Sure seemed like it was still in good shape in the video!