The Secret of NIMH

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by rednowgreen » April 17th, 2007, 7:36 pm

Ok, here's the new cover, it's almost the same exact one Daniel posted but they slightly changed it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000OQDUNY

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 18th, 2007, 12:03 am

Hm, kinda lame... but still way better than the Anastasia Family Fun cover!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » April 18th, 2007, 3:24 am

Gah. If the features are good enough, I'll go ahead and get it... maybe just do my own cover and replace it. (:<
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 18th, 2007, 6:42 am

It's currently listed as having only one disc :(
I hope this still has to be updated.

Oh well, they are gonna mess it up anyway.
Just look at that "happy happy fun time" cover and compare it to the original poster.
Is this even the same movie?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 18th, 2007, 1:09 pm

The specs just in from Fox state a two-disc. We'll see if this holds up, but this is the latest info.

Could be that they were planning to include the second one in the package, like they did with Bartek in Anastasia, but that Bluth vetoed the idea based on the fact he had nothing to do with it.

I still would like to see Family Fun Editions for Once Upon A Forest and The PageMaster - both Fox discs - but now they're putting out MGM titles, you can add Rock-A-Doodle and The Care Bears Movie to that list too.

Funny that Fox had all of Bluth's titles for a long while - including Banjo - but did nothing with them. Now they're at MGM, they're being released through Fox anyhoo!

Funny world...maybe Banjo will end up on the NIMH disc? Would be ultra cool! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 18th, 2007, 7:32 pm

Its an ok cover, but it could've been much better.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Secret of NIMH Family Fun Edition

Post by GRUNT » February 6th, 2008, 9:41 am

Hey guys - I plan on purchasing the Anastasia Family Fun edition because I love the film very much and because of Animated Views' glowing review of the DVD set :].

I haven't seen the Secret of NIMH for a very, very long time, but Anastasia has sparked a sudden interest in catching up with more Don Bluth stuff :P. According to the not-always-reliable Wikipedia, there's a blu-ray version of Secret of NIMH being planned or something.

What I'm hoping for is some reviews of the NIMH family fun edition - I did a search on the forum and on the main page, but couldn't find anything :(. I take it that it's better than any other current release, but might it be worth waiting for the blu-ray version? Is anything known about the features that are going to be in the blu-ray one?

Oh, and I did read some reviews from other websites, but I'd like to hear one from youse guys if you feel so inclined :].

One more thing (I hadn't planned on asking this, but as long as I'm here...) is it worth shelling (pun not intended) out all the extra money for the Little Mermaid Platinum edition, or can I be happy with the Special Edition which still includes The Little Match Girl?

Thanks! :]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Secret of NIMH Family Fun Edition

Post by Dusterian » February 6th, 2008, 11:44 am

GRUNT wrote:One more thing (I hadn't planned on asking this, but as long as I'm here...) is it worth shelling (pun not intended) out all the extra money for the Little Mermaid Platinum edition, or can I be happy with the Special Edition which still includes The Little Match Girl?
There's only two DVDs of The Little Mermaid out: the original 1 disc release with no bonus features and the new 2 disc Special Edition which is also a Platinum Edition. The Special Edition has the Platinum Edition banner at the top. Yes, the one with The Little Matchgirl is the Platinum Editon Special Edition.

Did you hear of something I didn't? I'd love to know...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Secret of NIMH Family Fun Edition

Post by GRUNT » February 6th, 2008, 11:52 am

Dusterian wrote:
GRUNT wrote:One more thing (I hadn't planned on asking this, but as long as I'm here...) is it worth shelling (pun not intended) out all the extra money for the Little Mermaid Platinum edition, or can I be happy with the Special Edition which still includes The Little Match Girl?
There's only two DVDs of The Little Mermaid out: the original 1 disc release with no bonus features and the new 2 disc Special Edition which is also a Platinum Edition. The Special Edition has the Platinum Edition banner at the top. Yes, the one with The Little Matchgirl is the Platinum Editon Special Edition.

Did you hear of something I didn't? I'd love to know...
All I know is that I definitely saw a special edition little mermaid that didn't say it was a two-disc thingy, which includes the Little Matchgirl.

This is what I saw, in the flesh (so to speak):
Mermaid SE on eBay

It was selling for 20 bucks right alongside the 2-disc one which was 66 bucks, so I assume they're different. D:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 6th, 2008, 12:14 pm

GRUNT, the disc you've linked on eBay is a Region-3 DVD, intended for sale/use in Asia, only. You would need a Region-3 or 'multi-region'-capable DVD player in order to view it.

You should be able to find the 2-disc Special Edition of The Little Mermaid for much less than US$66 .. :? DVD Planet has it for US$22, Amazon sells it for US$19 new (and even less 'used'); but you should also be able to find it fairly easily in local stores for about the same prices, or even less; it's not yet been placed on 'moratorium' (or "in the Disney vault," as some say). So, there's absolutely no reason to pay such a high premium for the 2-disc Platinum Edition .. unless it's been signed by Jodi Benson, or something. ;) (though, I should add that I'm assuming you live in the U.S.A. .. but even 'overseas', this title should still be fairly well-available for less than a 300%-markup).
Last edited by droosan on February 6th, 2008, 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » February 6th, 2008, 12:17 pm

Actually, I saw it in Singapore, where I am right now :]. My DVD player can handle multiple regions....so should I opt for this instead of the 2-disc one? Does the extra stuff on the 2-disc one warrant the extra monies? D:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 6th, 2008, 12:35 pm

Skimming through the description of the 1-disc Region-3 The Little Mermaid eBay listing, I haven't seen anything of note 'missing' vis-a-vis the Region-1 TLM Platinum Edition. I would say "go for it" .. especially since your local 'mark-up' price on the 2-disc Region-1 set is so high! :idea:

--------------

As for the The Secret of NIMH Family Fun Edition .. it is, indeed, far superior to the previous "M-G-M Kids" edition, in both picture/transfer quality and its 'extras' .. but I still felt that it was a bit 'slim' in these offerings, considering that NIMH is easily my favorite animated film of all-time! :)

Still, it is a disc well-worth buying, and as I said, is the best version yet released in Region-1.

I also have two Region-2 discs of The Secret of NIMH (one from England, and one from France) which also sport excellent-quality transfers, but neither has much at all in the way of 'extras'.

--------------

I haven't yet heard of any plans for a Blu-Ray edition of The Secret of NIMH. Certainly, no official announcement has been made yet about this by Sony, M-G-M, or Fox (any one of which might have the HD 'rights' to the movie .. NIMH's ownership/distribution history is pretty 'murky').

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 6th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Hey Grunt!

Since we don't get copies in from MGM/Fox, The Secret Of NIMH is a title that we've been meaning to cover from our own copy but haven't gotten around to it yet!

As Droosan says, the new edition is well worth it, though it's fairly well known that the interview on the disc has been cut in half from the original 42 minutes Don and Gary participated in, so this could be extended again on a Blu-Ray. They also note that the new transfer was made with Blu-Ray in mind, so the release is more than a certainty...just a matter of "when".

My guess is that they'll be waiting to see how classic animation does on BR and think about releases then. In the meantime, I'd say grab the standard definition 2-disc set.

With Mermaid, there doesn't seem to be anything missing from the US 2-disc set, which was a lot of filler anyway. If The Little Match Girl is the big draw for you, as with Droo, I'd say go for the R3 version that you've seen.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 7th, 2008, 1:21 am

Sadly, I don't have much to add, but I concur with the comments on The Little Mermaid. I know if I was if I was in your situation GRUNT, I would no doubt pick up the Region 3 version. Plus, I like the cover art a bit more. :)

Btw, here's our original NIMH thread.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 7th, 2008, 10:19 am

Daniel wrote:I would no doubt pick up the Region 3 version. Plus, I like the cover art a bit more. :)
I didn't liked that cover,Ariel,Flounder and Sebastian are ugly here,the US is prettier,thought i think that this cover is better then the 1999 DVD cover.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]