The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » June 20th, 2009, 1:01 am

Today I went to see UP for the second time, and got to see the trailer for this on the big screen.

Yeah, I've seen the trailer a gazillion times already, but something about seeing it on the big screen just made me feel all giddy! That same giddy feeling I had as a little girl when I first saw trailers for The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and others on the big screen.

Thank you Disney, for allowing me to recapture my childhood for a few moments. I'm even more excited to see this film now! ^___^

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EHH123 » June 23rd, 2009, 12:14 pm

http://www.awntv.com/videos/the-princes ... featurette
I haven't heard the audio but it looks promising.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 23rd, 2009, 2:27 pm

I thought despite the 2D look, it would mostly be done on computers, so it's nice to see them using the classic pencil-and-paper style.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » June 23rd, 2009, 3:10 pm

estefan wrote:I thought despite the 2D look, it would mostly be done on computers, so it's nice to see them using the classic pencil-and-paper style.
I'm happy about that too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 30th, 2009, 7:09 am

Have any of you seen the little behind-the-scenes featurettes that were on Disney Channel recently? There was quite a lot of new footage, including an almost entire scene where Tiana turns into the frog.

Intro

Interview with the directors

Introducing the Characters

A look at the music

A look at Prince Naveen

An exclusive scene from the film!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » June 30th, 2009, 10:19 am

Yup, recorded Princess Protection Program and then fast-forwarded to all of these!
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » July 26th, 2009, 9:45 pm

*gasps* so much new footage at one time. Man this movie looks so neat. I'm thrilled. I like the characters as well... all except for the Firefly. I have this feeling I'm going to dislike that character even when the movie comes out. I'm glad I got to see these clips, the internet is so wonderful sometimes ;) THanks for sharing
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » August 3rd, 2009, 2:32 pm

I've been watching the trailer again and again, and it STILL gives me goosebumps with how epic it looks!

I'm having such a tough time getting the visuals out of my head - this cartoon looks truly inspired.

They've gone through so much trouble to make this look and feel like a 'classic' Disney cartoon, and so far, I'm completely sold.

With the current environment absolutely saturated with these newfangled CGI flicks, I hope that for everyone's sakes that The Princess and the Frog is a true breath of fresh air that'll restore faith in Disney for those who may have forgotten what the magic is like.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Locall » August 12th, 2009, 5:15 am

I've found a scene of young Tiana and her friend playing on youtube here it is

SPOILER!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 12th, 2009, 7:56 pm

Thanks for the video Locall. Great find. Any idea where it is from, as the picture quality indicates it wasn't captured off a home camera or dodgy mobile phone.
I didn't know John Goodman was providing 2 voices - one of dad and the other of the alligator. Or is John Goodman not doing the alligator? Or that's not John Goodman being the voice of Dad? Or maybe the alligator and Dad are the same person? Or maybe I should just stop with all my Ors?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2009, 8:13 pm

I checked this earlier on to make sure it wasn't a clear copyright infringement (in case we needed to remove the link).

But as you say, the clear quality and the fact that the clip has been obviously picked for a showcasing purpose due to the fade in and outs on the top and tail, and this certainly appears to be something legit, even if it has been leaked early in some way.

Or it could simply be Disney going the viral route, starting to leak such footage so as to build up anticipation. Given that The Mouse would have this instantly removed from YouTube if it was a breach of copyright makes me think we didn't need to remove the link here.

It's very nicely animated, if packed with a little too much "bounce". So often when other Studios wish to emulate the Disney style, they add a little too much swish and bounce, and I was getting that feeling a little here.

On your voice question:
Could it be that Goodman is voicing two characters Captain Hook style? And does that imply that certain story elements could be imaginary dreams?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 13th, 2009, 12:11 am

Not sure if it's been posted here yet, but has anyone seen the collection of rough animation from Disney's facebook page? Some very cool stuff in it, though I'm not big on the Tiana frog design at all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Locall » August 13th, 2009, 4:27 am

Bill1978 wrote: Thanks for the video Locall. Great find. Any idea where it is from, as the picture quality indicates it wasn't captured off a home camera or dodgy mobile phone.
I don't know, I was showing the rough animation footage to a friend of mine and then I saw this @ the quick links, I love it, the little girls are so cute! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » August 13th, 2009, 3:19 pm

Ben wrote:It's very nicely animated, if packed with a little too much "bounce". So often when other Studios wish to emulate the Disney style, they add a little too much swish and bounce, and I was getting that feeling a little here.

On your voice question:
Could it be that Goodman is voicing two characters Captain Hook style? And does that imply that certain story elements could be imaginary dreams?
I thought it was beautifully animated, only Eudora looks odd to me. Almost flat and disproportianate, especially when she steps onto the chair.

John Goodman is the voice of Big Daddy LeBouff. Michael-Leon Wooley is the voice of Louie the alligator.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » August 14th, 2009, 1:22 pm

Rough animation footage? I'm not sure if I have seen that or not. Where might that be found? *edit* Oh I think I just found some.

The other day I got to see a few actual hand drawn pages from the production in person. One of the producers at the studio I intern for got them as a gift. :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]