Re: Iron Giant

Post by James » February 18th, 2016, 9:36 am

img_LjFAHq.jpg
img_LjFAHq.jpg (38.25 KiB) Viewed 7732 times

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2016, 10:13 am

You own that on a tee-shirt, don't you...? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 18th, 2016, 10:47 am

Nope. Stole it off the interweb! https://www.myteespot.com/shop/?target= ... t_id=14919

I've been doing some photoshop work for the site since last night (which you'll be seeing soon!) and those last two posts are what happens when I get distracted!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2016, 11:46 am

(James gets distracted a lot.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 18th, 2016, 11:59 am

True dat! :)

(I'm actually kind of proud of how good the bacon one came out! Even zoomed in you can barely tell it's been photoshopped!)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 21st, 2016, 6:15 am

So we could be getting the Blu-ray - with confirmed new feature documentary - around August. That's when a new Art Of The Iron Giant book comes along (better late than never!), and it would make sense to do a bit of tie-in timing (and a completion timeframe makes sense):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1785652567

Added to that, The Iron Giant Returns page is awfully cryptic...

http://theirongiantreturns.com

So...yeah, I'm thinking August is when we can unleash our inner Hogarth...! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ohmahaaha » March 21st, 2016, 6:14 pm

Wait, so there's going to be a sequel??? :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 21st, 2016, 7:23 pm

Haha, ohmahaaha...!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 26th, 2016, 11:56 pm

Saw the premiere of The Iron Giant documentary The Giant's Dream at WonderCon just a few hours ago. Director Anthony Giacchino said it was actually 95% finished, which is interesting because the doc was amazing as is. He was joined in the post screening Q&A by Brad Bird, head of story Jeff Lynch, supervising animator Dean Wellins, Scott Johnston, and Teddy Newton. We gave the film, and later the crew, a standing ovation.

The doc revealed that two scenes will be added to The Iron Giant in the signature edition. Brad said both scenes only amounted to about a minute's worth of time.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 27th, 2016, 1:13 am

Hang on, weren't the new scenes already added last year? Or are these tow new scenes in addition to that?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 27th, 2016, 3:18 am

The doc said scenes added to the signature edition, so I'm assuming they're new.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 27th, 2016, 5:26 am

These sound new on TOP of the two that were already added for the SE last year, since those added up to about three minutes of new material. So this sounds like the film has had further tinkering and added yet another minute or so to it.

Unless the doc's mention was just covering the two scenes added previously and Bird didn't know the exact runtime when he made the comment. Or did he make the comment at th screening itself? If that is the case then I'd say these were two new scenes on top of the ones already there (so, four new scenes added to the theatrical cut we saw in '99).

I guess we'll know for sure when we get the disc this summer. I would guess if it's 95% there then all they have to do is some tinkering on the sound and image to bring it up to standard levels, maybe adding or taking an interview away here or there. But it sounds fantastic!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 27th, 2016, 11:53 am

Brad made the comment that the two scenes amounted to about a minute's worth after the screening. He noted these were scenes that they wanted to keep in, but couldn't due to time and money.

All the interviews in the doc are voice overs, everything is from video recordings Anthony dug up from Warners and everyone involved on the film. He even includes the animated film Brad made when he was 14 to bookend the doc, the ending featuring the only on-camera recording with Brad watching his first film with amusement.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 28th, 2016, 12:44 am

A quick video I made from when I asked Brad a question. First half of the video is actually the tail-end of them answering a question about storyboarding.

Interesting angle is because I was literally shooting from my hip. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 28th, 2016, 9:14 am

I'm betting they were the scenes already added since the version in theatres last year was the Signature Edition.