The Animated Views MIA: DVD Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » April 8th, 2010, 8:41 am

So, does that mean Warner Brothers is pulling a Disney and not releasing the final volume of Animaniacs? Please say it's not true. :-(

I mean, they released all of the Pinky and the Brain episodes. Logically, they should finish the series they spun-off from.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 8th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Animaniacs was unfortunately called time on a while back. They were waiting to see how Pinky & The Brain, Tiny Toons and Freakazoid! sold before they went back to the Amblin well.

Sounds like they didn't do as well as they coulda/shoulda in order to pave the way for more of those (final Animaniacs, more Tiny Toons including the specials, Taz Mania and Hysteria!) to come to disc. :(

Not the first time WB have back-tracked on not finishing best laid plans due to low sales: Huckleberry Hound never got past Volume 1, the live-action Superboy didn't get to the better Season 2+ shows, and those masterful plans for Popeye (everything from the black and whites to Popeye And Son) were soon dropped after the Fleischer series didn't do too well (too overpriced) and we only just got the second and third volumes for those much-requested cartoons.

:(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » April 9th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Yeah, the Amblin box-sets were extremely over-priced. I was lucky enough to find the first two Animaniacs volumes for cheap prices in supermarket bargain bins. I think the other problem is that because it's been ages since they've aired these shows on television, the younger generation had no generation and just nostalgic gen-xers and animation fans aren't going to cut it.

Doesn't Spielberg have enough pull to get his shows out on DVD?