Iron Giant

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Iron Giant

Post by Ben » March 28th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Yeah, but the word here was that they were two additional scenes added *to* the SE...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 28th, 2016, 4:12 pm

The Iron Giant: Signature Edition is currently on store shelves, on DVD .. and it has no added scenes beyond what was shown in theaters, last year (it doesn't have the documentary screened at WonderCon, either, obviously).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 28th, 2016, 7:49 pm

...which leads me to believe that on top of the three minutes added to the SE for showings last year and the current DVD, that an "extra minute or so" has been added since then, in the form of two additional but briefer moments.

We shall see when the Blu-ray hits this summer...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 29th, 2016, 1:14 am

This.
iron.jpg
iron.jpg (230.21 KiB) Viewed 7220 times
Up for preorder at Amazon! Finally, WB gives the film some respect!!! :)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Iron-Giant-Bl ... PDKIKX0DER

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 29th, 2016, 2:14 am

Cool-looking boxed set! I didn't realize an 'art of' book would be included. :)

I have the japanese 'art of' book, which dates from The Iron Giant's theatrical release in Japan:

My copy has been signed by Brad Bird, Tony Fucile, and other members of the IG crew .. at various events, over the years. 8)

Despite the 'Complete Book' title, it's actually more of a 'mook' (a japanese borrowed-word combination of 'magazine/book'). Its brisk 98 pages are mostly taken up by a full-color 'photo-story' version of the film and fluff splash pages devoted to each of the main characters. There's also a few pages of 'fan art' for the film by japanese artists. A brief black & white section devoted to production designs and model sheets (reproduced, for the most part, in microscopic scale) takes up the few remaining pages.

So, it's not the greatest 'art of' book. Still, it's the only one the movie had, until now.

It's nice to see Warner Bros accord this movie respect, indeed! :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » March 29th, 2016, 4:08 am

Well, if the Amazon specs are to be believed, the Ultimate Edition "Art of" book is an even brisker 32 pages…. Still, it's quite a stellar package.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 29th, 2016, 4:34 am

Randall wrote:This.
iron.jpg
Gee-whizz!!

Wow...was not expecting that, or that it would be so nicely done.

We get this and a new art book (different to the briefer one that will be in this set)!? Looks like they got someone new in at Warner Video, and maybe we'll see some decent editions for other overlooked films. But this is hugely welcome, especially since it had looked like WB had stopped putting out these kinds of bigger packaged sets.

And the release date? Well, that's my birthday sorted! Pre-ordered! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 29th, 2016, 9:35 am

September 6th? That's a week after my birthday. Meaning it's a week too late. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 7th, 2016, 12:19 pm

If you missed out on The Iron Giant in theaters last year (which most people did), you may have another chance to see it. The Signature Edition will be part of Regal's summer movie program. Admission is only a dollar (although you'll be surrounded by noisy little kids, so there is that).

http://www.regmovies.com/Movies/Summer-Movie-Express
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 24th, 2016, 10:54 am

Filmmakers find vindication in movie's delayed success:

http://www.sfchronicle.com/movies/artic ... fb-premium
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » September 24th, 2016, 6:24 pm

I didn't notice any new footage on the Blu-ray that wasn't in the theatrical Signature Edition. Still, I recommend this purchase to anyone, even those who have the DVD. It carries over all the supplements from the DVD (except the WB version of the theatrical trailer and the storyboard versions of the added scenes). Thankfully, it allows you to watch the "Behind the Armor" featurettes without having to watch the whole movie.

The real attraction, of course, is the new documentary, The Giant's Dream, directed by Anthony Giacchino (brother of composer Michael and director of the special features of Mission: Impossible--Ghost Protocol). Starting off with on overview of Bird's early life and career (including a tragic event in his life that I wasn't aware of and adds poignant context to The Iron Giant's premise), it eschews talking heads in favor of vintage footage and cartoons drawn by Teddy Newton.

The disc also includes a vintage "Making of" special clearly made for TV (with Vin Diesel bumpers marking the commercial breaks). It's primarily EPK in nature, but it is pretty much the only place on the disc where you can see the voice actors (even if most of their responses are of the canned, vapid variety.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 12th, 2022, 8:05 pm

Varèse Sarabande has just issued an expanded 'Deluxe Edition' CD score for The Iron Giant, which is exclusively available from their online 'VS CD Club' shop.

It features 64 minutes of score (as opposed to VS's original 1999 CD, which offered 49 minutes) -- and has an additional 13 minutes of alternates, source music & demos .. including an attempt at an end-title song for the film: "Souls Don't Die." :o

The physical CD release is limited to 2000 copies .. but this expanded IG score will also be available for purchase via digital download & streaming sites.

--------------------------------

BTW, Varèse Sarabande CD Club simultaneously released an expanded 2-CD score for How to Train Your Dragon 2, by John Powell .. which also seems very cool, but just didn't excite me nearly as much! :mrgreen:
Last edited by droosan on March 13th, 2022, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 13th, 2022, 5:00 am

Thanks for the news on the two soundtracks. Will be placing my order tomorrow afternoon for both items.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 13th, 2022, 6:24 am

Iron Giant ordered, along with their deluxe edition of Looney Tunes: Back In Action. Thankfully, VS have a UK store, with slightly more limited stock, but they had these two, and one other that was only available in the US did get a UK wide release, so able to nab that from Amazon, where all of them are available…as digital downloads only (and another one I nearly got…I, er, found I already had! Thank goodness for keeping lists)! Thanks for the heads up Droo…have also now subscribed to their email list. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 15th, 2022, 1:42 pm

Added to my wish list! Great score.