The Animated Views MIA: DVD Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lordcookie » February 4th, 2007, 3:30 pm

A few I'd like to see on DVD (and that didn't cost almost £100 to buy) would be:

An English subtitled release of Le Roi et L'oiseau
English subbed release of Cat City
Proper release of The Thief and the Cobbler (something I fear will never happen)
Flight of Dragons
R2 release of Hedgehog in the Fog (I love this film).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 14th, 2007, 7:20 am

A series that occurred to me while I was searching for a quote for the "Quote Game" thread, is 2 Stupid Dogs.

In addition to being just a plain-fun show to watch, with great recurring characters, multiple running gags, fun music, and (not least!) the show-within-the-show, Super-Secret Secret Squirrel .. there is real 'historical' importance to this series.

It virtually resurrected the Hanna-Barbera studio, not only with its widely-syndicated success across all of Turner's networks (except, perhaps for CNN :P ), but also its revolutionary (for the time) 'retro' styling, harking back to the bold, 'simple' designs of H-B's earliest shows.

2 Stupid Dogs was also the 'launching pad' of the careers of many who would become the most influential creators of TV animation in the decade to come: Donavan Cook, Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken, Miles Thompson, Paul Rudish, and Zac Moncrief. Even John Kricfalusi received a credit on the series' hilarious "Red Riding Hood" 'trilogy' (though, of course, John K was already enjoying tremendous contemporary success of his own, with Ren & Stimpy over at Nickelodeon).

I videotaped the entire 2SD series back in the early 1990's (which wasn't very difficult, since, as I said, it ran on nearly every Turner network, at the time). But it didn't occur to me, until today, that it's been a while since the show has been on the air. And my tapes are beginning to wear thin. :(

I'd love to see 2 Stupid Dogs get a proper DVD release, but Warner Bros. Home Video seems to have a pretty full 'slate' at the moment (including some other H-B series which I'd also like to see) .. so, who knows when, or if, that'll happen .. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 15th, 2007, 5:21 pm

That's the problem with most studios releasing animated shows on dvd. There's simply so much good stuff that it'll probably take at least 10 or 15 more years for everyone to release absolutely everything that's worth releasing.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 17th, 2007, 1:36 pm

If this show doesn't come out on DVD, I'm protesting! :(

(scroll down for the lyrics to the show--they're the funniest ever! :D
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... 4&ei=UTF-8
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » February 22nd, 2007, 6:41 pm

Aaaaah Freakazoid, good times good times :)
Still waiting for a tiny toons dvd release first!!!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Matt » March 10th, 2007, 1:32 pm

I love the site, but is the page ever gonna be updated?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2007, 4:07 pm

Yah. If you've been reading the front page you'll see that I promised an update this week.

I've been a little more busy with getting up some of the older archive reviews so this had to wait and I have a film heritage event on this weekend, but look out next week for me to add the further titles from here to the list.

It IS coming, but we can't do <I>everything</I> at once! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Matt » March 15th, 2007, 10:50 pm

Ben wrote:Yah. If you've been reading the front page you'll see that I promised an update this week.
Cool beans, I guess I kinda just read the headlines, and read the parts I'm interested in.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 16th, 2007, 9:38 am

This had to go on the back burner while some other issues came up.

The MIA-DVD section will be updated <I>next</I> week. We've been more busier than I thought bringing you new content, but this is the next thing on the radar...!! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 20th, 2007, 10:57 pm

Update, yay! ^___^

I tried to find a link on The Mouse and His Child (obscure 1977 film I mentioned earlier), but there doesn't seem to be much out there. Sadly, there are very few people left that know this film exists..... :( Although I did discover that someone has uploaded the entire film onto youtube (how awesome is that)!!!!!

Oh, and that made me think of another somewhat obscure film from 1977. The Raggedy Ann & Andy musical Adventure. I was never a huge fan of Raggedy Ann when I was a kid, but I really did like this movie. Good, story, cute songs, a piece of my childhood that I'd love to have captured on DVD :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 20th, 2007, 11:31 pm

Is that the one with the Blue Camel? Cause I'd love to see that one again. I had it taped as a kid, but when we moved to our new house the tape was lost. I remember it had great music (composed by none other than Joe Raposo, who also wrote the most memorable songs for Sesame Street up til the late 80s). It'd be nice to hear the music, if nothing else.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 20th, 2007, 11:55 pm

I've seen clips of the songs on youtube.
I always found that scene where they first meet the camel so sad (good song though)..........

Yeah, I also had that taped (as well as Mouse & Child). I can't find Raggedy Ann, and the mouse movie is dying (I've had it since around 1986).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 23rd, 2007, 5:56 am

Raggedy Ann had a laserdisc release. It was shot in 2.35:1 and though the LD crops the sides, it's actually been mastered wrongly and presents a 1.85:1 ratio in anamorphic!

I have a DVD conversion of the LD, but the film doesn't hold up that well. Still, we should see it on DVD especially since so many master animators worked on it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » April 25th, 2007, 1:29 am

I am hoping for Victor and Hugo: Bunglers in Crime. That used to be my favourite show on TV as a kid. "Hello Mr Not Not!"
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

They've been said before . . .

Post by brandonsc » April 25th, 2007, 6:21 am

But at the top of my list is

Jetsons: the Movie

I don't understand how it could be a character-rights issue holding this DVD up. After all, Warners also owns the character rights to "The Flinstones" but that didn't stop "The Flintsones" or "Viva Rock Vegas" from coming to DVD (also by Universal), or the rerelease of both of these films when Warners released the first season of the original cartoon DVD. I expected Universal would have released JTM when Warners released The Jetsons first season DVD but alas that did not happen- maybe when the next season (crosses fingers) comes to DVD?

Hey There It's Yogi Bear

Since "The Man Called Flintstone" was able to make it to DVD in Canada, why not HTIYB? WIth beautiful animation and backgrounds a step up from anything we saw in the cartoon, my VHS is rapidly giving up the ghost. Sure, I'll transfer it to DVD myself, but i want an OFFICIAL version that will look a lot better!

Rover Dangerfield

Probably one of the most underappriciated animated films . . . but that could be because the story was pretty bad. Still, turn off the sound and look at some of the most gorgeous traditional animation ever created.

Tiny Toons: How I Spent My Summer Vacation

What gives?! When DVDs were clearly the norm, Warners goes to the trouble of re-releasing this film on VHS only? Somebody fell asleep on that move.

I also haven't yet seen a post for:

Dexter's Lab: Ego Trip

Again , it was 1999. VHS was already going the way of the dinosaur and yet Warners releases this title EXCLUSIVELY to VHS! Grrrr.

Also, I'm not sure where this goes, but Balto and The Powerpuff Girls movie really need a widescreen release too.