Bolt

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 5th, 2007, 2:54 pm

I'd rather have a traditional fairy tale that they were planning on doing.
Yeah be don't know if they were ever originally planning on doing the original fairy tale - hence why it's called The Frog Princess instead of the original title, The Frog Prince!

Anway, directors get booted off projects in the movie biz all the time. It's a shame Chris got his baby taken away from him - and being an artist myself, I really pain for the guy - but that's Hollywood. And for all we know, he may be working on another project as we speak (er, type)...I don't recall him actually leaving Disney (correct me if I'm wrong.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 5th, 2007, 3:22 pm

I don't think, Chris left Disney. They would be crazy, to let him go.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 5th, 2007, 4:16 pm

But Meg, the Frog Princess is a Russian fairy tale in its own right--that's why they were planning on doing it traditionally.
Walking usually means they've been asked to go and saves everyone face.

Oh, you mean like Don Hahn "taking a sabbatical"? :roll: :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 5th, 2007, 8:18 pm

But Meg, the Frog Princess is a Russian fairy tale in its own right--that's why they were planning on doing it traditionally.
I always thought it was called "The Frog Prince", though? Or is this a totally different sotry? I'm confused.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 5th, 2007, 8:24 pm

I was pretty sure that's what it was--Ben actually did say so a while ago:
People, whether they know it or not, are absolutely itching for a traditional traditional Disney movie, and a princess musical is as about as pure as it can be

this one is based on the original fairy-tale (from Russian folklore if I'm not mistaken).

I think as a kid I had both the books the Frog Prince and the Frog Princess, but I don't remember much about them. But they're two different stories.

I agree it is a bit confusing.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2007, 2:29 pm

They are different stories, but it seems Disney has completely lost the Russian angle (too close to Anastasia?) and have done the New Orleans relocation.

As far as I am aware, Chris Sanders was "let go" from Disney with the 160 layoffs that happened recently.

In the case of Don Hahn, he's probably asked for time off and is weighing up decisions. If he can get a good place back at Disney where he's happy, he'll likely jump for that (look for him to have more control over live-action properties) but if he's <I>just</I> stuck/offered animation, then look for him to leave.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 7th, 2007, 4:38 pm

I hope he stays. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 7th, 2007, 7:07 pm

this one is based on the original fairy-tale (from Russian folklore if I'm not mistaken).
The word "based on" is a bit vauge though - it could mean that they wanted to make it more traditional at first, or that it's rooted in the original story but with some tweaks. Y'know?

Anyway, as far as traditional fairy tales go, I'm hoping Rupunzel will give us our fill for those. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 7th, 2007, 10:50 pm

But we're sooooooooo hungry... :wink: :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 14th, 2007, 7:07 am

The word "based on" is a bit vauge though - it could mean that they wanted to make it more traditional at first, or that it's rooted in the original story but with some tweaks. Y'know?
Well, EVERY fairy tale interpretation has "tweaks"--Beauty and the Beast (rose had a different meaning, Belle had sisters, Belle and Beast lived together for years before falling in love) Cinderella, (no singing mice, horse or dog friends) and Snow White and the Seven Dwarves of course. (Dwarves nameless, no singing birds, etc....)

Walt certainly did his share of re-shaping fairy tales, and this continued to the 80s/90's Disney films like Aladdin and Little Mermaid. BUT by "traditonal" people don't mean slavishly sticking to the story in every respect--they mean the essence of fairy tales as being "Long, long ago" or in a magical place, with romance, adventure and drama taking precedence over wise-cracks, pratfalls and hip references. (In other words, comedies.) Was FP originally planned as a comedy by Ron 'n John? Somehow I doubt that.

"Traditional" films are NOT comedies. Every CGI film produced in the last 8 years save The Incredibles has been primarily a comedy. What people are hoping for is a step back from that. That's why I have a problem with Frog Princess being set in the modern-day and Randy Newman as composer/songwriter--how could this NOT turn out to be anything but a comedy? A romantic comedy, perhaps, but a comedy nonetheless. People are VERY tired of them. :roll: Why else do you think everyone has been saying: "Why can't Disney make films the way they used to?" It ain't just the 2d animation..... :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 14th, 2007, 12:05 pm

That's why I have a problem with Frog Princess being set in the modern-day and Randy Newman as composer/songwriter--how could this NOT turn out to be anything but a comedy?
But it's not set in modern day! It's in old-school New Orleans! And we don't know if it's a full-blast comedy yet, or if it'll be 'hip' with lots of pop-culture refrences either. (BTW most of Ron n' Jon's stuff isn't exactly super serious anyway.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 14th, 2007, 9:21 pm

And we don't know if it's a full-blast comedy yet, or if it'll be 'hip' with lots of pop-culture refrences either
I pretty much see those two as the same thing. What ELSE do they make nowadays? Nothing. :roll:

(BTW most of Ron n' Jon's stuff isn't exactly super serious anyway.)
True, but at least they stick to the old-fashioned "epic" sense of real adventure and drama/romance: Hercules, Aladdin, Treasure Planet, The Black Cauldron and The Great Mouse Detective all have lots of humor but are mainly rooted in serious stories about heroes and villains, in other words, epic stories.
I'm not saying that couldn't happen in a New Orleanes setting, but somehow the words "Randy Newman", "animation", and "epic" just don't go together in my mind. :roll:

It's in old-school New Orleans!
How old school? Like, 100 years ago? Jazz has been around for less than that. A big part of the New Orleans culture that we know is jazz, etc....(just check out All Dogs Go to Heaven for some New Orleans culture and you'll see what I mean)

In other words, "hip" and relatively modern-day. In my opinion, anyway. :wink:

Also, didn't The Jungle Book feel mostly like a modern comedy (even with the drama) due to all the jazz/scat references thrown in there? I don't think most people see Jungle Book as an "epic". I don't, anyway. It's just a fun comedy/adventure.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 15th, 2007, 11:59 am

Eh. I don't really see jazz as modern...Pop songs, hip-hop, and rap - that I see as modern.

I can see your take on modern and mine are different, though, so I won't try discussing it farther or anything. After all, we haven't seen a trailer or anything for this yet so I think it's a bit early to judge. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 15th, 2007, 6:45 pm

True....:wink:

All Dogs Go to Heaven was (somewhat awkward) mishmash of magic, gangland dogs and jazz music....maybe it didn't totally work, but it was interesting. :)

Let's hope Frog Princess takes after AD, but makes it better.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 15th, 2007, 8:08 pm

That would be nice!

(I used to watch that movie when I visited my grandma's house in Philly, BTW. I loved it so much...I haven't seen it in ages, though, so maybe I'd feel different if I saw it today. :P)