The Secret of NIMH

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Secret of NIMH

Post by droosan » January 3rd, 2007, 1:19 am

In a message posted December 22nd in the "Ask Us" section of donbluth.com, Don Bluth and Gary Goldman revealed that a "Special Edition" DVD of The Secret of NIMH is forthcoming, and gave some details regarding the "extras" (which are still being worked on) ...
Message: I recently watched the DVD of The Secret of NIMH, and noticed a lot of scratches and blurry sections in the transfer. Are there any plans whatsoever to have the film restored in any way? I loved it as a child and hope that it doesn't deteriorate any more than it apparently has.
Reply: David, Thank you for writing. Actually, we just completed a re-mastering of the film for a new DVD which will be coming out next year. If all goes according to the marketing plan, it will feature an HDTV 16X9 version, a 1:1.85 letterbox version and a full screen version. It will have all the minutia, including negative dirt and scratches removed. We are doing a producer/director's commentary and on camera interviews for the "extras" in about two weeks. When we know the release date of , we will post it on the homepage of this site. Right now, we believe it will be in March or April. The new master looks beautiful! MGM/UA is releasing it thru 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. Regards.
If the DVD is released in 2007, it comes just in time for the film's 25th anniversary! :)

This was the film which transformed my life in 1982 (when I was 12 years old), setting me on the path toward working in the animation field. You better bet I am ecstatic! :D
Last edited by droosan on January 3rd, 2007, 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 3rd, 2007, 1:28 am

Wonderful news! The Secret of NIMH has to be my favorite Don Bluth film of all time -- it never ceases to amaze me, and even more so now that it will finally be released on a special edition DVD.

Thanks for the information, droosan! :D
"Welcome to hell." - Skinner

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 3rd, 2007, 5:31 am

Yes!

I knew this was on the cards after the Anastasia SE did quite well for Fox and they then started distributing MGM content.

If you've noticed, Fox has been quietly re-issuing their very first vanilla catalog releases in very dandy collector's editions, and have just started doing the same for their MGM pick-ups, so this was only a matter of time.

Lovely that this very special film will be getting justice served to us in a deluxe edition - perhaps Fox will finally be urged to put out Banjo on DVD too, perhaps as a bonus to NIMH?

After all, that was the short that got them the funding... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » January 3rd, 2007, 2:59 pm

ARGH!

I just bought this DVD this past year. Ah well... at least it was only $7.50 at Walmart. Perhaps this special edition will have passable cover art too? *prays*
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 3rd, 2007, 6:05 pm

Good on the DVD contents, but this is an animation title from FOX we're talking about - unless they let Bluth have a say on the art (oh, please use the original "dark" poster!), then we'll get some sappy image that looks like the NIMH 2 cover! :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 3rd, 2007, 8:33 pm

Gah! I just bought NIMH a few months ago - why didn't I WAAAAIIIT?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 4th, 2007, 1:14 am

ARGH!

I just bought this DVD this past year. Ah well... at least it was only $7.50 at Walmart
I did the exact same thing YCougar! :P :? I guess we're all in the same boat. :? :roll:

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 4th, 2007, 2:20 am

This is gonna be shocking, coming from me, but I have never seen this film.

I have however, seen some of the sequel. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 4th, 2007, 3:14 am

No, that's not shocking coming from you at all. ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 4th, 2007, 3:17 am

Maybe they'll FINALLY release the film on DVD in ANAMORPHIC widescreen?

Nice to see Fox FINALLY got that part right with the last release of Anastasia (the only other Bluth film worth buying on DVD, period).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 4th, 2007, 4:02 am

Ben wrote:No, that's not shocking coming from you at all. ;)
Well, I meant shocking by not having seen the original, not about sequel. :P

Haha, I'm so predictable :oops: ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 9th, 2007, 9:07 pm

Don Bluth and Gary Goldman are the greatest living animated film makers (John Lasseter is a close second) and it makes me happy that their debut will finally get a proper release. I'm hoping that it will sell well enough for Universal to follow the leader and release proper special editions of American Tail and Land Before Time (the good one, before they did all those terrible sequels).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 9th, 2007, 9:28 pm

Didn't they just release a 10th anniversary edition of The Land Before Time?

Terrible sequels? I disagree. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » January 10th, 2007, 3:00 pm

I very disliked that movie.
I was so disapointed, when the secret about NIMH thing was just this laboratory....
Last edited by Groaning on January 11th, 2007, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 10th, 2007, 3:33 pm

Way to ruin the ending, Groaning! J/k :P