Bee Movie

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 8th, 2007, 3:34 pm

CGIFanatic wrote:I haven’t seen Wall-E but from the little snippet that we’ve seen we saw the little robot (inanimate object) somehow have an emotional connection with the little cockroach (living creature) which if you think about it, it certainly doesn’t scream logic.
Why not?

A robot is anything but an inanimate object. A dish is an inanimate object. A table is an inanimate object.

A robot consists of many hundreds of joints and motors to make sure it is anything BUT inanimate! Especially a robot like WALL-E, which has been designed to clean up after us.

In addition, WALL-E is a mechanical device that is, or will become, "aware" in the course of the film. This said, he's alone and needing companionship. Any living creature - anything that moves or responds in some way, in fact, or that he can relate to - is logic enough for him to create an emotional connection to.

Tom Hanks did it with a basketball - a REAL inanimate object - in Cast Away...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 8th, 2007, 4:15 pm

Actually Ben, it was a volleyball.

A basketball would have been just silly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » November 8th, 2007, 5:42 pm

Ben wrote:Tom Hanks did it with a basketball - a REAL inanimate object - in Cast Away...
Actually it was Alex from Madagascar who did IT with basketball spoofing Tom Hanks and his relationship with Wilson ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 8th, 2007, 6:27 pm

So...I'm lost.

Yep, gotcha Meg, a basketball <I>would</I> have been silly!

But so what about Alex from Madagascar? That has <I>nothing</I> to do with the point I was making, unless I am missing the volleyball/basketball connection from another dimension?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » November 8th, 2007, 6:38 pm

I’m sorry for using the word inanimate Ben, perhaps I should have used non-living but I’m sure you could have inferred what I was saying from re-reading my post. The last time I looked my toaster, refrigerator or car although residing in my house (they) don’t worry or show emotion towards me if I stub my toe on the kitchen table.

However, because we are talking about a movie (animated or otherwise) anything is plausible but it should also be plausible that a bee under certain conditions could indeed break one of the cardinal rules in their world.

Spoiler alert below:
Remember, the reason why Barry chose to speak to Vanessa was because he was grateful to her for saving his life and wanted to express his feeling.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 8th, 2007, 7:01 pm

I don't have a problem with why Barry and Vanessa can speak to each other in Bee Movie.

Just like I didn't care about talking mice in The Rescuers, or a walking talking piece of wood in Pinocchio.

If the illusion of the film's world makes it work, it is so. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » November 8th, 2007, 8:30 pm

Ben wrote: But so what about Alex from Madagascar? That has <I>nothing</I> to do with the point I was making, unless I am missing the volleyball/basketball connection from another dimension?
Definitely. You're missing the connection... :( And I let You! Why do I let You ? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 9th, 2007, 10:57 am

Generally speaking, I think the interesting difference between Disney animation and Dreamworks animation is that Disney movies can be enjoyed by adults, but are very kid-friendly and Dreamworks movies can be enjoyed by kids, but are very adult-friendly. Bee Movie is a perfect example of this. Except for one specific joke, there's nothing that would be inappropriate for my six year old niece, but I don't think she would get as much out of the story as I did.
The joke I'm referring to is the one about the suicide pact, which is funny in context but kind of dark for this type of comedy.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » November 9th, 2007, 12:42 pm

eddievalient wrote:
The joke I'm referring to is the one about the suicide pact, which is funny in context but kind of dark for this type of comedy.
Well, kids like dark comedy no matter what type of film they're watching actually even if the movie is a very bad one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » November 9th, 2007, 12:42 pm

I don't know,i feel Dreamworks are kinda look more childish (Madagscar for example).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 9th, 2007, 12:58 pm

I actually could've done without that joke...but at least it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » November 9th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:I actually could've done without that joke...but at least it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
Neither did Seinfeld, the TV show to be specific.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 11th, 2007, 10:04 am

"Bee Movie" beat "Fred Claus":

http://boxofficemojo.com/lu.php?1sL
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 12th, 2007, 9:43 pm

That's great news, espicially since I know I had a part in it! :) Yup, caught Bee Movie over the weekend.

What to say, um, I didn't love it. :( The visuals were great, loved the animation, (Barry was so cute!) and thought the voice cast was good, but I just didn't feel anything else. To be honest, it felt like Cinderella II all over again... which is bad, to say the least. It did flow, but they hardly - if ever - acknowledged what had happened before. :?

Not to mention, what I had been fearing since we got those early reviews months ago, the Bee/human relationship. It was... a little weired, not much else.

I don't know, I would still recommend it, and will likely pick it up on DVD, but it could've so much better. So... 2.5(?)/5 stars.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 12th, 2007, 10:47 pm

To be honest, it felt like Cinderella II all over again...
Which is just about the harshest thing that anyone can say about a movie. ;)