The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 30th, 2010, 8:13 pm

I can't wait for the DVD release here, but that might first be at the end of summer!

Anyway, now they are worried about salmonella after kissing frogs for real according to a paper :D !

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » January 31st, 2010, 12:54 pm

Big news: The Princess and the Frog is now the first hand-drawn animated film since Lilo & Stitch to make over $100 million domestically. It's ridiculous that Alvin and the Chipmunks has grossed more than half of that (showing that audience tastes are definitely not like they were over a decade or so ago), but it's a nice triumph for this sort of film in such a computer-animation filled era.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 31st, 2010, 1:23 pm

Alvin made its money on a release date and being available, P&tF made its money, FWIW, on word of mouth and audience support.
There's a difference, and you find out what it is a year or two from now. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 31st, 2010, 7:19 pm

There's nothing wrong with enjoying both movies. :idea:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 1st, 2010, 12:01 am

...Just so long as they're not both in the same cineplex at the same time. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » February 11th, 2010, 1:55 pm

I just came in to say I read Ben's review and agreed with almost every single thing! I couldn't believe it!

Tiana really worked too hard. And she wasn't as fun as the other characters. She's actually now a princess I don't really like, but it's because I believe more in having fun than working so much.

But there was something I really disagreed with, and that was saying that the movie was as good as Hunchback or Hercules, or any of the others he said it was good as. The Princess and the Frog feels very different from them. I would say that The Princess and the Frog feels more like not quite as good as those but way better than the ones after those. But seriously, Hunchback was like a sophisticated genius thing...and pretty much all those films it was listed with tried to be, actually. Most had better music, for one!

And I like the new forum, you did a great job, it's all cool and has more features and is now probably the coolest way of foruming I've ever forumed in!
Last edited by Dusterian on February 12th, 2010, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 11th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Might want to look at the name part of the review again. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 11th, 2010, 4:35 pm

Note that I didn't say it was better than those films. With recent Disney traditional animation, you have three periods to compare to: the 1989-1994 golden age, the 1995-1999 not quite as golden but still good stage, then the 2000-2004 period where there were a couple of gems but for the most part things weren't that great. If you had to place PatF in one of those eras then I think it very much belongs to the 1995-1999 period.

BTW - glad to see a fellow Hunchback fan! One of my top 5 favorite Disney animated films -- a large part due to the score. I bought that soundtrack on cassette tape in 1995 because I wanted to listen to it in my car. While on my way home but before the first side was over I had pulled over to a different store to buy the CD!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » February 12th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Oh, whoops...why didn't Ben write the review for the biggest picture in so many years for Disney?

It was a good review I agreed with but I would think the head of the site would comment officially, too.

I know you didn't say it was better, but I still don't think it was as good. I forgot to mention that the thin plot and rushed feeling also marred the picture and made it different than the 1995-1999 period.

But yes, I love Hunchback! All my top favorite films are the more magical ones, usually fairy tales, but Hunchback would be right after them, not sure if Hercules would go before it or not. I'm also wondering about Bambi and Fantasia... But it's just so darn good, Hunchback! It really was more mature and genius and so haunting and emotional and dramatic and well-done except for the maybe gargoyles, and those weren't even as bad as everyone says, I never minded them, I liked them. But why did you buy a cassette? Your car didn't have a CD player? Must be... Anyway, I thnk that's the best Menken score ever. He's back for Rapunzel, yay!
Last edited by Dusterian on February 13th, 2010, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Princess and the Frog

Post by Whippet Angel » February 12th, 2010, 4:28 pm

Oh, whoops...why didn't Ben write the review for the biggest picture in so many years for Disney?

It was a good review I agreed with but I would think the had of the site would comment officially, too.
I imagine it's because at the time the film hadn't yet been released in the UK (and wouldn't be for several months).
Last edited by Whippet Angel on February 12th, 2010, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 12th, 2010, 6:04 pm

Still waiting to catch this film, ironic that I was in America due the best time for me to catch in Australia and every cinema I checked out in the US the movie was on at the wrong time for my schedule - maybe it's a sign I'm not to see it. Especially since rain prevented me from meeting Tiana and Naveen at Disneyland.

Pleased that it got 3 nominations at the Oscars, but I don't think it will win anything. It's best chance is in the song category but I think they are going to give the golden man to Crazy Heart. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm also pleased that TPaTF got 3 Annie Awards and got more than Up. Even if Up got the big prize of picture.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 13th, 2010, 12:29 am

Dusterian wrote:Oh, whoops...why didn't Ben write the review for the biggest picture in so many years for Disney?

It was a good review I agreed with but I would think the had of the site would comment officially, too.
We're all official! ;)

I usually write the theatrical reviews while Ben, Randall, and Rodney tackle the disc reviews.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » February 13th, 2010, 11:21 am

Oh yes I know you're all official. I meant to write the "head" of the site.

But now I understand, and remember you have written a lot of the theatrical reviews I've read. But he reviewed Enchanted so I guess I was thinking of that. Maybe Disney animation is usually released on other countries later than their live-action films are released there.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 13th, 2010, 11:49 am

For the record, James does all the tech and design work for the site (with others giving some input), and is intimately involved in planning its direction. He's as much the "head" as Ben, though Ben is more the public face of the site.

(I'm kind of like the junior executive. ;) )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » February 15th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Oh, I see then. So two head guys, cool. So that was a really good review and one I agreed with, I guess I'll later see what Ben thinks on the Blu-ray review.