DC Universe Animated Original Movies

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 23rd, 2009, 6:49 pm

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... /index.htm

A while back it was announced that a trial DC Shorts program was in the offing for the Direct-to-Video movies.

These shorts will feature characters that might not feature in their own full-length films since they're not as well known as Superman, Batman, and most of the mainstay JLA.

I knew a Jonah Hex short was in the works because of the planned live-action movie with that character. Hex has already been spotlighted in Batman:TAS, JLU, and Batman: The Brave and the Bold (two appearances on that show so far!).

Who's the last JSA mainstay I'd expect to get an animated short???

The Spectre!

Confirmed.

Not confirmed so far is which Spectre will be used. My bet is on the original, Jim Corrigan.

I wish DC would leave the Golden Age characters alone (and this goes for the Silver Age and beyond characters, too) and stop kidding themselves into believing that most fans accept revolving identities. Stick to the basics and the original characters I say!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 23rd, 2009, 6:54 pm

HEY!

What was wrong with our more in-depth post of the same press release!

http://animatedviews.com/2009/dc-univer ... y-23-2010/

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 23rd, 2009, 8:29 pm

As long as DC is adapting comic storylines, I'd love to see a movie based on Kevin Smith's Green Arrow run. Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive would be excellent too (I really need to finish reading that story. I still don't know who the real killer was).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 23rd, 2009, 9:07 pm

Both good ideas, though the GA story is likely too wrapped up in continuity to adapt. I don't know how good the Bruce Wayne story was (as I didn't read it), but the basic plot would make for a good movie.

After choosing to adapt Jeph Loeb's Superman-Batman story, they couldn't do much worse. ;)

After getting over my initial disappointment over the JSA not being in the Crisis movie, I'm now looking forward to it quite a bit. I'd still love to see more of the JSA, though (we got a bare glimpse in New Frontier). Geoff John's JSA story for Smallville looks promising. Okay, granted--- it's Smallville, but the JSA looks really good in the promo just released.

For the animated movies, I still would like to see the Legion, and we need a Flash film sometime.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 23rd, 2009, 9:49 pm

Gary Cole as The Spectre? Jim Corrigan, then!

Cole was the voice of Harvey Birdman. In live-action, he was Mike Brady in the theatrical Brady Bunch films. (It was both a great send-up of and homage to the original Mike Brady, Robert Reed.) Much props to him for handling such different characters!

It's enough to do one thing well to make a fan out of me. When someone excels at such different things, I'm humbled by the presence of such excellence.

Gotta get his autograph on my Harvey Birdman DVD sets if I ever run across him....

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 19th, 2010, 9:02 pm

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... _id=231279

Clip up from the finished JLA movie being released February 23rd.

Looking pretty good!

P.S. -- Got to see Gary Cole in Mike Judge's film, "Office Space."

Talk about an awful boss! Great acting but glad he's NOT my boss!

GeorgeC

Re: Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths revealed

Post by GeorgeC » February 9th, 2010, 12:35 pm

More on The Spectre as discussion centers around the DC Shorts program featuring second-string characters. The first trio are The Spectre, Jonah Hex, and Green Arrow!

A fourth short IS being worked on but the character is under-wraps for the time being...

Scroll down further in today's segment of Comics Continuum and they go into the voice cast for the next episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Kevin Conroy and Dana Delany are back doing guest-shots on this episode! I won't tell you WHO Conroy is playing...! (FYI, it's NOT Batman... Deidrich Bader still has that job and is doing an excellent job as the B & B Batman). Sounds like a neat retro-style episode. B & B continues to impress while the bulk of Marvel animation (and upcoming announced Marvel projects) on the Tube is depressingly bad!

P.S. -- Lots of posts by me today...

My school got cancelled due to snow! Graduation is still set for June 18th unless we get too many more snow days... The snow's been really bad in the Eastern half of the US for the past week or so. This is the second cancellation in two weeks. Last Friday, there was an emergency release (due to snow again) a half-hour before normal class dismissal.

Again, the weather's been really bad and driving conditions very hazardous in some parts of the country.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 9th, 2010, 2:09 pm

I love the shorts idea. Very nifty. I just wish they'd make the features themselves longer.

Sorry about your snow issues. We had a foot of snow two weeks ago, but we generally managed okay, unless one needed to take a bus. School buses didn't run for a few days (main roads got cleared pretty quickly, but neighborhood roads took a while), but no school closures.
Last edited by Randall on February 9th, 2010, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » February 10th, 2010, 2:00 am

Randall wrote:For the animated movies, I still would like to see the Legion
You mean, as opposed to the Legion series?--Yeah, that was pretty minor. :|

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 10th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Yes, I'd like a Legion movie for grown-ups. For that matter, I'd love a Teen Titans movie for grown-ups, if The Judas Contract could ever get made.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 10th, 2010, 9:04 pm

I find it difficult to see a Legion or Teen Titans film being made as time goes on.

They've had their shows already... Legion wasn't a huge hit but Titans really surprised me with the little follow-up they had after the show ceased production. They had one direct-to-video film (tepid as it was) and that was it. I was under the impression that Titans was at least a modest hit for Cartoon Network and never understood why production ceased while the show was still on a high. Legion I can understand ceasing production since it wasn't a huge ratings success and was probably a victim of the reshuffling and eventual disintegration of Kids WB...

[Legion, at any rate, has never been more than a cult phenomenon even within comics circles and is unknown to the larger public. Teen Titans, at time, rivalled X-Men in popularity but that was way back in 1980-1985. Since the early 1990s, Titans hasn't been that popular. It really peaked in critical and sales success in the early-mid 1980s.]

In spite of that, Titans (TV) did have its moments and was more than an anime wannabe show.

The final season was great with the entire Titans cast taking on The Brain, General Immortus and the rest of the Legion (of Evil?) as well as the guest spots by the Doom Patrol(!) and Kid Flash.

Legion of Super-Heroes (TV) was well, meh. Those characters were handled better within Superman:TAS and Justice League Unlimited, IMHO. Why they weren't handled properly within the context of the Timm DCUA is beyond me. That could have been a continuation beyond JLU but that wasn't in the cards and I think Timm wanted to move on to direct-to-video projects.

Next up is a Batman movie based on the storyline of the Red Hood (JT/RII for those-in-the-know) written by Judd Winnick.

Winnick is NOT a particular favorite of mine -- I seriously think the guy's a hack and at best mediocre. He's also adapting his own storyline and writing the screenplay for the animated film. I pretty much know what to expect...! :roll:

Why they're adapting this particular storyline is beyond me. No, this is NOT the Joker Red Hood. It's a return to a bad idea and a bad character DC should have left rotting in the bad writing ground of the late 1980s. It's one of series of bad missteps DC and Marvel have made in the past 15 years...

Batman/Superman: Public Enemies was at least fun even if the story was a bit stupid. The Red Hood storyline is just bad... It's DKII-bad IMHO.

So, as the direct-to-video films make their missteps at least Batman: The Brave and the Bold continues to surprise me. That's the consistently good stuff in animated superhero adventures!

If I ever cross paths with the producer, I've gotta tell he's done one heck of a job with that show. It's fun for kids and accessible to everybody at the same time who's been a long time comics fan! (At least those of us who appreciate the older comics and character designs by anybody who's not Neal Adams or Jim Lee.)

The only people who don't like B & B are the same guys that like constant apocalyptic storylines and think every comic book should be modelled after Frank Miller's Dark Knight or Watchmen... And oh, has the comic book market improved because of that mentality! :roll: It's so accessible to kids and people that want fantasy and a more optimistic vision of the future. Constant bleakness does wonders for sales!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 24th, 2010, 3:14 am

Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths look to be pretty decent! Might actually be one of the best films done so far by WB Animation.

I haven't seen the entire feature because I don't have time today (I need to get some sleep!) but it's a quality feature.

The few minutes I did skim through it I was pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of nice character cameos and the production values are higher than most of the preceding OVA's.

Voicework seems to be pretty good, too...

I did get to browse through more on the extras for the Blu ray edition. I'd recommend the Blu ray version for the higher resolution and ESPECIALLY the Blu ray-exclusive extras. I have mixed feelings on animation Blu rays -- much of the TV stuff just isn't worth the upgrade and quite a few of the BD re-releases including the Hellboy animated films lack the extras found the previous DVD releases -- but this seems to be an exception to the rule.

In addition to everything the 2-disc DVD edition has, the Blu ray has the pilot films for the Smallville Aquaman spin-off (don't care, don't like Smallville personally) and the 1970s Wonder Woman TV series (big Lynda Carter WW fan!). You won't get either of these films on the DVD releases.

The Spectre short is excellent and plays like an animated version of the 1970s (gothically violent) comic book series. Again, very good voicework in addition to high production values. Totally did NOT recognize Alyssa Milano's voice. Looks like the best quality animation you get from Korean TV animation studios, too. Very, very good stuff!

The Spectre short has noticeable grain and scratches on it but it's supposed to. The aging was deliberately added to the film and gives it a nice, period feel.

This short alone might be worth the price of the disc if the main feature didn't appear so good, too.

Confirmation on this video release that the next film up is Batman: Under the Red Hood.

I really, really don't like the storyline it's being adapted from but at least it sounds like Bruce Greenwood ("Christopher Pike," Star Trek/2009) is going to be a good Batman. He's got a vocal tone that's not unlike Kevin Conroy. I already know going in that he's a very solid actor, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 24th, 2010, 9:51 am

Hey, man, any Batman is good Batman. I even enjoyed Shumacher's Batman and Robin (I always figured they made it that campy on purpose, perhaps to evoke the same feel as the Adam West series, but with a bigger budget. It's not their fault the audience didn't get what they were doing).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 24th, 2010, 1:17 pm

More like a case of Schumacher not getting what the producer was doing--
There was definitely a mass feeling of the audience shaking their heads at Schumacher's self-indulgence for what he'd thought the franchise was, in a group look of 'No, Joel, no..."

(This was in the same three-year period as the Dean Devlin "Godzilla", and Akiva's own "Lost in Space", so the audience was more conscious about the concept of the Just So Wrong(tm) movie that abuses its pop-iconic privileges.) 8)

GeorgeC

New Green Lantern animated project in production...

Post by GeorgeC » March 18th, 2010, 3:54 pm

A new GL film is being released for next year. It will cover the origins of the Green Lantern Corps and tell stories of the first power ring wielders.

The direct-to-video project is being timed to coincide with the release of the Green Lantern live-action project starring Ryan Reyolds as Hal Jordan/Green Lantern and featuring Temuera Morrison (Attack of the Clones, "Jango Fett") as Abin Sur, Jordan's predecessor in the Corps.

There is also talk about the possibility of a new GL animated TV series...