The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 7th, 2009, 12:07 am

If you're getting the new Snow White DVD or Blu ray set, just wait to see the preview there.

(Heck, I'll probably still skip the preview. I'd much rather leave more surprises for the actual premiere date. This is the first Disney film I've wanted to see in quite a while...)

I hate waiting for media to load in players... that and the resolution/playback will be much better on disc for many people.

(I don't bother with hi-res myself for QuickTime. My computer just isn't fast enough to handle it and it takes appreciably longer for hi-res to stream or download.)

It's just a pain to watch a film that way. I'd much rather pay for the physical media than be dependent on servers streaming video. They don't do that reliably enough on broadband as it is. It's also a fact that most service providers are putting caps on uploads/downloads as things stand... You can thank the home video and audio pirates worldwide for that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 7th, 2009, 2:54 am

Well I'm glad that I got to see the first 5 minutes while it was up since I have no desire to purchase Snow White on BluRay when it gets released it Australia, and God knows if we would have got the sneak peek anyway.

It looks very promising, my only complaint is that it
apparently doesn;t start with a big song and dance number. I was hoping it was, I love the way that Beauty And The Beast set itself up to be a Broadway musical from the get go, actually now that I've typed it the first few minutes of that wasn't a song and dance was it?
maybe there is a chance I'll get my wish.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » October 7th, 2009, 8:06 am

I also thought it was interesting how they're not starting with a big musical number and instead focusing on dialogue-driven character development for the first scenes.

I'm guessing the first musical number will be "Down in New Orleans" when we flash-forward to adult Tiana.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 7th, 2009, 10:15 am

I was thrilled with the sneak peek...maybe not so much with Ron and John's somewhat "please like us" intro, but while I was waiting for the typical song and dance, I thought "hey, they're going in a totally different direction with this", which I very much liked. It seems they have returned to what matters most...the characters, and that's what's important.

And...oh my goodness...how great it is to see proper hand-drawn animation again. For all the wonders of CGI, there is <I>nothing</I> like the handmade, human touched feel of traditional animation, nor the warmth in the images, something that CG still leaves me cold with compared to this kind of material.

I just hope the rest of the movie lives up to being a Disney production as opposed to the slight 1990s-Disney rip-off vibe that I keep getting from the montage trailer (also included on the SW Blu-ray and DVD).

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 19th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Walt Disney Records' page for the Princess and the Frog soundtrack offers samples of the film's songs. Meanwhile, Ne-Yo's "Never Knew I Needed" is now receiving radio airplay. It's such a beautiful song, I wish it were actually in the movie, performed as a traditional duet.

As for the other songs, I love most of them, though I'm not crazy about Ray's songs. Still, I think Ray is a character who I'm going to appreciate more than I originally thought. Last weekend, I accidentally stumbled upon a rather surprising plot point involving him. It's something that takes his character from being the standard tag-along comic relief to actually being an important part of the movie. I don't want spoil the scene for anyone. But truth be told, the spoiler is suggested in the film's soundtrack listing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EHH123 » October 21st, 2009, 11:08 am

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/interv ... mages-8310
Ron Clements and John Musker go in-depth into new animation techniques and inspirations for the film.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 21st, 2009, 3:30 pm

Thanks for posting that interview! I had no idea the film was originally explored as a computer-animated film by Pixar.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 21st, 2009, 4:21 pm

Fantastic interview, EHH! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » October 26th, 2009, 1:38 pm

I am LOVING Dr Facilier!! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » October 26th, 2009, 7:43 pm

This film really looks like one of Disney's older classic films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » October 26th, 2009, 8:43 pm

I think that's supposed to be the point. Disney lost their way a few years ago and this is John Lasseter attempting to get them back on track. I hope it works because, visually if nothing else, this is the kind of film they ought to be producing.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » October 27th, 2009, 1:30 am

love Facilier, at some points i see a bit of Jafar in him... or is that just me :P

Hopefully its just this video quality but it seemed a bit fast and shaky. :P

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see it! We almost only have a month left to go. :D

*EDIT* (to not double post) I was in Target today and they had a bunch of merchandise in the the store. I skimmed through the books. That might have been a bad idea >.> I basically know the general plot for the entire movie (trust me, it is kind of obvious). Also I saw a HUGE package that had all the disney princesses for sale. Right in the middle of the package surrounded by a halo was Tiana in her green wedding dress (to match the other princesses, who wants two blue dresses).
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » October 31st, 2009, 1:20 am

Sorry to double post, new topic.

Some new behind the scenes looks were released on the Disney website. This is one of them. :D A deeper look at Tiana.

*** Also are tickets sold out for the limited release at the Zigfield Theatre?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » October 31st, 2009, 10:22 am

Wow! The animation and everything looks brilliant! She is a very interesting character! Might have to draw her sometime.
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 1st, 2009, 8:52 pm

*bounces up and down* Sooo I totally splurged and got tickets for 11/27. ^.^

Anyone else going to see it early?