DC Universe Animated Original Movies

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 10th, 2009, 11:41 pm

I doubt it's an adaptation of "Flash of Two Worlds" unless that story is used as a context to bring in a crossover between the JLA and JSA.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the meeting of the Flashes is used as the springboard to the superteams team-up.

I'm betting it's a JLA/JSA crossover. Perhaps a nod back to the Earth-1/Earth-2 crossovers that started with Justice League of America (Vol. 1) #21-22.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_So ... ver_Age.29

(Although technically the first modern appearance of the Justice Society of America was in Flash Vol. 2 # 137.)

I've read the original crossover comics in reprints issued in the late 1980s and early 1990s. (Greatest Flash Stories Ever Told and Greatest Team-Up Stories Ever Told is where I first read these stories. I still have those collections.) Of course, they've been reprinted umpteen million times -- mostly recently in the Justice League of America Archives and the Crisis crossover trade paperbacks.

I'm hoping we get a true JLA/JSA crossover and not a lame substitute like that awful Justice Guild junk in the first season of Justice League.

It's nice to see peeks of the original JSA members -- Wildcat and Flash so far -- but I'd like to see the full team and NOT their modern-day replacements. I want the original JSA, not their kids and godchildren...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 12th, 2009, 1:32 am

I'm sure this will be as you say... the two Flashes meeting, followed by a JLA/JSA team-up. I'd be very surprised to see it happen any other way. If they can stay true to New Frontier, I'm sure they can do this tale right! It has the potential to be the ultimate DC animated movie. Fingers crossed!

I see that the Flash of Two Worlds hardcover shipped to me today. Cool. I'm certainly looking forward to it. I do have that Greatest Team-Up Stories book (it's pretty awesome, eh?), but I think some of the stories in the new book will be new to me.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 12th, 2009, 5:47 am

Actually,

The Flash of Two Worlds HC is something I want to get.

To my way of thinking the cover to Flash Vol. 2 #123 (Flash of Two Worlds) is definitely one of the iconic comic book covers of all time and perhaps the definitive Flash cover art. The kids back then had to be excited the day that book came out!

I'm the kind of guy who actually LIKES the old coot superheroes! I like the original Flash and original Green Lantern even though I think the Silver Age versions are the iconic, definitive versions of those characters. Love the original JSA (not so much the revamped, modern JSA). Big fan of Golden Age DC.

I'll probably get the FOTW HC from the local comic shop. Most of the time I pre-order that stuff online to save cash. I just hate paying over $30 for single books!

Of course, the new Flash of Two Worlds compilation is being released to tie-in with Flash: Rebirth (which is being handled disastrously right now).

I like the new DC Library line but I'm afraid it's going on at the expense of the Archives.

Everybody knows the Archives generally don't do well which is why some Archives series haven't had a new volume in at least 5-6 years!

DC's starting to skip around on most series. Spirit, Doom Patrol, LSH, and JSA fans are lucky --- at least those series got finished... Then again, they had finite runs that are easier to collect in total unlike Superman or Batman.

I personally have DC Library Swamp Thing HC that picks up from the original story and collects the original Len Wein run on Swamp Thing Vol. 1. I also have the volume that reprints the Batman annuals. Big fan of Batman art prior to the Schwartz/Infantino revamp of the early 1960s. I just don't like 1960s Batman much at all and prefer the earlier more cartoony look of the character. That's part of the reason why I like both Bruce Timm's and The Brave and the Bold (animated) versions of Batman!

I've got the George Perez JLA book on order as well as the Captain Marvel/Monster Society of Evil book even though I have the late 1980s reprint. The DC Captain Marvel reprint should at least fix the coloring and have a fresher feel to it than the "photographed book" of the 1980s.

P.S. -- The Green Lantern animated movie was excellent. Probably the most consistent DC Animated video done since Mask of the Phantasm which is still my personal favorite. The GL movie is definitive the best of the bunch that's come out in the past 3 years.

It's one of the best Hal Jordan stories done. I had some problems with a few character designs but otherwise GL looked great in the Bruce Timm revamp of the uniform.

They almost lost me in the 18 minutes with the whole good cop, bad cop going on between you-know-who in the film but it really picks up and gets much better after that. Great action sequences for sure and I felt I got to understand Hal Jordan better...

I wouldn't mind seeing another GL animated feature in the future or a decent TV show spotlighting the character.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 1st, 2009, 7:49 pm

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... ybrown.htm

An interview with Clancy Brown, voice of Lex Luthor in Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, and reprising the role of Luthor in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.

He is also, coincidentally, the voice of Mr. "Eugene" Krabbs, the owner of the the Krusty Krab and Spongebob's boss.

I love the line where he complains that he's always getting cast as the villain! "But I want to play a hero for once!" :lol:

Great talent!

I always get a kick out of his performances and his Luthor is just so ruthlessly cool and immoral. I can honestly see his Luthor winning the US Presidency in the DC Animated Universe!

Clancy Brown really stole the last story arc of Justice League Unlimited as Luthor. I just love his performances as that character. :twisted:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 4th, 2009, 1:23 pm

More images released from Public Enemies...
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... /index.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the Friday update on the link to see 'em.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 4th, 2009, 2:21 pm

I'm not a fan of Loeb's Superman-Batman stories, but this could be a pretty cool movie.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 7th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Talk with the artists behind the Superman/Batman: Public Enemies movie and the challenge of adapting Ed McGuiness' look to animation.

More stills from the direct-to-video included in the article.

The DVD and Blu ray releases of the film are on September 23rd.

Re-releases have already been done of previous DC Direct action figures based on the Ed Guinness' art style. They are among the best in the DC Direct line and I prefer them to the generally more "realistic" approach the sculptors take with the characters. I don't collect action figures anymore but to me it is amazing how close the sculptors came to McGuinness' art style. The lines of action figures based on Public Enemies and the story arc McGuiness illustrated in JLA Spotlight were very well-done.

There are also maquettes being released later in the month based on the style sheets created for Batman and Superman in the new film.

Again, the story this film is based on is in my opinion very silly....

As Rand mentioned, Loeb can be an acquired taste and frankly he's got a 50/50 ratio with me. I like some of his DC stuff, hate what he's done at Marvel for the most part and think he's at best inconsistent on the characters he's been good at (Superman and Batman). What really sold me on the first story arc of the comic book this is based on was Ed McGuinness' artwork. Tim Sale seems to bring out the best in Loeb's stories, period.

The vocal performances of the main characters (Luthor, Batman, Superman) should be excellent.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Clancy Brown/Luthor manages to steal the film...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 7th, 2009, 11:30 pm

The writer of the movie did say in an interview that he went to lengths to explain just how Luthor could convince anyone that Superman was out to destroy the Earth with the meteor. The writer obviously (and rightly) thought that was a weak story point.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 8th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Typical Loeb...

I'm serious, he does things like that a lot in the comics he writes.

Avatar updated with a Classic Mickey look!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 12th, 2009, 12:00 am

New preview clip up for the Superman/Batman: PE movie at Comics Continuum.

It's actually pretty good.

Everybody knows Clancy Brown has the plum role here.

I'm hoping Tim Daly gets something good, too.

The last Superman film he did -- Brainiac Attacks -- was awful.

I don't blame him for that. The Lois/Clark scenes were good, but the recasting for Luthor and Mercy didn't mesh well. The fact that continuity from Superman: TAS and Justice League was ignored hurt the film, too.

All that character development shoved aside because people didn't do basic research.

A darn shame because that was one of the last times the old Timm Superman TAS designs were used. They were far superior to the redesigns of those characters for Superman: Doomsday...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 13th, 2009, 4:31 pm

I like the voice performances, but this looks very poorly directed to me, in the visual staging. I know they don't have great budgets, but that's where a good director can overcome the limitations and still put in some good staging. It just seemed very basic and uninspired to me.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 13th, 2009, 6:07 pm

This will be the third DC animated movie this year (not including the Watchmen one), and you have to wonder if they're spreading their best people a little thin at this point, considering that Warner still produces a number of series as well.

GeorgeC

Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths revealed

Post by GeorgeC » September 15th, 2009, 10:44 pm

http://news.toonzone.net/articles/31137 ... two-earths

The article goes into depth about this direct-to-video film listing the major roles cast and describing the plot.

Ughhh... Sounds like the Grant Morrison "Earth Two" Graphic Novel released 10 years ago instead of an adaptation of the classic 1960s JLA story which was IMHO far superior to Morrison's ambiguous and ultimately (to my eyes) unsatisfying tale.

There isn't going to be the JLA/JSA crossover a lot of people would have liked. I guess they couldn't fit it into the budget and decided people liked Morrison's story better?

(I sure don't!)

There is a way to modernize these stories a bit and still make them palatable to older fans like me. The Brave and the Bold animated series has done it. Batman:TAS accomplished it wonderfully as did Justice League. Superman:TAS wasn't half bad over the half the time, either.

This may be the first DC animated project I rent instead of buy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 15th, 2009, 11:30 pm

With screencaps:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42363

I'm still pretty jazzed about this story (I won't judge it by Morrison's efforts until I watch the movie itself), but it is SO disappointing that the JSA won't be in it. What is the pont of doing a JLA crisis story without the JSA? Sigh. Well, maybe that'll come later. I sure hope so.

Interesting that Hal will be GL (good, though I could live with John, too) and that they are using the later J'Onn costume (bad).

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 16th, 2009, 2:46 am

Mark Harmon as Superman. Wow. That's should be interesting. Great on NCIS, so it's going to be quite the listen of him voicing Supes.