The Secret of NIMH

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 7th, 2008, 2:21 pm

Daniel wrote:Btw, here's our original NIMH thread.
Thanking you, and merging... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » February 10th, 2008, 10:51 pm

Aha, so here's where the thread went :P.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys :]. I'll likely be picking up the cheaper Region 3 DVDs for the Disney stuff (they have these special edition dvds for several other Disney flicks) but I'm still so torn over whether or not to get the Secret of NIMH Family Fun Edition :(.

If there's definitely a blu-ray version coming out with all the special features the Family Fun edition has and more, then I'd rather wait for that, I think... D:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cmoon » March 3rd, 2008, 7:08 am

Coming late to the party:

I've had the special edition set for a few months and here are my thoughts:

#1) There is nothing of interest on the second disc at all :(

#2) As pointed out, the artwork is terrible (go see the original movie poster...)

#3) Yea! Not formatted to fit my TV!

#4) Sort of odd commentary. Interesting comments about the animation itself, backgrounds and use of colors. I'd hoped to hear more about the creative decisions made to radically alter the plot--and this is touched on a little bit, but I would have liked to hear more.

My final take on this one is if you really enjoy the film, the second purchase is probably worth it, but don't expect to be getting something well out there beyond the original dvd release. This is not a very wide 'widescreen', and the commentary is only of interest to a few.

American_dog_2008

Secret of NIMH 2 (1998)

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 13th, 2010, 8:27 pm

Another underrated 1990's cartoon, who got bad reviews.

The sequel to the first NIMH movie from 1982.

Here is one of the songs.

:D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 14th, 2010, 1:56 pm

While I have no interest in this particular movie, I will say that I did enjoy the sequel to the original book quite a bit. Wonder why they didn't go with that story for this cartoon? Guess it was too 'dark'...Ah well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 14th, 2010, 2:17 pm

Here's the thing: When Don Bluth heard that MGM wanted to do a NIMH sequel, he pitched what he felt would have been a worthy continuation and begged them to let him do it. They refused. From everything I've heard, this film is terrible. If they had let Bluth do it, it might have been good, but we'll never know due to the suits' stupidity.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 14th, 2010, 2:40 pm

I never knew there was a Bluth-pitched sequel--
Thought MGM was just following Universal's lead in developing more sane "Bluth without Bluth" vidquels for American Tale and Land Before Time, and NIMH was all they owned.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 14th, 2010, 2:54 pm

INsane vidquels, ya mean. Bluth's Land Before Time was and is a great movie that the studio tried to destroy by cutting no less than ten minutes from the final, completed film. The sequels suck.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » February 14th, 2010, 4:31 pm

No, "sane" as in, "How normal would these concepts play if Bluth HADN'T directed them?" sane, eg. "Fievel Goes West".
Which opened the door for studios to realize how much better the originals would play if he hadn't, and wanted to do-over them all--
Bluth did only one of his own vidquels, for "Anastasia", and...oh dear gods. :shock: Thank goodness "normal" directors got to the others. (Except for NIMH, of course.)

GeorgeC

Blu ray release of "The Secret of Nimh" in March

Post by GeorgeC » February 10th, 2011, 12:44 am

According to the Digital Bits, The Secret of Nimh is being released on March 9th. Additionally, All Dogs Go To Heaven 1 and 2 hit BD the same day.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Secret of NIMH

Post by Whippet Angel » February 10th, 2011, 8:24 am

Ah, good to hear. I'll likely be picking up ADGtH and Nimh.

Though I couldn't care less about ADGtH 2, considering the fact that I hate that film with a passion.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » February 11th, 2011, 5:43 pm

I think it's supposed to be March 29, not March 9. That's the date all the other places (BluRay.com, High Def Digest, Amazon) have it as.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 11th, 2011, 5:52 pm

March 9th is a Wednesday .. so the 29th (a Tuesday) does seem more credible.

I'm glad to see The Secret of NIMH get a Blu-ray release .. and I hope its recent re-mastering accounted properly for current HD specs.

-----------------

and -- I realize this is from over a year ago, and has nothing to do with NIMH -- but:
EricJ wrote:sane, eg. "Fievel Goes West".
:o

Fievel Goes West is pretty darned insane. Mind you; I very much enjoyed that movie. But Honest John's 'plot' was ridiculously complex (considering its ultimate goal), and that 'gunfight' sequence at the end (pop guns..? the la-a-azy eye..?) is perhaps the silliest climax of any animated film of the 1990's.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 11th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Wasn't Fievel Goes West Jimmy Stewart's last film performance? He played the sheriff in the film. That'd be the bigger draw for me hearing his voice and all...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » February 12th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Yep.

Apparently Spielberg personally came to the sound booth to direct Stewart's performance.