Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 26th, 2007, 8:41 am

Thanks Vi :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 26th, 2007, 2:50 pm

GEEZE! Menken is great and everything but he doesn't need to write the music to EVERY Disney musical! Those people need to get over it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 27th, 2007, 4:57 am

Maybe so, but its like their hurting anyone.

Anyway, I signed the petition as well! :) I doubt anything will happen, but its nice to at least be supportive.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » March 27th, 2007, 5:14 am

This is the kind of petition that decredibilize fandom. Just as stupid as the CraignotBond.com when Daniel Craig was announced to be the new James Bond. We saw what happened...
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 28th, 2007, 3:36 am

Heh, I was actually a supporter. Not because we share the same name, but he didn't look all that bad for the part.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 28th, 2007, 5:05 pm

I thought Craig was awesome. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 28th, 2007, 8:05 pm

I never understood the controversy surrounding craig,
He's the closest thing to sean connery we've got.
Does pierce brosnan resemble sean in the slightes way...I don't think so

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 28th, 2007, 8:22 pm

I never even knew there was a controversy about him.....:wink:

I personally think he's way better than Pierce. (no offense Pierce! :) )

BTW, anyone ever see that hilarious Halloween Simpsons ep when Pierce Brosnan guest starred and played a murderous HAL-9000 version of their new robotic house?

Classic!!! :lol:

(Matthew Perry house: "Uh, yeah, can I BE anymore of a house?")

:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 30th, 2007, 6:19 am

DAVIS: “Do you remember the kinds of stuff that they made for us, for kids, in the oldie old days? Let’s see, the first animation, of course, was Disney’s Minnie Mouse and… Daisy Duck, who didn’t really do much at all, except ask to go shopping, I think. There were a lot of Hanna-Barbera cartoons — Magilla Gorilla, Wally Gator, George of the Jungle — virtually no female characters. I had a vague recollection that Yogi Bear had a girlfriend, and I searched and searched, and I finally found her, Cindy Bear, as you all remember…”

“…On the Looney Tunes website, they list twelve characters, and only one of them is female, but it’s the great one. It’s the one you all love and remember the best: Granny. She’s the one who owns Tweety, and she has to leave so that the story can happen.”

Sorry, don't mean to get too off-topic and even though I like Geena Davis what she said about cartoons is so ridiculous!!! :roll:

If she even actually watched television at all, she would know that almost all the cartoons she mentioned are no longer being shown regularaly at all!!! :( :( :(

Cartoon Network dumped Loony Toons a long time ago. We all know that Disney and Toon Disney are for everything except showing classic Walt Disney shorts. You have to BUY THEM ON DVD's now--maybe that's easy if you're in Hollywood, but I assume she's talking about what little kids are explosed to regularly on TV.

Which, unfortunately, is none of what she mentions above. (Almost) all they have now on CN and Toon Diz and Nick is the ultra-femenist politically correct crud she's trying to push. Hence, classic toons have gotten the bum's rush. Oh, and of course the painful and regular injections of poorly produced Anime....:( (funny how she doesn't even mention Anime--not the better films that have heroic female characters with positive roles, or the stuff that's mostly seen by kids, meaning degrading, stereotypical, sexist, insulting images of girls and women)

I'm sure she has good intentions, but she's apparently still living in 1960 as far as what's shown on TV goes. If she were better informed than she'd talk about the far worse stereotyping that goes on in a lot of the Anime stuff that is shown on TV here.

(not all Anime, but a lot of what gets shown on CN, etc...)

Here's the CN toon schedule:

http://schedule.cartoonnetwork.com/xmlS ... inSchedule

Tom and Jerry--shown only once a day--is the only classic toon there.

The Nick Schedule: (try not to look DIRECTLY at it.)

http://www.nick.com/

The Toon Disney schedule:

http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/disney/gr ... er_id=toon

(Well, at least they are showing Tale Spin and Rescue Rangers again. :) )

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » April 2nd, 2007, 6:50 am

I've found something interesting - but it could mean absolutely nothing. Lately, I've noticed that IMDB, although not always correct, has still been ahead of the game when it comes to animation directors. Over the past couple of months, from Brad Raymond directing Tinker Bell to Chris Williams helming American Dog, the site has correctly listed numerous directors' latest projects weeks before official announcements were made.

Now, we all know that Ron Clements and John Musker are both credited as the directors of The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules and Treasure Planet. Likewise, it was assumed that the duo would direct The Frog Princess together. With that said, the IMDB no longer lists Musker as directing the picture. Instead, it only provides a writing credit for him.

Again, the IMDB could be wrong. And even if it isn't, Musker may still be heavily involved in Frog Princess, just with a different title or two.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 2nd, 2007, 12:44 pm

Yeah, that is a bit weird....:?

Also, I thought this was an interesting post from an IMDB user on that forum: :) ("Beauty Is Forever")
As I said in another post. Why did Disney set this movie in that time period? The 1920's were the height of the Jim Crow era; therefore, Blacks were treated atrociously. We weren't trying to kiss a damn Frog Prince and live happily ever after. We were being terrorized and murdered by the Klu Klux Klan and the Citizen's Council. This is a poor and pathetic portrayal of who we are as a people. Our African ancestors ruled over great civilizations such as Kush and Egypt. Why not portray us at our greatest height instead of stereotyping us as being poor and of lower stature as humans?

And on a side note. Disney should really study American history more. The 1920’s were the age of the flappers and the birth of Jazz and Swing music. Black women, including those in servitude wore their hair pressed, not in Afros.

And Jim Crow laws also prohibited Blacks and Whites from interacting with each other romantically and strictly forbid marriage between the two groups. Come on Disney you gotta do better.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 2nd, 2007, 12:53 pm

About John Musker--also pure theory-- of the duo, he's supposed to be the more outspoken, prickly, :wink:, more satirical one, with a more "biting" sense of humor than Ron. :) (who's definetely the quieter one.)

Taking into consideration the recent changes in management as well as what's gone on behind-the-scenes with this film's backdrop/music getting an overhaul, well...could John M have possibly been demoted from director because of clashes with upper management?

Like what Josh said, this could mean absolutely nothing, maybe it's just a matter of convenience, etc....

Just my theory, based on what we're hearing.....:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 2nd, 2007, 11:55 pm

This is interesting as well: :)
by jowa504 1 day ago (Sun Apr 1 2007 19:46:03 ) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having been born and raised in New Orleans, I like to think I know a little bit about the history of my city. And here it goes:
While there was/is certainly racism and segregation due to Jim Crow during the 1920s, New Orleans, especially with respect to Creoles, was always at least a little more tolerant and integrated than the rest of the South was/is. Typical New Orleans culture is built upon the influence of lots of different cultures that melted together here-in particular the Creole (there were lots of well to do creoles btw)/Black culture. Though Spike Lee's "When the Levees Broke" documentary was awful due to many different reasons, it does do a good job (better than me) at explaining this phenomenon. So I'm not pulling this out of my a**.

"That's why I stated that they should portray us at our greatest moment, not at one of our weakest which were the 1920's."
I disagree that the 1920s was the weakest moment. Remember, the 1920s are often called "the Jazz Age." Jazz that was created in inner city New Orleans during this time by people such as Louis Armstrong. All New Orleanians (particularly black New Orleanians)are fiercely proud of the fact that New Orleans is the birthplace of jazz and became such a huge and important part of our (our being New Orleans and American) culture. If the movie takes that approach, which I strongly think it will, the movie will tell a great and powerful story about the struggle of blacks in the south and how through their music they were still able to create something revolutionary and wonderful.

Why do I think they are taking the jazz route? Well, in an article on CNN (I don't have the link but just look up Frog Princess on google), it mentioned that Randy Newman and the Dirty Dozen Brass band played some songs from the score during the press release. For those that don't know, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band is a popular and rockin jazz band from here. Look em up if you like that kind of music. In addition, I also read that Jennifer Hudson is a finalist for Maddy's voice and Alicia Keyes specifically requested to be considered. Both are singers...is Maddy going to be the next Ella Fitzgerald?? I don't know how they are going to tie in the traditional story of the Frog Prince with this but I'm sure Disney will manage. The story of a poor black girl in 1920's New Orleans who finds herself in the new jazz music...something like that. I wouldn't discount this movie before we know more of where the plot is going.
African princess
by BrownAngel (Thu Mar 22 2007 21:39:30 ) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

UPDATED Thu Mar 22 2007 21:41:19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always thought that the first Black princess or fairytale would be set in Africa not in the US. I was kinda surprised it was set in New orleans. I think an African princess or fairytale would be better. Africa has never really been touched upon so it would be something new to audiences and there's so much diversity there and not to mention alot of fairytales from Africa that Disney could have made a movie about. I wonder why they didn't want to go that route... I don't understand why not?? I know I would love to see it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 3rd, 2007, 2:35 pm

I always thought that the first Black princess or fairytale would be set in Africa not in the US. I was kinda surprised it was set in New orleans. I think an African princess or fairytale would be better. Africa has never really been touched upon so it would be something new to audiences and there's so much diversity there and not to mention alot of fairytales from Africa that Disney could have made a movie about. I wonder why they didn't want to go that route... I don't understand why not?? I know I would love to see it.
Oooh, I'd love to see something like that...There are so many different cultures and stories to share. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 3rd, 2007, 11:31 pm

Yeah, that would be just awesome. :)