Disney brings back the cartoon short

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 3rd, 2006, 7:03 pm

This is Great news! :D

Its about time, is all I can say. And what better way to start it, than with Goofy! As for ideas? Hmm... How about "How to Purchase a Tv". The ongoing joke could be a sales rept keeps showing Goofy dozens of models, which inturn makes him go bonkers. :lol:

Anyway, this is definetly a step in the right direction! keep it up Disney :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 3rd, 2006, 8:04 pm

That's the way it works Chris!

I went to Disney's in 1998 and presented them with an animated version of The Emperor's New Clothe. Don Hahn said it was the best version of that story he'd seen adapted for animation, loved our songs, which he said had "witty lyrics and wonderful melodies".

But...Disney were heading into "darker, more epic" films such as Atlantis and they were gearing up to start on their CG films starring with Dinosaur.

Flash forward and now classic Disney aniamated musicals are making a comeback...but Don Hahn has left... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 3rd, 2006, 8:39 pm

That's the way it works Chris!

I went to Disney's in 1998 and presented them with an animated version of The Emperor's New Clothe. Don Hahn said it was the best version of that story he'd seen adapted for animation, loved our songs, which he said had "witty lyrics and wonderful melodies".

But...Disney were heading into "darker, more epic" films such as Atlantis and they were gearing up to start on their CG films starring with Dinosaur.

Flash forward and now classic Disney aniamated musicals are making a comeback...but Don Hahn has left...
Oh wow Ben....that's such a shame that it didn't get made....that's so awesome how you met Don Hahn and he said that! I bet it would have made tons of money. I still hope it gets produced some day and we get to hear the songs!

(Just wondering, would you have wanted any specific "big names", or would you have preferred unknown actors?)

Oh well, their loss! :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 4th, 2006, 7:45 am

But Goofy in "How To...Install Your Home Theater"? YES! Smile
"That Goofy! What a genius!"

:P :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2006, 11:22 am

ShyViolet wrote:(Just wondering, would you have wanted any specific "big names", or would you have preferred unknown actors?)
Well, we had "types", so it would have been down to whatever voices they thought fit. We had some suggestions. The feeling was that if they were still making fairytale musicals it could have gotten through to a bit of development at least. I still hope something will happen with it some day, and would love to share the song demos down the line.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 9th, 2007, 3:46 am

Vi from another thread wrote:Sorry about that, I did a search but couldn't find the specific thread, so I stuck it onto this one. :oops: Thanks Dan! :)
No prob, at least you tried. :) Took me a while to find it, so I know your not fibbing.
Silly Vi again wrote:But hey, at least the article had Ron Miller! :P :wink:
Fangirl, huh? ;)

Anyway, the short is sounding really great thus far. Hope we get more info soon, or better yet, a new pic!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 15th, 2007, 5:47 pm

Anyway, the short is sounding really great thus far. Hope we get more info soon, or better yet, a new pic!

Yeah, totally Dan. :)

Yup, Ron Miller rules! :P :wink: J/K I actually really like reading about those "old days" with him in the early 80s. I still think it's a shame way he was "dispatched" so to speak. :?

Also, I think it was said before: Anyone notice how much he resembles Bob Iger?? :shock:

In other news, not sure, but "Les" on Animation Nation seems to think HTHYHT
will play in front of Enchanted! :) No confirmation yet, though.

Personally, I think they should save it for Bolt.

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=012623

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 15th, 2007, 9:34 pm

But that's so far away!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 15th, 2007, 9:37 pm

I know, but I just thought that it would fit better as Bolt is all-animation.
But then, Enchanted is (partially) traditionally animated, so it might be a better fit. :wink:

I'll definitely think that no matter what, we'll see it way before Bolt. I guess I was just speaking "theoretically." :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 16th, 2007, 7:37 am

Bob Iger/Ron Miller...actually, Iger resembles Miller, if you're going chronologically! And I mentioned it the first time Iger was shoved in the spotlight as a potential new CEO.

On Home Theater...it HAS to be Enchanted. They won't want to save it for a year, and it makes much more sense to put it on a bill with a traditionally animated opening because it will add to the whole "classic" feel and make the jump to live-action New York that much more jarring.

Where's the fun in saving it for Bolt? We should have another one for then anyway.

I think Disney want Enchanted to hit well - "hey, Iger brings back 2D, Eisner was wrong, hurray!" - and putting the anticipated Goofy short in place on the front will help to guarantee that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 24th, 2007, 3:28 pm

Cartoon Brew wrote:How To Hook Up Your Home Theater - They nailed it. Unlike other recent tries at reviving Disney classic characters via new shorts (think The Prince and the Pauper or Runaway Brain), the goal of this new film was not to reivent Goofy but to recapture the spirit of the Disney shorts of the late 40s, particularly the Jack Kinney classics like Hockey Homicide or a Goofy Gymnastics. They did it. It all felt right to me.

Though the film boasts the cream of the crop of current Disney animators (Deja, Henn, Baer, Goldberg, etc.), this isn't an animators film - it's a director's picture. Just as Tex Avery's cartoons are masterfully skewed through his twisted vision, here directors Kevin Deters and Stevie Wermers-Skelton (the first woman to direct a Disney cartoon!) take control, weaving numerous contempory gag situations into a refreshingly old school cartoon structure.

The red burlap opening titles are back. Michael Giacchino provides a perfect Oliver Wallace-styled musical score, and Corey Burton narrates with intonations falling somewhere between John McLeish and Frank Graham. Certain layouts are direct lifts from Motor Mania (Goofy's home) and How To Play Football (the football field). And there are literally dozens of gags - truly funny ones and several visual in-jokes for those looking extra hard - packed into the six and a half minute running time.

The bottom line: How To Hook Up Your Home Theater feels exactly like a contemporary 1949 Goofy cartoon - and I can't pay it any higher compliment than that. It's the perfect film to start the new shorts program with. A nod to the past as the studio looks to the future. I just hope the studio will promote it properly when it decides to release it later this fall.
Lucky, Jerry!

Good to know the Goofy short doesn't dissapoint. And its being released this fall? Yup, it gotta be attached to Enchanted! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 27th, 2007, 4:17 pm

Cartoon Brew wrote:How To Hook Up Your Home Theater - They nailed it. Unlike other recent tries at reviving Disney classic characters via new shorts (think The Prince and the Pauper or Runaway Brain)
Actually, was thinking more along the lines of those poseur TV-animation "House of Mouse" shorts they tried releasing into theaters back in the 90's, and which also had a preoccupation with imitating Goofy How-To's--
It was a little hard to get excited about "Home Theater", when all you can picture is "How to Haunt a House".
Good to know the Goofy short doesn't dissapoint. And its being released this fall? Yup, it gotta be attached to Enchanted! :)
(Oh, please tell me we're not going to get blind symbolic Enchanted-worship on this site, too!

Have you even seen the trailer?
Yeah, I'm convinced, the "Jive black bus-driver" gag's just going to jumpstart the 90's golden age singlehandedly! >_<

Oh, but it's got 2-D animated segments in it!--
Which...Disney didn't produce.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2007, 4:45 pm

Actually, was thinking more along the lines of those poseur TV-animation "House of Mouse" shorts they tried releasing into theaters back in the 90's, and which also had a preoccupation with imitating Goofy How-To's--

It has the MASTERS of animation like Eric Goldberg and Andreas Deja working on it. I'd say it'll be at least a little better than "House of Mouse." :P

(Oh, please tell me we're not going to get blind symbolic Enchanted-worship on this site, too!

Have you even seen the trailer?
Enchanted is a Disney film. As fans of Disney, we naturally are excited about it. I haven't seen the film itself, so I can't say how good or bad it is, but from the trailers it looks like it has at least some merit and that it's worth watching, that it's a throwback to the Golden Age Disney that all of us here miss so much.

Oh, but it's got 2-D animated segments in it!--
Which...Disney didn't produce.)

Nope, but James Baxter and his guys, despite working independently, are all esteemed and respected ex- Disney artists. James Baxter designed Belle and some of the greatest animated characters of all time. I'd say he's a pretty good representative of Golden Age Disney. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2007, 6:03 pm

K...judging by Eric's other posts I'd say he's got a chip on his shoulder or something.

Eric...play nice, respect others, and collect your info accordingly before you go accusing.

Violet has clarified many things: Baxter is as Disney as anyone: he left DreamWorks to get away from CGI and back to hand-drawn - good job, since Disney wouldn't have been able to include 2D in Enchanted if not. And it looks good, subversive fun.

On "How To Haunt A House" - that wasn't a standard House Of Mouse item. It was actually animated at Walt Disney Feature animation-Florida by the guys that made the Roger Rabbit shorts and features such as Lilo And Stitch. So...no cheap TV cartoon.

Can you calm down, respect other, longer involved members on this forum, and get your facts straight?

Or else you will be banned. I don't like your tone, sir, and am requesting friendlier discussion.

Thanks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 27th, 2007, 7:39 pm

Ben wrote: Eric...play nice, respect others, and collect your info accordingly before you go accusing.
Can you calm down, respect other, longer involved members on this forum, and get your facts straight?

Or else you will be banned. I don't like your tone, sir, and am requesting friendlier discussion.
(Sorry--My fanhood tends to get a bit "lively", but I'm in with everyone together. :oops:
And I'm not industry, so I tend to go with more intuitive trivia and hope to be corrected by said longer-involved members for further detail-clarification--It's word from the Experts that makes for better reading.

Besides, new here, and just trying to catch up with old threads--
As you can guess, used to hang around JHM, and wishful-thinking Enchanted-pedestaling was even more widespread there....If it's more rational over here, I apologize for the culture-shock adjustment.)