The Fox and the Hound

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » December 11th, 2006, 9:24 pm

The animation in the new "Disney Princess: Enchanted Tales" (not to be confused with the live action/animation blend "Enchanted") looks awful indeed, but only on the new Beauty and the Beast story (altough it's just characters being off-model, the animation itself looks alright). The new Sleeping Beauty (Aurora) story looks great! Not as great as the original of course, but they really stayed close to the original backgrounds and animation :)

Oh and to get back on the DDB case (altough it's off-topic :wink:), yesterday was just my luck... After I posted the message about me working on it very hard my computer crashed (after searching and killing spyware! can you believe that!) and I lost most of my work :( I have recovered most of it, but I'm a huge step back again :cry:
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Jens wrote:The animation in the new "Disney Princess: Enchanted Tales" (not to be confused with the live action/animation blend "Enchanted") looks awful indeed, but only on the new Beauty and the Beast story (altough it's just characters being off-model, the animation itself looks alright).
Yes! I completly agree. I noticed Beast and Belle looked a little funny, but everything else looks great!
Jens wrote: The new Sleeping Beauty (Aurora) story looks great! Not as great as the original of course, but they really stayed close to the original backgrounds and animation :)
Oh, nothing could ever out do the original, but it does look very faithful indeed. The voices sound very much like the original as well, especially the fairies! :P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 12th, 2006, 11:53 am

The new Sleeping Beauty (Aurora) story looks great! Not as great as the original of course, but they really stayed close to the original backgrounds and animation
That's because they're using the old backgrounds again. It saves time and makes the production look more expensive than it really is.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » December 12th, 2006, 2:11 pm

And what is your source for that? Or do you have material to compare? Even if they did... It was also done in The Lion King 1 1/2, and that worked out great. I don't remember any critism on that decision back then!

Anyway, not only the backgrounds stay true to the original, the animation looks quite like the original animation too! And I think it's hard to get that special look, as Sleeping Beauty used a special animation technique...

[Edit] I looked up some material to compare myself:

Original:

Enchanted Tales:

Original

Enchanted Tales:

They look pretty much the same, don't they? And that's just my point... Ok maybe they are using backgrounds from the original (a, ltough I can't prove it). The classics feature films also used this trick, even with animation!
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 12th, 2006, 3:47 pm

They look similar, but not really. The first picture with the fairies, looks way different. The original looks like real brick, while enchanted looks more cartoony.

In all my reading, I have never come across information that suggest reusing backrounds and whatnot. :?

However, Lion King 1 1/2, did use some old matrial from the original. Such as the scene where Timon dances in a hulla-- classic!

Don't know about the backrounds and stuff :oops:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Jens wrote:Sleeping Beauty used a special animation technique...
They're not using the same backgrounds. As with Bambi 2, the computer can help tremeandously in getting the old feel in there without having to actually paint extensive new backgrounds. And they wouldn't ever reuse older, classic backgrounds for a new DTV.

Also, what's this "special animation technique"? Without sounding pompous, the 1950 Disney features are a speciality of mine and I've never heard anything about SB being differently handled to any of the other Walt-era features...? Please reveal...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » December 12th, 2006, 5:11 pm

Well, that didn't come out the way it should have... I meant that the movie used a more square and strict style overall look, different than other films from that time. I recently read a discussion about several styles of handdrawn animation and some people compare it with the animation used in "Home on the Range", but I can't see how you can compare those two...

It's not an official fact (I haven't seen or read much on the making of Sleeping Beauty), but it's obvious that the film used a different style (and not technique) in animation in backgrounds, no? To me, that style seems harder to reproduce, but as it looks they did a pretty good job in this new Enchanted Tales story.

We're getting WAY off-topic now :D

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 12th, 2006, 6:06 pm

They're not using the same backgrounds. As with Bambi 2, the computer can help tremeandously in getting the old feel in there without having to actually paint extensive new backgrounds. And they wouldn't ever reuse older, classic backgrounds for a new DTV.
Well, when I compare the stills from the original and the "Spin-off" (I refuse to call this thing a sequel), I can see that the backgrounds are new.

But enough with the midquels already. I loved "The Lion King 1 1/2". I thought that "Tarzan II" was a decent little film. But "Bambi II", despite its nice visuals, did very little storywise for me, and "The Fox and the Hound 2" (Hmmm. Is that the movie we're supposed to be talking about?) just looks annoying.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 12th, 2006, 7:17 pm

Even though I'm a sequel freak, I wouldn't consider Enchanted Tales a sequel either WJ ;)

Enough midquels? Never, I love them! :)

Here's what I think of them so far.

Lion King 1 1/2, was ok, no where near as good as Simba's Pride but still good.

Tarzan II was great! Considering the vast difference to the original (he's a kid for the whole film)

Bambi II hands down, my favorite midquel! :D The animation was top notch! And I loved the relationship between Bambi and his dad, and seeing his kinder side. (about time! :evil:)

Fox and the Hound 2 from what been released looks cute. I'll be seeing it soon, so I'll see if I consider it a winner! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 13th, 2006, 3:54 pm

Oh, sorry DJ, I thought you were talking about Enchanted! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 13th, 2006, 3:59 pm

That's ok Meg ;)

I should've been more specific.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 14th, 2006, 8:07 pm

DisneyToon closing for good this time?? :?

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... eview.aspx
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 14th, 2006, 10:11 pm

That article is somewhat confusing. :? I've heard a lot rumors claiming this is the end, and others saying its not. I'm waiting for something 'official', because well, who really knows.

If this really is the end, than that's sad :( I love sequels, and if they stop making them, I'll be really upset :cry:

On another happier note, I agree with what Jim Hill said about FATH2. I just saw it yesterday and loved it. It was a little different in terms of animation and story, but it was still worth the wait!

I'm also happy that the sequel seemed more upbeat and musical. The original, while great, was a real tearjerker on some occasions. Needless to say, the sequel didn't have that much of an emotional impact, however there are sad moments, that I won't spoil ;)

The music was also outstanding. I loved hearing Reba and Patrick sing, it was so cool!

I also saw a few homages to the original! :D one was Copper mentioning he would be going 'hunting' in a few days. Another one was you got to see his master training him for hunting.(Hm.... Does that also count as forshadowing?) and last but not least, after something really bad happened, there was a big storm ala the original ;) (when Tod is left on his own :cry:)

I also really enjoyed the new sound alikes. The only issue I had, was with Chiefs Va. It sounded really odd most of the time, and I couldn't help but picture Jaq Jaq (Cinderella II) when he was human. It was the same Va, but still :?

All in all, if you love the original, than you surely won't be dissapointed! I know I wasn't :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

DJ are you serious?

Post by SPACEHERO55 » December 14th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Seriously You actually like prequels, sequels and Midquels of Disney animated films?

Im sorry if I sound harsh, but with the exception of a few most of these are steaming and soiled piles of garbage. Ugh!!! They stink.

Lets go down the list shall we?

The Return of Jafar- This was one of the first ones and it was one of the worst. This was bad folks Real Bad!!

Aladdin and the King of Thieves- This one is an exception. I liked it. I felt it was original and well written.

Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas - This was a Just sad and very boring.

Belle's Magical World- Just when you thought it could not get any worse this one comes out.

Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World- Yet another poor attempt.

The Lion King II: Simba's Pride- Hey look Fan Fiction come to life. I swear the story for this seems like it was plucked from some Fan Fiction story from some Lion King Fan Site. I cant bealive you liked this better than The Lion King 1½

The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea- Ugh!! This was just frusterating.

Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure- This one actually made me fall asleep.

Cinderella II: Dreams Come True-WOW!!! This was bad.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame II- Did they get a 5 year old to animate this one?

101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure- ......Huh? Why was this even made?

The Lion King 1½- You know what? This was good. Funny and beautifully animated.

Mulan II- Garbage!!!

Tarzan II- Oh man this was boring!! I want to see adult Tarzan. Adult Tarzan was cool.

Kronk's New Groove- Im not even gonna say it.

Bambi II- This one's great if you ran out of sleeping pills.

Brother Bear 2- You know what I kind of liked this one.

The Fox and the Hound 2- Yea this was more garbage.

So you see the ratio of good ones to bad ones is not good. Ok Im sorry I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but most of these are soooo mediocur and badly made that it's hard for me to bealive that anyone over 8 years old liked them.

I know Im gonna get burned for this.

Ronald C
Im a Superhero, what could happen?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 15th, 2006, 2:30 am

You know your gonna get burned? Err Ok... :? Whatever....

Yes to your question BTW. I love sequels, prequels, and midquels. Mind you I don't love each one, there are a few I don't really care for.

Little Mermaid II I just dislike it on many levels.

Hunchback of Notre Dame II badly drawn, and poor villain

Everything else, I strongly disagree with.

Especially about Lion King II. I mean, its way better than 1 1/2. If anything, 1 1/2 is just 'meh'. I really like it, but OMG Timon and Pumba interupted way to many times.

Lion King II, was inspired from Shakespeare. The whole, forbidden love routine? So to be considered a fan fiction is rude understatement.