The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 18th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Interesting article... I think we did know, but my mind forgets. Well, he doesn't look white, lite Black maybe or possibly hispanic. I agree with this:
Anika Noni Rose, the black actress who voices the character of Princess Tiana, has insisted that people should look beyond the colour of the character.
And this never dawned on me, but:
‘Not only is she the first black princess, she’s the first American princess. We’ve never had an American princess,’ said Rose.
That's so true, I can't believe it never clicked with me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 18th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Pocahontas is American.
Anika Noni Rose, the black actress who voices the character of Princess Tiana, has insisted that people should look beyond the colour of the character.
And where was Anika when those dumb people kept saying that this movie is racist?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rosengeist » March 18th, 2009, 5:09 pm

To be fair Once, most of the criticism of PatF has been online. They're hasn't been much public outcry against the film, I mean not that I've actually heard. No one has actually said in the news "how dare they make a black princess"

I don't honestly think a professional actress is going online looking at all the negative buzz that might be surrounding her film. She's running around with a demanding job.

I also really don't think that the only reason the film is being made is because it would have a black princess. Yes, these films are made to make money, but if it were really just for a black audiance it would be marketed more specifically to that. Disney will try and market this film to the widest audiance it can.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rosengeist » March 18th, 2009, 5:19 pm

And where was Anika when those dumb people kept saying that this movie is racist?.
Most of the criticism of PatF has been online. They're hasn't been much public outcry against the film. This isn't something that's making big news in the press yet. Few people have actually criticized this film in the media. There are stirrings of negativity in the media for this film

I don't honestly think a professional actress is going online looking at all the negative buzz that might be surrounding her film. She's running around with a demanding job.

I also really don't think that the only reason the film is being made is because it would have a black princess. Yes, these films are made to make money, but if it were really just for a black audiance it would be marketed more specifically to that. Disney will try and market this film to the widest audiance it can.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » March 18th, 2009, 11:13 pm

I can't even read any more of the race issues people are bringing up. They're all ridiculous.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rosengeist » March 19th, 2009, 2:30 am

I don't think the racial controversy around this film is going to go away anytime soon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » March 19th, 2009, 9:23 am

Once Upon A Dream wrote:Pocahontas is American.
Just lay off her OK? Just because she's a celebrity does not mean she can dispel everyone's ridiculous protest. Plus she wasn't casted yet that time.

I mean, let's just say for the sake of argument they change Naveen into an African guy, you know what these people are gonna say? Disney is against multiculturalism, Disney is agaisnt mixed race marriage. The people protesting just needs to take a chill pill and realize that Disney IS NOT saying anything.

On the other hand you do have to question the Paramount's choice of making the actors in the live action Avatar:The Last Airbender (a story based on a mish-mash of Asian culture and influences where clearly each of the characters are supposed to look like Asians/Native Americans) all Caucasian.
Jake wrote:I can't even read any more of the race issues people are bringing up. They're all ridiculous.
Ya, really. Make Naveen African and they're still gonna say something like Disney's against mixed-race marriage, Tiana's not good enough to snag an sophisticated guy from Europe. *sigh*
*insert witty comment*

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 19th, 2009, 10:16 am

Rosengeist wrote:
Most of the criticism of PatF has been online. They're hasn't been much public outcry against the film. This isn't something that's making big news in the press yet. Few people have actually criticized this film in the media. There are stirrings of negativity in the media for this film

They didn't said anything not online? but how Disney decided to make the changes?,and no,I don't see her either reading those dumb people's posts XD,if it's not the only then it's the main reason,I don't think we whould have this movie if the Princess line wasn't so sucessful,and agree with Jack,it's silly.
fani wrote:
Once Upon A Dream wrote:Pocahontas is American.
Just lay off her OK? Just because she's a celebrity does not mean she can dispel everyone's ridiculous protest. Plus she wasn't casted yet that time.

I mean, let's just say for the sake of argument they change Naveen into an African guy, you know what these people are gonna say? Disney is against multiculturalism, Disney is agaisnt mixed race marriage. The people protesting just needs to take a chill pill and realize that Disney IS NOT saying anything.

On the other hand you do have to question the Paramount's choice of making the actors in the live action Avatar:The Last Airbender (a story based on a mish-mash of Asian culture and influences where clearly each of the characters are supposed to look like Asians/Native Americans) all Caucasian.
She can't convince everyone but she should help anyway,Naveen is actually from Malodnia (Is that a real place by the way? or it's another place like Andalasia,Atlantica and Agrabah?) but I think they will say that and they"re wrong.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » March 19th, 2009, 10:47 am

Was it Maldonia? I thought it was Moldavia.

Re: Anika Noni Rose

I thought that comment about looking past "colour" was one of the helps. I'm surprised Oprah hasn't chimed in. After all, she is playing Tiana's mom.
*insert witty comment*

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2009, 5:09 pm

fani wrote:On the other hand you do have to question the Paramount's choice of making the actors in the live action Avatar:The Last Airbender (a story based on a mish-mash of Asian culture and influences where clearly each of the characters are supposed to look like Asians/Native Americans) all Caucasian.
This isn't true, as the film has confirmed Dev Patel in the lead.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 19th, 2009, 5:50 pm

With a name like Naveen I always assumed that the prince was from a mythical land near the Middle East, maybe with his Kingdom next to Agrabah. Even the little bit of images I've seen indicate that he is more Aladdin than John Smith, in origin.

People will find anything to complain about. I can just imagine that if Beauty And The Beast was released this year people would be complaining about beastiality.

I remember when The Lion King came out people complained that the Hyenas were voiced by African-Americans and Hispanic. While conventiently ignoring that The King And Queen of Pride Rock were voiced by African-American.

As long as the story is enjoyable, the songs are catchy and their is great humour, I'm sure I'll enjoy the movie irregardless of the skin colour.

Just a quick question - the images of Tiana in her white wedding dress. Is the dress actually a debutante dress? I just kinda worked that out f that's the case. I'm obviously have a very slow year and need things spelt out to me.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2009, 7:21 pm

I didn't know of anyone having problems with Jasmine, Pocahontas or Mulan's skin color...why should Tiana be any different?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » March 19th, 2009, 9:02 pm

Ben wrote:This isn't true, as the film has confirmed Dev Patel in the lead.
You're right. Except the Fire Nation was supposed to be based on Southeast-Asian/Chinese culture. Not that I have any problem with Patel, he's obviously a good actor and a better choice than Jesse Mccartney, I just wish they'd casted an East Asian or Southeast Asian to play the guys in Fire Nation.

Then again I don't have $200 mill ++ to finance this movie :P.

Anyway, back to Princess and The Frog ^^. Anyone seen comments from other cast members defending this movie?
*insert witty comment*

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » March 19th, 2009, 10:04 pm

I don't see whats the whole fuss about the princess in this being black. I am for one happy that its finally happening but what the hell is with all the criticism about it?? I think this is something Walt Disney should've thought of this in the first place... Or Maybe this is something he himself wanted.

Bill1978- If "Beauty and the beast" and some of the other films were released by today's standards, they would have NOT G rated. Beauty and the beast would've ended up with a PG13 rating. There are some disturbing things that you would never find in a kids cartoon. Im kinda shocked that this got G rated.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 20th, 2009, 7:17 am

I think that is one ofthe problem with today's ratings system. They are overly sensitive on many things.

When BatB was originally released in Australia it was rated G. And that was it. When it was re-released on it's 10th Anniversary it was rate G with the extra information that 'Some scenes may frighten very young children'. I think it's a great pity that as soon as there is something remotely potentially threatening that it gets slapped with a warning or worse it's rating is upgraded. It has turned the G rating into something that means only 5 years could get any enjoyment out of it, as opposed to the idea that anyone can enjoy it.