The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 16th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Chocolate, haha. Looks yummy! ;) Thanks for posting it Locall and welcome!

Mama Odie looks... not at all how I pictured her. It's ok, I'm sure she looks better in context. BTW Rob, I hid your pictures since some people might not want to be spoiled and it was a tad big. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by starlioness » March 16th, 2009, 10:01 pm

wow, those character designs are great Rob.. I'm getting a Prince Edward/Gaston vibe from Naveen .. but I love how Dr.Faciler.. I wonder if he'll have a song or not ;)..

not that crazy about Ray or Mama Odie.. but time will tell later ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 17th, 2009, 3:59 am

So great to finally see some more character designs up close and not just of Tiana. The Prince does seem smug but I think that's because of the big cheesy grin, which they appear to be using to distinguish him as a frog which is cool by me. The villain loos a bit strange but that's not the best picture. Mama Odie reminds me of a worm or something.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Locall » March 17th, 2009, 4:09 am

Personally they all look a bit cliche to me, Tiana is the typically beautiful princess, Naveen a perfect male, mama Odie looks a bit weird, they could have made her much more mysterious and the sunglasses are a big nono imo...
I like the villain though 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » March 17th, 2009, 5:04 am

Dr. Facilier and Mama Odie look like really bad concept art. Disney couldn't sink that low, could they?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 17th, 2009, 3:49 pm

I really do like Tiana's dress but the other characters are kind of bland. I loved the original concept art (with the pretty backgrounds); in comparison these seem kind of weak. Sometimes I get the feeling that this movie is more about creating a new marketable princess, directly copying old disney 'princess movies' but aiming it at a new target audience in a non-offensive setting rather than a creating a good movie. Then again we don't have very much to go on so I won't make any solid opinions.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 17th, 2009, 4:14 pm

I really agree with you,I see before that IMO the only reason they created this film is to add a black Disney Princess to the line.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » March 17th, 2009, 5:31 pm

I've been looking forward to this movie since it was announced. How long has that been, two years? I'm going to be extremley disappointed if it doesn't live up to my expectations and my expectations are consistent with the quality Disney was producing throughout the 1990's.

I have similar concerns though. Obviously Ron and John are capable directors, but I just worry about the studio's interference. I know it may sound nitpicky, but I don't like the idea of Toddler Tiana. They're already marketing the doll and it seems like the scene is included to do just that. Also, Naveen looks like Prince Edward from "Enchanted", a joke. I've watched the trailer a thousand times and try to soak in the animation, but Tiana's sassy line about kissing on the lips is somewhat jarring.

I just want the film to be taken seriously and be a real return to form for Disney. I hope the creative team is doing everything they can but the modifications they made to please the PC-crowd is just another cause for worry.

Don't mean to be cynical, I really want this movie to be what it can be. And I'll reserve judgement until I see more, because the artwork for Dr. Facilier and Mama Odie is clearly not final.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » March 17th, 2009, 5:52 pm

I think it would be wise not to judge the film based on Disney princess marketing material.

All the Disney princesses look horribly cheesy and uninteresting. If all I'd seen of Sleeping Beauty were the brightly colored pink images of her on lunchboxes I would have no idea that it has little to nothing to do with the actual film.

All we've seen so far are some Princess-related promotional images. They say very little about the film. I mean you don't get a sense of how dark and complex Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin actually are when you look at the way these films are represented in the Disney Princess Brand.

Take for example the scene description given from someone attending comic con. The prince's encounter with the villain sounded fascinating.

I think it's time to put some faith in Musker, Clements and Lasseter.

And that Mama Odie image is just concept art, while Tiana, Naveen and Louis look like photos of images from a Disney promotional stickerbook. Maybe we should wait for some official stuff.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 17th, 2009, 7:34 pm

I agree with you. I do have faith that they can make a wonderful movie like Beauty and the Beast. I'm just worried because, like you said, all we have seen so far are promotional images and marketing pieces for toys and such. I was just voicing my concerns and hoping that for this movie they are truly letting the creativity and story be the focus of the movie. I have this fear because this movie was made after the princess franchise was created and things such as Miley Cyrus are everywhere. I hope they do it for the art. I do have faith in them. I just have to be patient.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 18th, 2009, 3:28 am

I too have faith that we will get a great movie, but I will also admit that I'm a bit concerned about the amount of Princess-related images we are seeing. To me it's kinda limiting the film to little guys. At the moment everything is about making sure little girls want to see it. What about mum, dad and the boys.

I think possibly it would be better to promote the movie as a return to the way animation used to be. But with better words obviously. A return to how Walt created them or something. I don't know.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 18th, 2009, 10:05 am

PatrickvD wrote:while Tiana, Naveen and Louis look like photos of images from a Disney promotional stickerbook.
How do you know it's a from a sticker book? and the merchandise isn't a problem,they"re making a movie just to add a black Princess to the line.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » March 18th, 2009, 12:07 pm

Bill1978 wrote:I too have faith that we will get a great movie, but I will also admit that I'm a bit concerned about the amount of Princess-related images we are seeing. To me it's kinda limiting the film to little guys. At the moment everything is about making sure little girls want to see it. What about mum, dad and the boys.

I think possibly it would be better to promote the movie as a return to the way animation used to be. But with better words obviously. A return to how Walt created them or something. I don't know.
Good point. I remember reading articles back when "Atlantis" and "Treasure Planet" were released, about Disney wanting to make films for boys since the majority of films released in the 90's were for girls and they hadn't really cornered that market yet. Um, what? I think those films were accessible to all audiences. And that is how they should be promoting "The Princess and the Frog".
Once Upon A Dream wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:while Tiana, Naveen and Louis look like photos of images from a Disney promotional stickerbook.
How do you know it's a from a sticker book? and the merchandise isn't a problem,they"re making a movie just to add a black Princess to the line.
I think he meant that they look more like stock images, not that they were necessarily from any book. They're obviously not stills, we have that beautiful picture of Tiana in the green dress with the frog so the look of the movie isn't going to be as cartoony as what we saw from aintitcoolnews.com.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 18th, 2009, 12:11 pm

No doubt the action and adventure aspects will be explored in appropriate marketing nearer the time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 18th, 2009, 12:35 pm

Oh,I see what you mean,anyway those are the cliparts they"ll use in the merchandise,about Treasure Planet and Atlantis-I think it's silly,I really how Disney do that "Princess And The Frog/Sleeping Beauty/TinkerBell for girls or that Prince Caspian/Bolt/Toy Story for boys" Disney (And Pixar too) are for everyone.