Bolt

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by hungry_chicken86 » November 3rd, 2006, 11:59 am

American Dog looks cool and hopefully if its anything like lilo and stitch it will a great film! I'm also really excited about Rapunzel. Saw a lot of test stuff/art/final shots for Meet the Robinsons at a Disney conference and it actually really impressed me, not sure if it will be as successful as the pixar films though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » November 7th, 2006, 8:08 am

Well it will come as no surprise that I'm painfully excited about MTR. The animation is to die for and the whole thing feels so wildly different from anything that's gone before.

Hugely excited about Frog Princess. A fairytale MUSICAL in traditional animation by Musker and Clements, my favourite directors in animation and the creators of my two fave Disney films, Hercules and Aladdin.

But overall I'd say I'm most excited about Rapunzel. Why? For two reasons: Firstly, the animation is supposed to be revolutionary, never been seen type of stuff. Secondly, considering no genre seems to have been touched upon in cg other than comedy, I believe that Rapunzel will pave the way for a wide range of quality cg films and re-establish Disney as the leader of animation in the process.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2006, 9:50 am

Good points. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 7th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Agreed, Chern!

Still can't say I'm too wild about American (or is it Hollywood?) Dog, though. Looks like Cars all over again, 'cept without the cars.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » November 7th, 2006, 7:40 pm

I'm not hugely excited about American Dog but I loved Lilo and Stitch and Mulan so I'm expecting Sanders to pull off another great film. Really hope it isn't Hollywood Dog though. I wasn't raving about American Dog to be honest, far too modern and pop culturish, but Hollywood Dog just sounds like a working title type thing. Then again, I hated the name Wii for ages and that's grown on me so who knows?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 8th, 2006, 2:18 pm

I like the cat with the eye patch in "American Dog".
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Bolt

Post by cboy666 » December 30th, 2006, 12:09 am

I was just thinking, now that american dog has lost it's director, does anybody think it will be ready to be released in 2008.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 30th, 2006, 12:32 am

2008 doesn't seem logical to me. It was intended for 2007, but now that Chris walked away from the project, because of the lack of CG, who knows how long it will be. :(

Usually, it takes 4 years to make a film, so I'm curious, do you guys think its already all drawn up with storyboards and whatnot? If so, than yeah, I do see 2008 being the year of the dog. ;)

Shame, I kind of lost all interest in this film. Chris is brilliant, and has brought so much to Disney, even what could've been the next biggest franshise. (Lilo and Stich) Now to be out of the picture, from his own creation, just seems wrong.

I'm all for 2d making a comeback, but if Chris wanted to go CG, than why not let him? They allowed the guy to use a particular way of animating that hasn't been done since Dumbo on L&S, and looked what happened?

I don't know, maybe I'm thinking to much into this, but I believe he might have tried new techniques that haven't been done in CG world yet.

We'll see soon enough, if Disney made the right choice.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 30th, 2006, 9:06 am

I can't believe, with all the discussions we've had on this picture, that we didn't have an official American Dog thread!!

Thanks for kicking us off good and proper like, cboy! :)

Please continue discussion of Disney's American / Hollywood Dog in this thread.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 30th, 2006, 9:22 am

So is it officail that it's become 2D, or is that just a rumor?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 30th, 2006, 11:30 am

I think it's all rumors at this point, no one (outside Disney anyway) knows anything for sure.

The only thing that seems to be "confirmed" is Chris Sanders being kicked off. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 30th, 2006, 11:52 am

I read on Wik that almost all of Pixar's artists come form Cal Arts. Is this true? If so, I think it's kind of narrow-minded of them, as there are MANY great artists out there who come from all different art schools and colleges. (and all over the world.)

(Although I'm pretty sure Chris Sanders went to Cal Arts.... :wink: :oops: )

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 30th, 2006, 1:11 pm

That sounds sort of far-fetched if you ask me...I've heard of non-CalArts students going to Pixar quite often. A lot of people in Disney and DW come from CalArts as well. :)

(BTW, I reaaaallly want to go to CalArts for college! :P )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 30th, 2006, 1:36 pm

Well, maybe you're right. :) After all Wik's not what you'd call an "authority" on many things.... :roll:

Still, 39 languages are spoken at DWA. Can Pixar say the same? I'm just asking. :) I also read on AN that while Pixar only recruits about 2 or 3 new animators a year, DW goes for at least a dozen. All I'm trying to say is...Pixar seems like a very "closed" and cloistered world. I think many of their artists have been there since the begining so maybe that's why they don't hire that many new guys/girls. They are very used to doing things a certain way so maybe that's why they're so finicky about these projects.

And also for some reason it seems that they're doing away with the personal service contracts started during the Eisner/Katzenberg regime. (There's no contracts at Pixar either.) I don't know enough about this business to know if that's a good or bad thing. :? :roll:
(BTW, I reaaaallly want to go to CalArts for college! )
Yeah, I don't blame you. :wink: But there's also lots of regular universities that offer animation/computer graphics/art programs (Cornell for one! :) ) Or Brown or BU. Or if you want to be right in the zone, there's USC and UCLA! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

American Dog for 2008

Post by cboy666 » December 30th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Honestly, I don't think John Lasseter should run disney feature animation.
Not that I don't like him or anything, but I think he only knows how to run pixar. Why didn't they just appoint one of disney's animators like Glen Keane or Will Finn, or maybe film producer Don Hahn to run WDFA.