The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 23rd, 2007, 3:00 am

I was going with the trad anim analogy there Vi! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 23rd, 2007, 3:29 am

ShyViolet wrote:My solution: Give November 2009 to Princess, December to Christmas Carol...
Isn't that what they're trying to avoid?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 7th, 2007, 9:09 pm

True, I guess I thought as long as they get released in different months they could "share" the holidays. Complicated issue, though.

On another note, I found this comment on IMDB. :)

by usagi_chan77

Roy Disney did a lecture at my school, University of Hawaii at Manoa, and talked briefly about this film. He said it will be 2D (with some elements of 3D animation), features Disney's first African American "princess", and that it will be out in 2009. He seemed really enthusiastic about it! i hope its good!!!
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » August 12th, 2007, 5:08 am

Jeroen wrote:I'm thinking musical, Newman already did a musical in the past with James and the giant peach.
He also wrote the songs for "Cats Don't Dance" and the music for it was great!

I'll be disappointed if Disney released "The Princess and the Frog" in March of 2010. If they really want to give 2D a chance to thrive again, they need to give it special treatment. I'd also like to see the parks with film-related attractions and merchandise during the peak holiday season. I just think its a waste to move it for something like "The Christmas Carol". Can't they sit on it til December 2010, and release Toy Story 3 in the summer?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2007, 6:20 am

Well, that would be the sensible thing to do, unless "the powers that be" don't actually want this to be a hit.

One things for sure: John and Ron have their work cut out in many more ways than one...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 13th, 2007, 12:14 pm

I totally sympathize with them. :(

They must REALLY be feeling the pressure--like "last chance for classic 2d/last chance for Disney/last chance for WDAS"
....Reminds me a LOT of what the Chicken Little crew must have gone through when they were making that film: "Last chance for Disney/Last chance to show they can do it without Pixar/first CGI Disney movie ever!" (not counting Dinosaur of course. :wink:)

At least Pixar is also (technically) under pressure to make this film a hit....of course, like Ben said, maybe there's things that haven't been said out loud. :? Let's just say, the worse TPATF does, the better "Up" will look to critics....:roll:

But then, it was JL who restructured this film, JL who axed Alan Menken and put Randy Newman on instead. It's his decisions and no matter how spectacularly WAL-E, UP, or Toy Story 3 do, JL will still have to answer for TPATF. (And Bolt as well IMHO.)

Unless, of course, critics rationalize it by saying: "Disney was in such a bad state when the Pixar guys came, I guess even THEY couldn't save the place....." :roll: :roll: Lame excuse.

I also think the worst thing must be the MIXED MESSAGES that Ron and John get from management--Make this film a hit or else, but you won't get any support from us when it comes to release date and promotion/marketing....(???) It just makes no sense at all. At least with Chicken Little Disney Marketing busted their hump to make the film a hit....:roll: (Heck, it was Michael Eisner's last sentence in his going-away letter: "Good luck, and go see Chicken Little." :P)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 19th, 2007, 10:46 am

I agree that Bolt is a now a JL responsibility too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by veu » August 20th, 2007, 11:31 am

In August 10, 2007 a casting call wrote this:

THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG
Feature Film
Animated
UNION

Director: John Musker
Director: Ron Clements
Producer: Peter Del Vecho
Composer: Randy Newman
Casting Director: Curtis Koller
Interview Dates: now - Fall 2007
Shoot/Start Date: Fall 2007
Pay Rate: TBA

[ PRINCE NAVEEN (VOICE OVER) ]
Specs:
-play an early 20's male
-capable of being a romantic lead
-gregarious, fun loving, free spirited
-always likable, even when being irresponsible
-show passion for Jazz and zest for life
-an invented accent that has the romantic suavity of Italian with a sprinkling of mid-east exoticism.
-accent must be believable & natural
-please do not let the level of the accent get in the way of the acting

So new Prince name will be Naveen and not Harry.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 21st, 2007, 12:01 am

Naveen? What a peculiar name.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 21st, 2007, 8:19 am

Could be a cover...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 10th, 2007, 8:12 am

Is it just me or the whole black Princess is just for PC? for me it's just nonsense,just becouse they don't have a black princess don't mean they are racist or something,what's next? the first fat Disney Princess? the first blind Disney Princess? i want a jewish princess,so? does it mean they need to make a movie about the first jewish Disney Princess? no,it's just nonsense.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » October 10th, 2007, 10:52 am

Um........ I don't think the fact that she's african-american has anything to do with trying to be PC. It's because it fits the film setting (New Orleans/jazz age).

An african-american female has never been the main focus of a Disney feature film, which is why many consider it to be such a big deal.

Besides, the whole "Disney Princess" franchise would benefit from a bit more diversity. It would be nice for little girls to have a Disney princess doll that shares their skin color. :wink:
Last edited by Whippet Angel on October 10th, 2007, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 10th, 2007, 11:08 am

Whippet Angel wrote:Um........ I don't think the fact that she's african-american has anything to do with trying to be PC. It's because it fits the film setting (New Orleans/jazz age).
Well,they are baiscly talking about the fact that she's the first black Disney Princess insted of talking about that Disney are back to 2-D animation.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » October 10th, 2007, 11:11 am

Probably because both are a really big deal. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 10th, 2007, 12:20 pm

Whippet Angel wrote:Probably because both are a really big deal. :wink:
Is the fact that the heronie is black is really a big deal? :?.