Here's a song from the film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yobELtiUjEE
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's The Princess and the Frog

Post by Dusterian » May 24th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Thank you Meg!

And WOW, thank you Once! I was wondering if anyone would upload that song someday. I don't really like it, but I have to wait until it's sung by the actual character and it all finished before I can really decide. What the heck's with making lyrics that sound like "When You Wish Upon A Star" or some theme park Disney song that purposely references "When You Wish Upon A Star" in the beginning? I didn't know this movie was supposed to be that traditional to Disney classics. There's even a star that shines in the promotional image with the logo for "The Frog Princess"/"The Princess and the Frog" with the two frogs under it in the dark swamp.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by scofo » May 24th, 2008, 1:20 pm

I like it. What you have to take into consideration is the time period in which this song is set in; it has a very New Orleans sound to it, whether or not it resembles a song from other fairy tales is a personal opinion, but it has to also be unique, bland songs do not last with an audience.

Also, I am sure the alligator in the film is more likely going to speak and not just open it's mouth (which the one in Peter Pan), they have to be relatable to kids, and a scary croc design does not fit a character that (I assume) wants to be likable from a kids point of view.

You may want it to look "more fairy-tale" but design is key when appealing to the audiences, and although you don't agree with it, I am sure the producers, directors and designers are happy with it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's The Princess and the Frog

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 25th, 2008, 9:35 am

You"re wellcome,Dusterian :D I think that the song is good thought I need to hear the finished one.
About the star thing-In the first final picture of Tiana you can see her look sadly on a star that the clouds are moving to show it,so I think it's also a point,Wish Upon A Star is kinda a theme of Disney.
This song reminds of This Is Halloween and Home Is.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's The Princess and the Frog

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 25th, 2008, 10:52 am

I forgot to say that this time I"ll hear the songs only in the film (Unlike Enchanted) because I had this scary thought that what if I already heard the songs from The Little Mermaid or Aladdin on the internet.
Last edited by Once Upon A Dream on June 3rd, 2008, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Super_Disneyfan » June 3rd, 2008, 11:00 am

That's a good point!
I think I will do the same!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » June 3rd, 2008, 11:59 am

Yay :D.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » June 4th, 2008, 1:40 pm

From the main page:
Angelina Jolie “upset” by Disney films
Angelina Jolie told Digital Spy in a recent interviews that she finds Disney films offensive because they lack cultural diversity. The actress told OK! that she was reluctant to show her daughters movies from the animation giant because they don’t feature African princesses. “Even the colour of the children in the cartoon matters. There still isn’t a Disney princess that’s African and it’s very difficult because our daughters are getting into princesses right now and it upsets me.” Clearly the actress has not seen the first look image from Disney’s Christmas 2009 2D feature film The Princess and the Frog!
Oh,poor Angelina,she doesn't know that there is an upcoming black princess,and oh,she forgot Jasmine (Arabian),Pocahontas (Native American),Mulan (Asian) and Ariel who isn't even a human.
And poor Angelina never heard of Tarzan or The Lion King (Thought it doesn't have african princess but the characters in Lion King are from Africa and the characters in Tarzan live in Africa but came from other country).
You know,it's very silly to make a black princess just because "Boo hoo! why there's no black princess? Disney must be racist" and making a black princess unnecessary,not to mention that they"re already getting rents about her being chambermaid,oh,so Snow White and Cinderella have to clean around and get badly treated by their stepmoms but Tiana have to be above everybody in her movie because she's black?.
I suppose that she just went to Blockbuster to rent a movie and just saw Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty or Beauty and the Beast and noticed that the heroine is white and thought that they should have a black one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rosengeist » June 4th, 2008, 10:11 pm

Hi, I don't post here often but I think I would like to say something to Once.

I can understand Angelina Jolie getting upset. I am white, but my best friend is Asian, and for a very long time it hurt her badly that there were no Asian princesses in the Disney line. It thrilled her intensely when Mulan came out. She doesn't really like animation as much as I do, but she just gasps everytime someone brings up Mulan. I've talked to her about this (just as one fan to another) and much of her lovefor the film ftems from the fact that she feels like asian culture was shown as being positive through that film. Yes Pocahontas and Jasmine were around then and she liked them, but she doesn't connect to them as readily becuase they aren't representing her culture. Just because a character is darker skinned doesn't mean that they represent any and all non-white cultures.

That being said, I don't think that children should look up to a hero or heroine based upon their race, but I know at least from my friends comments that having a hero who is your race makes you feel more accepted culturally. I don't know what it's like since I have grown up with so many hero's and heroines who come from my own culture and race in film, but I can understand that it must feel very exclusatory to not have a hero or heroine represented in film who is your race. This isn't just a Disney thing, it's a whole film industry thing, until more recent years there haven't been many positive images of non-white characters in film, and even today there are not many non-white protagonists in relation to white ones in American cinema.

Jolie's a busy woman, she probably isn't aware that Disney does have a black heroine in the works many people still aren't aware, and I think her argumant is valid. I mean, yeah Tiana, Jasmine, Mulan, Kida and Pocahontas are not white, but place that against the enormous pantheon of white characters who take the lead in animation and the years of negative imagery that have shown up in animation and we've still got a long way to go. Even Asian and Hispanic characters get more animated leads than Black characters, unfortuneately they have not represented very well or often in animation, there are a few acceptions of course, but they are too few and far between.

You can't simply placate feelings of cultural rejection by saying "well, here's your black heroine, so quit whining." Tiana is being handled so sensitively because she is the first, and this is a PC sensitive time. The fact that she's black means a lot to people, you've really got to be careful that she lives up to a positive standard, and honestly, Pocahontas and Jasmine are culturally offensive to a lot of people, they're not really accurate icons of women of their respective cultures, Disney's taken a lot of flack for how they handled those two characters, and if they aren't careful with Tiana it could be a nightmare. They have a lot riding on that character, in terms of the companies image, animations image (to many people), and their finances.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Viscountesstiara » June 5th, 2008, 12:10 pm

I am very excited for the upcoming Disney fairy tale "The Princess and the Frog," mainly because it's a tradionally animated film. I also have a soft spot for princess movies because I watched them the most when I was a child. The comments Angelina made just points out a larger problem in society as a whole. Obviously, she should think before she speaks next time. It's no secret european/white culture has dominated American society. Things are getting better in my opinion, will they ever be optimal? I don't know. People have a tendency to represent themselves/their culture in their works and such whether it be partially or exclusively. At first I didn't understand the cries against political correctness. After reading so many posts about the movie on many different sites, I'm gaining a better understanding of why people don't want a black princess just for the sake of having all the cultures represented. And I'm not saying that they shouldn't be.

For what ever reason a movie is made whether animated or live-action, I don't like the idea of "token" characters. If people decide to make a movie, they should make the movie they envision. Why should they include black, Asian, or white and such others if they had no intention to include them in the first place. Now this is not every situation, but I see where the PC haters come in. If a white filmmaker or many white filmmakers don't include people of color, I'm sure there is a reason. That reason might be right or wrong, but they shouldn't do it to pacify the masses. I want white people or if it's a person of color making the film, to include people that are different from them because they genuinely wanted to include them. And I'm not talking about including people just to stereotype or debase them. There's no one right answer. In my opinion Disney is damned if they make this movie and damned if they don't. People are going to complain regardless of how much money it generates or how good the story is. Tiana is going to be too light or too dark too skinny or too thick. Her lips too big or too small. Her hair too long and straight or too short and curly. Religious people are going to complain about the voodoo, like people complained about the new-age elements in Pocahontas. I happen to be a Christian and if I don't like how voodoo is protrayed then I don't have to watch it.

I don't think one race gets the license to do just their own race's stories. We all live in this world together, our cultures overlap. Things are not as cut and dry as people make them out to be. I don't like living in a world where people filter almost everything through race and culture, but I also don't want to live in a world where people hide their true feelings about certain things. I'd rather a racist or a person that's insensitive to differences among people to air their grievances. Just like people nowadays feel like they can't talk about the issues of race because they might sound racist. What's that all about? I also think TPATF shouldn't have to carry the weight of shedding Disney's insensitivity. I'm not a mother, but I can say when I become one I'm not going to rely on movies, books, t.v. or anything else to teach my child life lessons, that's my job. (Angelina should think about that.) They can be wonderful supplements to help teach values, but mostly they should be used them for entertainment purposes. At least that's how I feel. I want to know how other people feel about this.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » June 5th, 2008, 5:13 pm

Why should Jolie pick on Disney in particular? Because they're an easy target? Because they haven't cast her in any of their animated films?

Anyway, good points made by all. Disney is going to get criticized no matter what they do.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » June 6th, 2008, 6:56 am

I guess,she obviously don't know Disney and she doesn't know that there's also Jasmine,Pocahontas,Mulan and upcoming Tiana in this franchise.
Rosengeist-But still,there are many cultuers in Disney films and not just Princess films and there is Mulan again.
Angelina is an actress,not a mother who thinks that Madagascar is a Disney movie so she can know about Tiana,also she's a celebrity so anytime she says something it gets reported so she should have checked out before she that,she can always go to DisneyPrincess.com to find out that there's more Princesses exept Snow White,Cinderella,Belle and Aurora.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rosengeist » June 9th, 2008, 9:36 pm

Once upon a dream - the chances are that Angelina Jolie, though she has done some animated projects probably doesn't know all that much about upcoming animated films, most people I know aren't aware that there is going to be a black princess. I'm well aware that Disney has been showing a greater variety of diverse cultures in there films recently, I have been very interested in animation for a long, long time and I am well aware of the number of non-white characters and cultures presented in their films.

I don't think it's fair to say "well Disney gave us Mulan, Esmeralda, Pocahontas, Jasmine and Tiana, so stop complaining about ethnic diversity". Making a few heroines from different cultures doesn't mean that audiances should feel placated. I don't have any issue with Disney doing more films that have primarily white characters, I just am saying I would like to see an even greater array of cultural and ethnic diversity in their films. Even from a storytelling and artistic perspective, I think a Euro-centric perspective can get dull after a while.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Viscountesstiara » July 29th, 2008, 11:11 pm

a very cute trailer. I'm so excited. Saw it on the ultimate disney site
http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/princessandthefrog/
Patiently waiting for "The Princess and the Frog."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 29th, 2008, 11:35 pm

Awesome!! Didn't think we'd actually see anything from this so soon.

Thanks for posting! ^___^