The Simpsons Movie

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 19th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Yeah, me too. After both episodes aired, it was very apparent which episode should've been the 400th.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 20th, 2007, 9:14 am

I haven't really been following Simpsons for years, but I need to see 24 Minutes. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 21st, 2007, 2:04 am

How many years, Ben?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2007, 6:12 am

Well, on and off from when it started. I caught up with the first few season episodes I never saw when the box sets came out and then started watching it more on TV.

I gave up on the box sets with four/five, I think. Just couldn't see me continuing with those and ever getting around to watch them. And the later seasons, from what I was seeing on TV, I would probably never want to say "hey, let's put on a Simpsons season 8 episode!" or anything like that, so what was the point?

As for the show itself, I continue to watch basically when I'm in the same room as when it happens to come on and I've not got anything else going on. Which is rare. And I can't say I go out of my way to see anything on TV, except 24, Smallville and now Heroes, and some other one-shot things.

I'll see The Movie, of course, but I just don't have the time to follow everything out there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » June 21st, 2007, 3:07 pm

Yahoo showcases a GREAT new trailer for the Simpsons Movie
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/180840587 ... dardformat
Last edited by Jeroen on June 21st, 2007, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 21st, 2007, 3:08 pm

I recently got a gift certificate for AMC theaters (won in a contest.) I'm saving it for Simpsons and Ratatouille! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 22nd, 2007, 3:57 am

You won a contest? Congrats, Vi! :)
Ben wrote:And the later seasons, from what I was seeing on TV, I would probably never want to say "hey, let's put on a Simpsons season 8 episode!" or anything like that, so what was the point?
That was a great season, though. :(

Anyway, I understand where your coming from, Ben. I would try to convince you otherwise, but I best not.

But hey, maybe the movie will change all that. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 22nd, 2007, 12:54 pm

You won a contest? Congrats, Vi! Smile

Thanks, Dan! :wink:

That was a great season, though. Sad

Actually, it was. I own it, as well as Season 9. Season 8 had some great ones, particularly since a few were holdovers from seven. Also, at least exec producer Josh Weinstein was still there, plus John Schwartzewlder and David X. Cohen.

Before the days of Mike Scully :? and *shudders* writer Ian-Maxtone Graham, who ADMITTED that he barely watched the Simpsons before he started as a writer there. NOW I know why they so often acted out of character when he was at the helm.

8 was probably the last consistently great one before the slide set in. I think the series picked up after the initial 2 year slide (probably from 1999-2001) but I do agree that it just isn't the same as Season 3 or 4.

That doesn't mean I haven't watched or enjoyed later seasons, though. :)

Some great Season 8 eps:

The Shari Bobbins one
"Homer's Phobia" (the John Waters ep)
"Homer's Enemy" (Frank Grimes)
"The Twisted World of Marge Simpson" (The Pretzel episode with Jack Lemmon and the Japanese mafia)
The X-Files one
"Hurricane Neddy" (Ned Flanders gets committed)
"The Simpsons spin-off Showcase"
The "Mr. Sparkle" episode

I know what you mean though Ben....I haven't watched it regularly in years myself--but, also, if I'm watching TV (also rare) and there's an ep, I'll watch it. :)

One of the biggest reasons I'm interested in the Movie is 'cause it's supposed to be a throwback to older, classic Simpsons (with a lot of the original writing team) not the new "pop culture references/acting out of character/stupid guest stars/hipper-than-thou/cynical/probably written by the Just Shoot Me writers" seasons, not all of which are that bad, but some which are almost unwatchable.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 22nd, 2007, 1:17 pm

Saw Shrek 3 today and Simpsons trailer was on with it. I laughed out loud at several sequences. It looks good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 22nd, 2007, 2:41 pm

That's good to hear, Ben! :)
ShyViolet wrote:Before the days of Mike Scully :?
Hey, there was nothing wrong with Mike!
ShyViolet wrote:I think the series picked up after the initial 2 year slide (probably from 1999-2001)
I think so, too. I just know that after season 11, it got MUCH better. Even the more recent episodes, are as good, if not better than the older seasons.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 22nd, 2007, 3:18 pm

Hey, there was nothing wrong with Mike!
He was OK, but IMHO the series lost a lot of the heart it had when David Mirkin, Josh and Weinstein and Bill Oakley all left and he took over. At least for a while. :?

I think so, too. I just know that after season 11, it got MUCH better. Even the more recent episodes, are as good, if not better than the older seasons.

Yeah, maybe they were just in a funk as they had to find a new direction to go in, as they already did so many plots.
Saw Shrek 3 today and Simpsons trailer was on with it. I laughed out loud at several sequences. It looks good.

How did you feel about Shrek, Ben? :) Hmm.....maybe I'd just rather not know the answer to that one? :wink: :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 22nd, 2007, 3:53 pm

Um, Ben already said he would comment on it. :?
ShyViolet wrote:He was OK
That's how I feel about him. He wasn't as good, but he did have a lot of big shoes to fill, so I think he deserved a little slack.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 22nd, 2007, 11:02 pm

Um, Ben already said he would comment on it. Confused

I know....I just thought I'd ask, as I didn't think he'd be seeing it till next week when it comes out in England.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 22nd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Sorry about that, Vi.
Jeroen wrote:Yahoo showcases a GREAT new trailer for the Simpsons Movie
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/180840587 ... dardformat
Truth be told, that's actually the final trailer. And OMG was that awesome!! It only had a few new scenes, but still.... wow!

The whole president thing was unexpected, but kinda funny. And the "Spider Pig" joke, was great! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 25th, 2007, 12:08 am

The Simpsons Movie official site is now up! Not much on it right now, but it looks cool.

Also, 7-Elevens now have cool squishee cups for thier slurpees! Ah, I so want one! No word yet about them being converted into a Kwik-E-Mart, but I've heard rumors its going to happen when the movie premieres.

And lastly, Burger King will be the one promoting this. (No link, unfortunately) but see, I knew it! :D