The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » May 4th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Locall wrote:I'm not sure on the comical aspects though... I wished they'd take it more serious... :oops:
I wasn't able to see this clip before because YouTube is blocked at work. When I read this comment I was a little nervous to watch the footage! I really don't want the return to 2D to be treated like a "pop-culture" comedy.

Watching the clip though, I couldn't be more excited. I think the humor is very reminiscent of what we saw in "The Little Mermaid", "Aladdin", and "Hercules", Ron and John's other projects. It looks like it'll be tasteful and serve the story. Naveen is hilarious! I think this is going to be a great movie: the animation looks beautiful and I love the character designs. I've always had faith in this project. I just hope they don't try to sell it purely as a comedy in the promotional campaign.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 5th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Aaron_03 wrote:Finally a movie that is more like the classic Disney movies.
What about Enchanted? Bolt? Lilo And Stitch? I consider them classics.
As for the clip-Naveen's voice is creepy and he seems pretty hyperactive when he's a frog,when he's a human he looks like Phillip,something Tiana seems weird,and the villain reminds me of Jafar.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Princess and the Frog - v2

Post by Jake » May 5th, 2009, 2:53 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:As for the clip-Naveen's voice is creepy and he seems pretty hyperactive when he's a frog,when he's a human he looks like Phillip,something Tiana seems weird,and the villain reminds me of Jafar.
For some reason Naveen reminds me of Bartok from Anastasia as a frog :D I kind of like his personality from what we've seen. He was described as "fun-loving" in the original casting call. It'll be interesting to see how he is as a human.

I liked Tiana's "One kiss?": her expression and mannerism were cute.

Moderators edit: original thread here.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » May 5th, 2009, 5:34 pm

I was just going to post that clip. I guess I was beat to it :P I thought the villain was a female? a voodooo woman? Why am I confused?

The prince's voice is so strange. :P
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » May 5th, 2009, 5:39 pm

Tiana and Naveen vist a voodoo priestess, Mama Odie, to help lift the spell.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EHH123 » May 5th, 2009, 8:55 pm

She will be drawn by Andreas Deja, who ironically did Disney villains Gaston, Jafar, and Scar. Andreas has been staying away from villains since then. He has supervised Hercules, Lilo, Mickey Mouse and was a consultant on "Bambi II".

I want to talk a little bit about Ray, the Cajun firefly character. Some are calling this character a stereotype. First, this character is voiced by Jim Cummings, who also does Winnie the Pooh and did many voices on the Disney Afternoon shows. This was from an interview he did. http://www.cultofcummings.com/2009/02/j ... character/
Jim is not trying to offend anyone. In fact, he might have joined this movie because it honors New Orleans. Also, I showed the trailer and the youtube clip to my mother, because she knows some Cajuns (we live in Virginia but Louisiana is a second home to my family). She wasn't offended at all. Finally, the trailer and 2 second clip is all we have so far. Let us see more footage before we say anything.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » May 5th, 2009, 9:13 pm

He falls in love with the evening star...that's cute. Thanks for posting the article :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 5th, 2009, 9:18 pm

The Cult of Cummings wrote:Ray is a lovesick firefly who’s near-sighted
Heh, we have something in common. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » May 5th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Jake wrote:Tiana and Naveen vist a voodoo priestess, Mama Odie, to help lift the spell.
That's why I was so confused lol :P Thanks for clearing that up.'

Seeing the clips with the firefly I'm just afraid he is going to be kind of obnoxious, like that unnecissary side character but we still really don't know that much about the movie since they have kept a very good hold on the secrets of the film. :P

Another controversy that keeps coming up on the internet is that Tiana and the prince are an interracial couple... what nationality is the prince supposed to be? He has such a weird accent.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2009, 5:43 am

I never knew you were a firefly, Dan. Wow, great achievement working your keyboard. Must really need to come down hard on those characters to make up the words in your posts. But at least I guess you get a nice spring out of your spacebar...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 6th, 2009, 8:05 am

I didn't even know that there was a controversy over the firefly. I thought all the controversy was focussed on the black princess falling in love with the non white white prince.

Love the sneak peak of the footage. It has really helped build interest within me. Not that it wasn't there before. Everything is looking great and if the songs can be as good as Menken's best, I think Disney may be onto a winner.

As a fan of the musical, I guess the songs are my biggest trepidation. I just re-listened to the songs of Newman's from Cats Don't Dance and James And The Giant Peach, and to be honest I don't think they are that great - especially James'. Cats' are alright but they never struck me as wonderful musical songs if you get my drift.

Can't wait for the soundtrack release so I can start to make up my mind. Hopefully they'll be a good sneak peak in the trailer.

Thanks for posting the vid.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » May 6th, 2009, 2:35 pm

I love the music to "Cats Don't Dance". It might not be up to par with Menken's best but I don't really compare it, anyway. They're nice songs that stand out on their own. "Tell Me Lies" is still one of my favorites. "Danny's Arrival Song" and "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" are great too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 6th, 2009, 2:52 pm

Ben wrote:I never knew you were a firefly, Dan. Wow, great achievement working your keyboard. Must really need to come down hard on those characters to make up the words in your posts. But at least I guess you get a nice spring out of your spacebar...
Haha. I knew someone was going to say something to that affect, and yet I still didn't bold the desired part... oh well. ;)

Anyhoo, a review of sorts from someone who got to see a test screening! Sounds positive enough. I love the notion of nods and hearing what the user says makes me ecstatic. That and the obvious “classic” storytelling elements... ahh!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by starlioness » May 6th, 2009, 4:20 pm

I know this has been mentioned before , but this screams Rescuers crossed with Beauty and the Beast.. :lol:

but when I first saw Emp's Groove I thought it was a Hercules/Beauty and the Beast cross. ;)..

heh, the Firefly is so like Evinrude the Dragonfly from Rescuers..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 6th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Just saw a commercial on Disney Channel, they're are going to give an exclusive look at TPaTF this Saturday (5/9) at 8:30pm during "Wizards of Waverly Place". In the brief commercial announcing it, it showed scenes we've just seen from that Youtube video... only y'know crystal clear. The logo looked beautiful!!

I know it will probably be like 2 minutes, heck I'll be content if it's the exact video on YT, but still can't wait! :D *sets DVR*