Disney brings back the cartoon short

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2008, 9:23 am

This time around, I'm going to say...let's keep this apart from the Disney shorts thread that Dan's pointing to above, at least for now. If it doesn't generate much conversation, I'll merge later on.

What was Giacchino's score like? I like his stuff, but he mishandled the Tom & Jerry short he scored and I was worried that he might not be able to capture the Mickey Mousing that these cartoons had, without over egging it.

I'm seeing Book Of Secrets or whatever the thing's called when it comes out here in the UK. I was going to sneak in only for the short, but I've heard the film is "fun" so will probably stick around!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 7th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Book of Secrets: not the greatest thing ever but I didn't regret having seen it.

Keep yours peeled when you watch the short. There's lots of Easter eggs in it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 7th, 2008, 5:41 pm

For Los Angeles-area A-N&V'ers .. the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood will be pairing How to Hook-Up Your Home Theatre with their upcoming engagement of 101 Dalmations (January 18th - January 30th). I'm kinda glad I'd 'passed' on National Treasure 2, now! :wink:

BTW, Enchanted is still playing there, through January 13th (this Sunday!) ..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 10th, 2008, 2:29 am

Now I get to see it a third time and pay even better attention this time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » February 9th, 2008, 4:12 am

Is this cartoon playing before National Treasure in the UK? Because I went to see NT yesterday more for the Goofy short than the film and was severely disappointed that it wasn't attached. Could someone please help?

Also, what was with the camera moving in from the RIGHT of the Disney castle rather than the LEFT in the disney logo?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 9th, 2008, 7:42 pm

No, I heard How to Hook-Up Your Home Theatre will instead be attached to The Game Plan. Real shame for you guys in the UK. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 10th, 2008, 8:14 am

Arrrrggghhhhh!!!!!

Yes, it's true...chernabog should ask for his money back if he went specifically to see the Goofy short.

I got told last week by my theater guy, who I'm quite pally with, that he didn't get the Goofy short on the front of NT2, so I skipped that and saw Sweeney Todd again.

Such a shame...I mean, <I>The Game Plan</I>???

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » February 11th, 2008, 9:56 am

The Game Plan isn't a bad movie. Of course, I have young daughters, so I could relate. It wasn't spectacular, but it was a good, family, Disney movie. And maybe a better choice to attach a good, family, Disney cartoon to. (I took my kids to see National Treasure: Book of Secrets mainly so they could see Goofy. The movie itself scared the youngest one pretty bad.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 11th, 2008, 6:25 pm

Re: Phil

Kinda makes one wonder why Disney made the '11th hour' switch from pairing the Goofy cartoon with Enchanted, to National Treasure 2. Enchanted was by far the better 'match', demographic-wise. :?

As it turned out, Enchanted didn't really need the Goofy short to be a box-office success .. but I think it's a mistake for Disney to look at its new shorts program strictly in terms of being box-office 'boosters'; that's the kind of attitude that helped squelch the Roger Rabbit short series, back when.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 12th, 2008, 2:20 am

It's because Kevin Lima didn't want the short showing with his film. And even though it wasn't a perfect demographic match with NT2 it's still fine with me because it's getting the short seen by some who might not otherwise see it. Every time I've seen it (and I've seen the Goofy short theatrically with three different movies . . . sort of [two officially]) everyone in attendance liked it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2008, 8:27 am

The ChubbChubbs went out theatrically with Stuart Little 2 <I>and</I> Men In Black II, at the same time.

I'd love for them to do a blanket sweep and shove these out with all of their appropriate movies in a given (one-month, two-month?) time frame.

The Roger shorts were seen as BO-boosters and then attached (after the first) to films that were not appropriate or destined for box-office greatness.

And if you end up seeing a film two or three times? Hey, it's only six minutes worth, and the likelihood of being able to grab them on DVD is fairly limited, so enjoy while you can! I highly doubt Goofy will show up on the NT2 disc.

And, while we're at it, I'd love to see the gaps where we have no new shorts in circulation plugged up with classic reissues. Disney and Warners both started doing that a lot in the 1990s, but as I understand it, it was the theaters that said they were squeezing out one more showing of the movie in effect.

Hum...the theaters not showing their audience respect by providing real value? So drop the commercials! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by numbattery » February 22nd, 2008, 5:09 pm

We're still waiting to see 'How to Hook up your home theater' in New Zealand. I was gearing up to watch it on NT2 but I found out that it hasn't been shown on NT2 or Game Plan. Dare I have to wait for... College Road Trip maybe?

Of course jealousy ensues, and this leaves 'How to' and 'Little Go Beep' two short films that I can't wait to see. Even if the latter can ONLY be achieved by going to the States and watching it online there.

Other short films I remember seeing include 'Roller Coaster Rabbit' on 'Toy Story' and 'Boat Builders' on 'Meet the Robinsons', while the Digital 3D version had that Chip n Dale cartoon. I'm sure 'Lambert the sheepish lion' was attatched to a film in the early 90's aswell...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by vveksuvarna » March 7th, 2008, 1:29 am

any online link for the unlucky ones who missed it in the theatres...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2008, 6:39 am

No, because that would be illegal.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by vveksuvarna » March 7th, 2008, 5:01 pm

aw shoot...i hope they let it out on any of the future dvdz...