The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 9th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Yea, same here. I hate it when stuff I really want to buy is just sitting on a cart in our back room. Just sitting there... Like a tease...

I hate getting those super-early shipments.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 9th, 2010, 11:56 pm

Just an FYI, some Best Buy's already have it out... Best Buy breaking street date, nothing new.
Foxtale wrote:So far all I can find is Toys R Us is give you a box.... :P
A box? A box of what?

So far I know Best Buy is offering an Essential Guide Book. One of those little Golden books it looks like. And Target is offering an exclusive princess coin purse. That's actually pretty cool, though would've preferred a character. Looks fancy and a perfect gift for the mom!

I'll probably buy from Target then, unless another cool offer pops up. I am shocked there isn't a free plushie offer! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 10th, 2010, 10:31 pm

It's a "COllectible Jewelry Box" The image on the hand out flyers kind of looks like a purple shoe box with a few images pasted to it... :(

I was hoping one would come with an extra DVD. I'm sad, I guess I'll just go for whoever has it the cheapest on release day. ;)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 16th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Without seeing a picture, there wasn't even one in the Sunday flyer, that doesn't sound too bad. Depends on the size and what images are used.

Anyone pick up there copy today? I haven't, probably will before weeks end. Shame there's no Steelbook for it at Best Buy. (maybe in time...)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 16th, 2010, 8:48 pm

Here's my full review of the movie and disc treatment:
http://animatedviews.com/2010/the-princ ... ombo-pack/

...and you can win a copy right here:
http://animatedviews.com/2010/win-the-p ... lu-raydvd/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 16th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Well, technically, I can't. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » March 17th, 2010, 2:38 pm

I agreed with absolutely every word of your review, Ben.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Princess and the Frog

Post by Vernadyn » March 17th, 2010, 3:02 pm

I actually found Randy Newman's songs, if not as strong as previous Disney songs, to be more memorable and effective than his underscore, which I found rather bland. Then again, I'm not a big fan of his instrumental movie music other than A Bug's Life and parts of Monsters, Inc. Only the tune from "Ma Belle Evangeline" plays a big part in the score itself, and most of it sounds like tuneless wandering. There's hardly a trace of the characteristic Randy Newman "bounce." After listening to the whole CD several times, "This Is Gonna Be Good" is the only score track I listen to now. But don't worry Mr. Newman. Your legacy as a songwriter and performer is assured.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 17th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Loved the reviews Ben.

Of course I had to get it yesterday when it came out and watch it as soon as I got home. I'm just a bit depressed that to get the special features and freebies you needed to get a blu ray disc. I'm still super excited about owning it though. :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 19th, 2010, 10:32 pm

I agree the Frog Hunters thing was very much in need of being cut. Matter of fact, it would made a great DVD short. "Tiana and Naveen's Big Bold Bayou Bonanza", perhaps?

My opinion of the film is that it's the best Disney film in 13 years, best since The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2010, 9:24 am

Yep...that would have made for a decent DVD short. :)

But the best for 13 years? Even if Lilo And Stitch wasn't as original as it was, I'd still say 1999's Tarzan takes a LOT of beating.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » March 22nd, 2010, 7:11 pm

FMM, Tarzan doesn't take enough beating. (I can remember when it came out, some of us were looking at early shots of Clayton the hunter, and joking "Heheheheh...Kind of outsmarted you, eh, little chum?" :mrgreen: )

Which Looney reference is my way of seguing into thinking that the PatF bayou hunters didn't really belong there either (but would have made a nice bonus short):
The story was basically ad-libbed off a couple pages in E.D. Baker's book (the book story is set in a fairytale kingdom, so the pair hop through a swamp, but meet magical creatures)--So when somebody pinned up a story note for "Swamp hunters"...there are two or three story animators who routinely turn their Disney animation into Warner-Looney tributes, and whoever deliberately set out to turn them into Pa & Junyer Bear, at least it wasn't Eric Goldberg, this time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 22nd, 2010, 7:59 pm

Loved Tarzan. Frog just had better music. That's all.

And if you think Tarzan gets a beating, look at Hunchback of Notre Dame reviews...
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 19th, 2019, 4:51 pm

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is having a special screening of the film to commemorate its 10th anniversary! Will have members of the cast and crew as guests. Pretty cool!

Hard to believe it has been 10 years! Where does the time go...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 19th, 2019, 8:25 pm

I know right! It feels like yesterday; I actually saw it twice in theaters. :). Great both times.

It definitely wasn’t a perfect movie (storytelling was a bit shaky plus I really think Tiana should have been a little better developed; it always kind of puzzled me how little attention was given to her having lost her dad) but it had some really great stuff too! :). I still LOVE “Friends on the Other Side”; scary and incredibly fun number! (Very Friend-Like-Me reminiscent ;), in a way.) Glad the film is finally getting some kind of recognition. (It DID get a BAF nom, right? I think Up won that year? Gosh it’s been so long I can’t even remember.)

Honestly it still kind of shocks me that for about three years before the film came out (I think) all we heard from Disney was that Lasetter was Walt 2.0 personified and Princess was just the beginning of a Renaissance of classically animated/2d feature films that would harken back to not only the the best 90s features, but even the ones from Walt’s day.

And where exactly did THAT plan go??? Relegated to brand-spanking-new Disney’s dustbin of abandoned ideas. :roll: I know it’s because Princess wasn’t the blockbuster they’d hoped for but seriously??? It still did well and there was NO reason to just leave 2d out to dry like that (I know, Pooh was released theatrically but IIRC it wasn’t to very much fanfare, although I might not be remembering correctly, so bear with me, um, no pun intended. I THINK it turned out some kind of profit, but it obviously wasn’t enough.)

Frozen was wonderful (I think 2 will be as well), but can you imagine how stunning it would have been as the traditionally animated “Snow Queen”, which had been in the works for so long??

I realize that Disney is a mega-mega-mega-mega-MEGA powerful billion dollar company that needs to turn a rather substantial profit. I just wish they’d stuck to their guns, is all. :(
Last edited by ShyViolet on August 20th, 2019, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!