Iron Giant

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Iron Giant

Post by Anim8EdCox » October 22nd, 2004, 6:47 pm

Okay...so we have a little more time till the release of Brad Bird's highly anticipated Iron Giant SE DVD. I for one can't wait for it! And with Brad Bird's "The Incredibles" getting so much positive advance buzz...it looks like he has another tremendous hit on his hands! :D
Edward R.

I open December 4th as "Maurice" in "Disney's Beauty and the Beast"! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Iron Giant SE DVD

Post by MusicFan » October 23rd, 2004, 4:00 am

Anim8EdCox wrote:Okay...so we have a little more time till the release of Brad Bird's highly anticipated Iron Giant SE DVD. I for one can't wait for it! And with Brad Bird's "The Incredibles" getting so much positive advance buzz...it looks like he has another tremendous hit on his hands! :D
It's a shame Iron Giant wasn't the box office hit it should have been. I hope Warner Bros. will mention in the marketing campaign that it is from the director of The Incredibles, so they could move at least a few more copies of shelves. The likelyhood that The Incredibles will flop, is as likely as 100 cough drops flying in circles around me. I don't see any flying cough drops, so my point is proven.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 23rd, 2004, 8:43 am

WB has exactly held back this DVD so it can build on BB's Incredibles buzz.

Do not be surprised if there's a "From The Director Of The Incredibles" sticker (or at least mentioned on the synopsis blurb on the back) in the packaging.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 29th, 2004, 10:57 pm

Ben wrote:WB has exactly held back this DVD so it can build on BB's Incredibles buzz.

That's the only reason WB is holding the deluxe DVD edition back.

It's been out in Asia (South Korea, at least) for over a year now. The very same special edition being released in November in the US.

I'd guess the same will be the case for the original King Kong regardless of what WB claims about the restoration the film print needs. I doubt we'll see a DVD of that movie before Pete Jackson's version comes out in theaters.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » October 30th, 2004, 12:59 am

In my opinion, The Iron Giant is the reason why Pixar should not even consider a distribution deal with Warner Bros., after their deal with Disney is done.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by spin » November 16th, 2004, 11:36 am

Today is the day! FINALLY.

I was one of the few who was a frequent poster on the original IG messageboards back in the day and I, for one, am VERY VERY EXCITED about the Special Edition being released today!

You may go about your business now....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sh00tingstar » November 16th, 2004, 5:41 pm

*goes about buisness* 8)
"When the stars fall I will lie awake..you're my shooting star

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 16th, 2004, 7:26 pm

For those looking for a bargain, I just got my copy at Wal Mart for less than $13!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 17th, 2004, 12:19 am

I've been hearing some not-so-good news about the "new digital transfer" on the Iron Giant: SE.

The film has a problem with digital artifacting and you'll definitely notice problems in any scene that has a lot of black in it.

The original DVD wasn't that great as far as video went, either. I remember popping it into my brand-new DVD player way-back when and being very disappointed at how often the images appeared pixelly throughout the picture. Black inklines would go from perfectly linear to looking like a first-generation PS2 videogame with no anti-aliasing. It was like looking at low-res digital ink-and-paint on a TV series. Think 1990s Spider-Man low-res. That's how bad it looked to me.

The review I read was posted at the IGN DVD review section a couple of days ago. Those guys are usually right on the ball about DVDs and I was very disappointed to read that an Iron Giant DVD was once again not all it could have been...

The extras on the new disc set are much better, yes, but the treatment of the MAIN whole freaking point of the set should have been much better.

This definitely sounds like a Wal-Mart buy to me, too!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2004, 6:23 am

What gets me is that after all that wait from last MAY, there was no "from the director of The Incredibles" sticker!

What exactly were we waiting for then, WB???

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Iron Giant (SE) DVD Hidden Easter Egg.......

Post by JustinWilliams » December 14th, 2004, 5:35 am

Has anyone else noticed the hidden easter egg on the Special Edition of Iron Giant? It's on the bonus features menu....If not, try to highlight the rolled up projector screen at the top of the screen by continually pressing the up arrow on your DVD remote! :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » December 14th, 2004, 6:53 pm

Hey Justin,
Small question on the side... Was Iron Giant SE released in the UK already, or did you buy an imported US version?
Cheers,
Jolle

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » December 15th, 2004, 2:55 am

It was the US version - I don't buy R2 releases as they tend to short change you in general. The only animated R2 titles I own are 'So Dear to My Heart', 'Complete Creature Comforts Season 1' and 'The Snowman Special Edition' - the rest of my collection all come from PLAYUSA.COM who are fantastic importers! The above comment was about the Region 1 version. Not even sure if there is a R2 out....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: ...

Post by Stego » December 15th, 2004, 11:04 pm

JustinWilliams wrote:The only animated R2 titles I own are 'So Dear to My Heart', 'Complete Creature Comforts Season 1' and 'The Snowman Special Edition' - the rest of my collection all come from PLAYUSA.COM who are fantastic importers!
Pardon me...but is this the same 'Creature Comfots' as done by Aardman?
I have a DVD for the animated short by the same name...am i to understand that there was an entire SEASON of this show? I remember hearing something about another version done more recently (about domesticated animals, i think)...but i just assumed it was another short.

...thanks for any info

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Yeah a whole new season of animation exists!

Post by JustinWilliams » December 16th, 2004, 9:02 am

Everything you need to know (and some clips) can be found here .... http://www.creaturecomforts.tv and you can buy the special edition of the season from www.play.com who are great! Free shipping too! :)

The extras include:

Special Features
'Creating Creature Comforts' featurette

'Bringing Creature Comforts To Life' featurette: follow characters from storyboard, character stills, LAV tests to finished footage

Who's Missing?

Wallace And Gromit in 'Project Zoo'

CD-ROM section including posters, soundbites, wallpapers and much more

Favourite Bits - the director's choice of best clips

TV Extras - ITV1 channel idents and National TV Awards clips

Bringing Creature Comforts To Life - from initial concepts to final animation

Who Said That? - a game

Downloadable Wallpapers - for your desktop

Say That Again - downloadable phrases from favourite characters plus Weblinks