The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 7th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Too many princess films?

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=011581

I don't know, I think it's great that Disney's returning to its roots and producing huge, lavish fairy tales. :)

In our troubled times, people need Disney to provide them with escapist fantasies and romantic adventures. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 7th, 2006, 5:15 pm

A good many of guys over at AN seem to love complaining about...everything.

I'm all for Disney doing princess movies, particularly since Ron and John are directing this one.

I wonder if this is based on the book with the same title? -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158234 ... 46?ie=UTF8

- Because if it is, that makes me happy. It was a really fun book and I kept thinking while reading it, "This would make a great animated flick!"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 7th, 2006, 8:03 pm

This will be a fantastic hit.

People, whether they know it or not, are absolutely itching for a traditional traditional Disney movie, and a princess musical is as about as pure as it can be.

Sorry, Meg, this one is based on the original fairy-tale (from Russian folklore if I'm not mistaken).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 7th, 2006, 8:20 pm

Sorry, Meg, this one is based on the original fairy-tale (from Russian folklore if I'm not mistaken).
Thanks. I was confused about that. :) I'm really looking forward to this, I love Ron and Jons' movies! (Well except maybe Treasure Planet.)

This will be a fantastic hit.
With Disney's marketing, of course it will be! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » August 8th, 2006, 1:05 am

Ben wrote:This will be a fantastic hit.

People, whether they know it or not, are absolutely itching for a traditional traditional Disney movie, and a princess musical is as about as pure as it can be.

I remember when Disney said, beginning with "Atlantis", that they wanted to make films more aimed at boys than for girls. Movies like "Hercules" and "Tarzan" I think crossed-over pretty well, whereas "Atlantis" and "Treasure Planet" were more action-packed and were definitely not as girl-friendly. I myself am a guy and even then I thought that was a huge mistake. You can't exclude your audience like that. You have to give them strong characters, both male and female -- that way viewers can relate to the film despite who they are.

Disney is in need of another classic. Along with that comes the Broadway-style musical. Too, the more traditional storytelling and characters. Call it formula, but people are nostalgic for it. Thats the reason millions of people go to DisneyWorld every year, why the 2D classics still sell remarkably well on DVD. Disney knows it still sells, otherwise why would they continue on with the way DisneyWorld runs?

I agree with Ben that "The Frog Princess" will be a hit - and I hope so, too. I think something traditional can revive whats been lost over the past few years. Which is why I'm glad to hear that the movie will be based on the original Russian fairytale. From what I've researched, it sounds like "Sleeping Beauty" meets "Narnia" meets (yes) "The Swan Princess". Which I think sounds great!

Note: I noticed that someone on those forums expressed concern over Alan Meken composing the music because he wrote the songs for "Home on the Range". It'll be interesting to see how "Enchanted" turns out, but I doubt Disney would give him a six-picture deal if he really had 'lost his touch'. Plus, "Wicked" has proven to be very successful and I love the music for it. I think the music for "The Frog Princess" will be every bit as great as his work on the best of Disney's films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » August 8th, 2006, 2:00 am

"Wicked" is music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 8th, 2006, 2:14 am

Disney is in need of another classic. Along with that comes the Broadway-style musical. Too, the more traditional storytelling and characters. Call it formula, but people are nostalgic for it.
Hey, that's one of the reasons why I like Sinbad. :wink:

I think that if it were released today, like this summer, it would do a whole lot better. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 8th, 2006, 9:02 am

Sullivan wrote:"Wicked" is music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz.
Yep, but Schwartz is doing the lyrics for Enchanted and, most likely, for Frog Princess too, so I think that's where Jake was making the comparison.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » August 8th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Ben wrote:
Sullivan wrote:"Wicked" is music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz.
Yep, but Schwartz is doing the lyrics for Enchanted and, most likely, for Frog Princess too, so I think that's where Jake was making the comparison.
Sorry, I didn't clarify that connection at all. It was late :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » August 8th, 2006, 6:00 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Too many princess films?

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=011581

I don't know, I think it's great that Disney's returning to its roots and producing huge, lavish fairy tales. :)

In our troubled times, people need Disney to provide them with escapist fantasies and romantic adventures. :wink:
they complain all the time. Plus, some people over there seem to think this is a twist on the Frog Prince. But there are various stories out there called The Frog Princess. Why do people so badly want to believe Disney is making a Shrek style film??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 9th, 2006, 8:15 am

I mean, geeze, you'd think animators and stuff would be the first ones to celebrate. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 9th, 2006, 11:00 pm

With all due respect to them (and I admire some of the people on that board a whole lot) I don't think that animators and artists in general are ever really satisfied with things. Their cynical viewpoint stems greatly from the fact that it's SO hard to make a living doing what they do, it requires a lot of work, perseverence and a huge dose of luck as well.

I think that even during "the golden years" of the early-90s there were grumblings among the animation community that Disney is this, that, or the other. Look how little hope there was over the Lion King for a long time. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 10th, 2006, 10:13 am

It's tough being a perfectionist! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » August 11th, 2006, 3:49 am

Animators are naturally grumbly people. I don't know why.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 11th, 2006, 9:16 am

It's tough being a perfectionist! :)