Review the last animated movie you've seen

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 7th, 2007, 12:23 am

Hellboy: Sword of Storms

I missed this one when it originally aired on Cartoon Network. Being a fan of the live action movie, I was highly anticipating seeing SoS and I'm happy to report that I was not disappointed. The writers nailed the characters and the acting is excellent across the board. If the film has a flaw it's that the story seems a little bit episodic and not entirely cohesive. However, that should not detract from one's enjoyment because what's there is better than most animated comic-book films. Like the live action film, the animated Hellboy is not the kind of movie you would feel the need to watch often, but as an occasional viewing, I think it'll do just fine.

B+
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 9th, 2007, 8:53 am

Kiki's Delivery Service

I hadn't seen this film in years, so when I recently bought the dvd I hoped I would still enjoy it. This is the film that got me interested in anime (which I absolutely love now) and so I'll always have a soft spot for it. Taken on its own, KDS is, in my opinion, one of Hayao Miyazaki's finest films, if one of the most understated. There is no central plot or conflict to speak of, so the film is carried forward entirely by the characters and the way they develop. This is by no means a bad thing when the characters are as good as they are here. When I saw this film growing up, it affected me deeply. I felt like I wanted to be Kiki (still do) and the first time I watched it I cried at the end because I felt like I hadn't spent nearly enough time in her world and had to say goodbye to a dear friend. With the news that the original novel will see release in America (the movie only covered the summer while the novel covers an entire year), perhaps I can finally find out what happens next. In the meantime, I shall continue to enjoy one of the all time best animated features of any decade and hope that Disney's planned live-action adaptation never gets off the ground to ruin people's perception of the original masterpiece.

A+
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83