Peter Pan: Platinum specs

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 4th, 2007, 12:17 pm

Yes the lady and the tramp platinum was quite weak.
I thought the cinderella and bambi one were quite weak as well.
They are older movies, most of the crew is dead by now so I'm guessing it is harder to make bonus materials.

My favourite PE is still beauty and the beast,
3 versions of the movie, new song and a whole lot of bonus materials.

Second would be the lion king, Although the newly animated song didn't work well in the movie and was poorly animated compared to the rest.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2007, 4:48 pm

Beauty And The Beast missed "The Making Of" and some other bits from the previous LaserDiscs, was mis-framed and did not actually include the correct Work In Progress or Original Theatrical Cut, so loses marks there.

Lion King carried almost nothing of the extensive LaserDisc material over and felt very weak next to what was in the great set.

Bes for me so far have been Snow White (almost everything carried over), and Aladdin, which never got a big showing on LD. Not Platinums, but Pocahontas and Sleeping Beauty also got good showings with most of their LD material ported over.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 4th, 2007, 4:53 pm

Eww, I really disliked Morning Report. Was it really needed? It barely added anything, and song was just bad.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 4th, 2007, 5:01 pm

Morning report was really unnecessary,
Beauty and beast did it, hey lets do it to the lion king as well!!
I'm so glad it didn't become a trend.

But in support of morning report, it worked great in the broadway version.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2007, 5:20 pm

I was <I>supposed</I> to be a trend, but both Beauty and Lion King's Imax re-issue performance were lower than expected, so Disney pulled out of the planned Aladdin and Mermaid re-issues, which would have had extra songs put it.

Warner Bros filled the gap with their Imax releases instead, and have turned out to be doing very well from them.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 4th, 2007, 5:35 pm

Morning report wasn't in the imax version was it?
I thought that was especially for the DVD

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 4th, 2007, 6:52 pm

Aww, I would've loved an additional song for The Little Mermaid. Espicially, if it was Ariel one, 'cause you can never have enough Jodie! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2007, 8:47 pm

"Morning Report" was planned for the Imax version, and was in the cut that was cleaned up and had all its effects fixed, but then was dropped from the final prints!

I have no idea why, but that goes some way to explaining the poorer box office, since there was no ral reason to go and see this "new" Lion King. Plus,, Disney had been milking the franchise since it came out and never "retired" it like the others.

My guess is that they should have stuck to putting out Aladdin that year ("Proud Of Your Boy" was the intended new song there) which hadn't been in circulation since its 1992 release. No-one was surprised when Lion King didn't do that well...I went and did think, "hey, I'm watching Lion King on a massive screen", but that was all that was special about it.

At least with Fantasia/2000 and with the extra Beauty And The Beast song, those films felt like "events", but Lion King was just the Lion King...big.

Also reminds me that The Lion King on DVD isn't the original cut either...it's the new version in both configurations. :(

Thank goodness for LaserDiscs! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 5th, 2007, 1:28 am

The weird thing is that the original cut still looks better then the imax cut.
I'm talking about the alligators with the birds and the waterfalls in can you feel the love tonight. etc..

They propably just let morning report for IMAX go because it made the movie worse and replaced a wonderful memorable scene with a silly song.

Talking about Aladdin, Proud of your boy wouldn't have fit in the movie since Aladdin never really mentions his parents.
Now, perhaps a song for Genie about wanting to be free could been a possibility.
It fits in with the oasis but would prpably slow the movie down.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2007, 7:49 am

Yes, but Proud Of Your Boy was the confirmed addition. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 5th, 2007, 10:25 am

Wow, I'm so glad that never happened then :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 6th, 2007, 4:08 am

They reviewed the platinum edition on ultimate disney

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/peterpan- ... ition.html

Now take a look at the video comparison shot in the review.
Seems they accidentally put the wrong captions under each picture.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 6th, 2007, 9:40 am

Unfortunately not. The giveaway is the edge-enhancement on the left SE cap, while the right PE cap betrays the added gamma and lack of grain.

Ugh...it looks very soft! :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 6th, 2007, 11:42 am

'm talking about the alligators with the birds and the waterfalls in can you feel the love tonight. etc..
Yeah....why did they change those anyway??
Yes, but Proud Of Your Boy was the confirmed addition. Smile

I listened to that song and it's a great song, but it DOES sound an awful lot like "Part of Your World". :wink: (I think you actually mentioned that Ben)

It's a very good song (Howard ruled) but I still thought it was a bit weird including it with the re-release as it was from a version of Aladdin that was scrapped, about a character we never even got to see! :) All we had was Aladdin's "mom" singing "I'd blame parents except he hasn't got'em!" :)

One jump, ahead of the hitmen.....sorry, that line made me want to start singing "One Jump Ahead"! :lol:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 6th, 2007, 12:11 pm

POYB would have replaced, or been tied into, the One Jump Reprise. Aladdin would have looked up at the stars in that "hey, I'm a screw-up" moment and sung POYB as a "prayer" to his Mom on his way home to his place. We would have seen his Mom in either flashback or star variations. I think it would have lent some very powerful dramatic weight, shown how Aladdin had gotten to this point in time, and that despite being a cheeky thief, was a good guy who wanted to make good at heart, and thus provided even more gravitas to the "diamond in the rough" angle.