Tex Avery's Droop:Theatrical Collection announced for DVD!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Tex Avery's Droop:Theatrical Collection announced for DVD!

Post by GeorgeC » January 18th, 2007, 7:47 pm

The Digital Bits had a blurb today about a May 15th release of the Tex Avery Droopy theatrical shorts.

Coming to DVD soon! No word yet on the other classic Avery MGM shorts.

Obviously, the Compleat Collection that was released on LD isn't being replicated on DVD... :(

On the other hand, considering how long it took for ANYTHING that was good (and animated) to be released on LD, it's probably a record that an Avery Collection made it to DVD after ONLY 10 years!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 18th, 2007, 8:41 pm

The Compleat collection and the Happy Harmonies sets are the two main reasons I still have my laserdisc player. Too bad that no Compleat Tex Avery DVD set seems to be forthcoming, but at least SOME Avery is getting released finally. I don't think I'll be picking this up, though, unless there are some great extras. I can be satisfied with my LD set.

Hmmm. Here's something I don't know... Were there any Droopy cartoons NOT done by Avery?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 19th, 2007, 5:51 am

Warners said something about the Averys being an expensive proposition to restore due to their otherwise cult collectors cache, so that's the reason they're probably hanging this - which I would image to be a first volume - on Droopy.

Then if this sells well enough, we should get another collection (they may hold some Droopy back?) that's more Avery and completes everything.

Rand...the final two "Avery" MGM cartoons were Hanna-Barbera remakes, in CinemaScope I believe, of earlier Avery cartoons, and one was a Droopy (Wags To Riches, becoming Millionaire Droopy, if memory serves).

And don't forget that many of the later Droopys were either co-directed by Avery and writer Michael Lah, or indeed credited just to Lah as a director, but apart from those, I don't recall any major theatrical shorts being made by anyone else.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 19th, 2007, 1:23 pm

There has been a DVD collection of Tex Avery cartoons available in France (Region-2) for some time .. it even comes packaged in a nice-looking tin case! As far as I can tell, it more-or-less mirrors the Compleat Tex Avery laserdisc set .. I haven't bought it (because I already have the LD set), so I'm not sure. But if you have a multi-region player, this DVD set is 'out there' and available ..

I've seen the DVD set on eBay .. but beware those 'collector's' prices .. It's probably a better deal to buy it direct from France (though that assumes being able to speak/write in french) ..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 21st, 2007, 3:52 am

This is terrific news!!

I've been wondering when a dvd release would finally arrive, and now I have my answer! :)

I'm a huge fan of Tex, so I'll definalty be picking this up! That, and because I looove Droopy. ;)

Btw, I can hardly wait for the cover art! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 21st, 2007, 12:54 pm

I doubt it would be included with this set (which I am so getting ASAP), but did any of you guys see the new Droopy cartoon Cartoon Network did awhile back? It had the wolf buying a latte from Droopy's coffee shop and neglecting to leave a tip, so three guesses what Droopy does. Very funny stuff. It kinda makes me wonder why they didn't make any more since they obviously had a handle on how to do it right.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 21st, 2007, 3:26 pm

eddievalient wrote:I doubt it would be included with this set (which I am so getting ASAP)
What won't be included? :?
eddievalient wrote:but did any of you guys see the new Droopy cartoon Cartoon Network did awhile back?
Yes, I did! :)

Yeah, it was pretty funny. The only issue I had, was Droopy's design. He looked older and kinda ugly. The Wolf as well, but they had good voices!

CN also had paradies of other classics, such as -- Quick Draw Mcgraw, Yogi Bear, Walle Gator, and Pixie and Dixie. Needless to say, Droopy was the best out the bunch! :P

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 21st, 2007, 5:33 pm

droosan wrote:There has been a DVD collection of Tex Avery cartoons available in France (Region-2) for some time .. it even comes packaged in a nice-looking tin case! As far as I can tell, it more-or-less mirrors the Compleat Tex Avery laserdisc set .. I haven't bought it (because I already have the LD set), so I'm not sure. But if you have a multi-region player, this DVD set is 'out there' and available ..

I've seen the DVD set on eBay .. but beware those 'collector's' prices .. It's probably a better deal to buy it direct from France (though that assumes being able to speak/write in french) ..

Don't get this set!

You'd be better off buying a bootleg DVD set of the The Compleat Tex Avery than the French set. The R2 French set has a bunch of edits from the original cartoons and from the sounds of it hasn't had any restoration work done on the shorts, either.

It's a shame WB is completely dropping the ball on the Tex Avery shorts, but because we're in a DVD age they've decided that unless they can sell 1 million copies of EVERY DVD they put out they can't be bothered to do proper jobs on shorts' collections!

The sheerly incompetent and mediocre work done on a lot of the animation boxsets released on DVD in the past few years is very sad. LDs typically had print runs of only 1500 copies but more care was put into a lot of those boxsets versus all the blunders made on DVD sets running 35,000 copies or more.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 21st, 2007, 8:20 pm

Okay, good to know .. like I said, I'd never bought the french DVD set, so I wasn't aware of the edits .. :oops: It's kind of surprising, though, since in my experience, the French hold Tex Avery's cartoons in high regard ..

Though I certainly wouldn't recommend 'bootlegs' of The Compleat Tex Avery laserdisc set .. but that's just my general principles talkin' ..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 21st, 2007, 8:23 pm

I loved Droopy in Roger Rabbit: "Going up, Sir!" "Watch your step, Sir!"

:lol:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 22nd, 2007, 12:16 am

Jerry Beck has chimed in... looks like a complete Avery set would be forthcoming if Droopy sells well. Certainly makes sense.

http://www.animationshow.com/forums/ind ... topic=3072

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2007, 9:11 am

Pretty much as I had suspected.

Also, glad George stepped in during my absence to point out that the French set is indeed inferior. The prints, while edited, are also from the old analogue masters used for the Compleat Avery LD, so no great step up in quality either.

And there's the 4% PAL pitch shift and speed-up. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 24th, 2007, 4:27 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 25th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Nice to see, but I still don't get why those guys keep covering theatrical shorts releases on their site. It's so bizarre. Still, it's nice that they care and help to promote these releases, I suppose. And, as someone who wrote up the Hardy Boys review for Animated Views, maybe I shouldn't talk, eh? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 4th, 2007, 1:49 pm

I think since theatrical shorts get so much exposure on TV compilation shows, or indeed as "episodes" as they now call them, in their own blocks, they can get away with it, and true to say it's nice them supporting these releases.